ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
May 19, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #1,981 of 2,544
Hardly anyone allows warranty transfers. It can run a business out of business. The headphones do have a,warranty bought new. The price you paid was almost the new price.

May 19, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #1,982 of 2,544
I am glad everyone has had great service with him but mine has been bad. He has ignored my issue every email and wants to keep reinforcing that the wood is strong which isn't my concern.

To tell me that the warranty isn't transferable leaves a bad taste in my mouth when there is various for sale ads out there where it seems Zach will honor a warranty transfer.

I was wrong with the price, the total was $1,039.99 http://imgur.com/a/cCYhh but my point is still that for a headphone that costs this much, there should still be a warranty and they should arrive in excellent shape/condition. These headphones also came with only one set of pads and if I remember correctly, the Ori used to come with a couple.

These are Zach's Modified Fostex, a $179 headphone that he adds beautiful wood cups to and acoustic material for his house sound. If there is an issue with the part that makes up the other $900 of the purchase I'd hope that he would help remedy it.

If there's a problem with a used pair of headphones, or you aren't happy with them, why wouldn't you take it up with the person that sold them to you? You have no idea what that person did to them while they had them, or what they did to make the driver come loose, and it may be part of the reason why they sold them in the first place. Slight abnormalities in the wood are normal and not considered a warranty issue. The warranty doesn't transfer either. It's all right there in the warranty info on the ZMF webpage. Probably something you should check on if you're spending that much money. Also, that person that you bought them from obviously decided to keep the extra pair of ear pads. Sounds like a shady dude.

Just FYI, but I also have a pair of Bocote Ori and the plastic sticks out a bit on mine too. I've never considered it an issue. Doesn't affect the sound.

May 19, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #1,983 of 2,544
The wood looks great. Egg-shaped? Doesn't look like it to me, maybe the protruding baffles is making an illusion in person that doesn't show up in pics? Either way, slight variances occur in wood working, it's nothing to worry about.

Warranty is not transferable, it's all right there on the website. Even still, Zach fixed them for free anyways. I'd call that good customer service.

If you paid $1200 on a used Ori, someone massively ripped you off. Exotic wood Ori's sell for around $6-700 here on the forums and that's on the upper end. I've seen them as cheap as $500 used.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #1,984 of 2,544
If there's a problem with a used pair of headphones, or you aren't happy with them, why wouldn't you take it up with the person that sold them to you? You have no idea what that person did to them while they had them, or what they did to make the driver come loose, and it may be part of the reason why they sold them in the first place. Slight abnormalities in the wood are normal and not considered a warranty issue. The warranty doesn't transfer either. It's all right there in the warranty info on the ZMF webpage. Probably something you should check on if you're spending that much money. Also, that person that you bought them from obviously decided to keep the extra pair of ear pads. Sounds like a shady dude.

Just FYI, but I also have a pair of Bocote Ori and the plastic sticks out a bit on mine too. I've never considered it an issue. Doesn't affect the sound.

The person who I purchased them from has actually been super cool in this whole process. I may go back to him to remedy if Zach cannot help but so far the original purchaser has emailed Zach to get the extra pads and has since sent them to me.

In my interaction with Zach, it's him pointing me to his website and saying I am SOL since he doesn't allow the warranty to stay with the product. Yet there is a classified ad for an Atticus with an email from Zach saying he will warranty transfer.

My post here is to point out that Zach isn't the same person to everyone. He will help only if you buy directly from him but the second someone buys second hand he doesn't care about you because his website says the warranty is voided.

To me that doesn't make sense when he still got the full value for the headphones, so if someone is unhappy with the sound they now have to take a price hit to resale because no warranty. It has since made me not want to own any of the ZMF that I currently do and I don't want to promote the brand any more.

So my options now are to send them back to the original owner and he's supposed to contact Zach and somehow get a different response? That doesn't make much sense to me.

May 19, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #1,985 of 2,544
The wood looks great. Egg-shaped? Doesn't look like it to me, maybe the protruding baffles is making an illusion in person that doesn't show up in pics? Either way, slight variances occur in wood working, it's nothing to worry about.

Warranty is not transferable, it's all right there on the website. Even still, Zach fixed them for free anyways. I'd call that good customer service.

If you paid $1200 on a used Ori, someone massively ripped you off. Exotic wood Ori's sell for around $6-700 here on the forums and that's on the upper end. I've seen them as cheap as $500 used.
I am not going to argue with you. Yes I should have noticed the warranty wasn't transferable, I thought it was a 1 year warranty and I was good. Plus Zach has allowed warranties to transfer so I never gave much though to it.

The headphones have an issue and the maker of them has told me to go kick rocks. That is why I have came here. Hopefully people considering ZMF see my post and think twice before purchasing used and new.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #1,986 of 2,544
The person who I purchased them from has actually been super cool in this whole process. I may go back to him to remedy if Zach cannot help but so far the original purchaser has emailed Zach to get the extra pads and has since sent them to me.

In my interaction with Zach, it's him pointing me to his website and saying I am SOL since he doesn't allow the warranty to stay with the product. Yet there is a classified ad for an Atticus with an email from Zach saying he will warranty transfer.

My post here is to point out that Zach isn't the same person to everyone. He will help only if you buy directly from him but the second someone buys second hand he doesn't care about you because his website says the warranty is voided.

To me that doesn't make sense when he still got the full value for the headphones, so if someone is unhappy with the sound they now have to take a price hit to resale because no warranty. It has since made me not want to own any of the ZMF that I currently do and I don't want to promote the brand any more.

So my options now are to send them back to the original owner and he's supposed to contact Zach and somehow get a different response? That doesn't make much sense to me.

I'll have to disagree with the bolded. I've had dealings with Zach over second hand products and he was just as helpful as with new.

Zach has transferred warranties in the past on a select case by case basis. In all events I've seen, the headphones are barely a couple weeks old or less and have essentially not been used more than a couple hours.

Your entire complaint is based around a warranty you didn't understand and the miniscule variances that comes with custom wood headphones. All on a second hand pair of headphones.

Even through all of this, he STILL fixed the drivers for FREE out of warranty for you.

May 19, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #1,987 of 2,544
I'll have to disagree with the bolded. I've had dealings with Zach over second hand products and he was just as helpful as with new.

Zach has transferred warranties in the past on a select case by case basis. In all events I've seen, the headphones are barely a couple weeks old or less and have essentially not been used more than a couple hours.

My point exactly, case by case basis. The original owner had them for roughly two weeks before he sent them to me so they would fall under this blanket. When I first contacted Zach he never told me that they were out of warrantied, he said to send them in and he will take a look at them. Only after I started pressing my point on the wood did he snap and say that I was even lucky he worked on them. It would have been awesome knowledge to have known this before I even sent them into him.

May 19, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #1,988 of 2,544
I blame the seller. He/she knew all of this and sold them at a new price. They had two weeks to return them per ZMF's return policy.

May 19, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #1,989 of 2,544
My point exactly, case by case basis. The original owner had them for roughly two weeks before he sent them to me so they would fall under this blanket. When I first contacted Zach he never told me that they were out of warrantied, he said to send them in and he will take a look at them. Only after I started pressing my point on the wood did he snap and say that I was even lucky he worked on them. It would have been awesome knowledge to have known this before I even sent them into him.

There is no blanket. Case by case basis that is pretty rare. It's not Zach's job to make sure you read his warranty page.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #1,990 of 2,544
In my interaction with Zach, it's him pointing me to his website and saying I am SOL

Instead of try to "defend" myself I just want to post my interaction via email. There are other more innocuous emails pertaining to this headphone but I think this direct copy and paste from our email chain explains everything pertinent to this situation. Sorry guys for the off topic post, hopefully we can get back to talking gear!

Dear ******,

As mentioned earlier this kind of minor shrinkage for rare exotic hardwoods is typical, and in this case the baffle extends 1.75mm at most from the wood. The headphone is in beautiful shape and in perfect structural and sonic condition. The driver was tension-ed for no cost but shipping even though this is beyond our policy of servicing headphones for free that were not purchased directly from us as this headphone is out of warranty. I am happy to go beyond our policies to a reasonable point but cannot do anything further for these headphones as they are in good shape and have been fully inspected. I have been building wood headphones for years and I can promise you I take great care in our wood selection, processing and assembly. There are quirks to modified hand-built wood headphones that plastic production line headphones do not have, and if you decide this particular set is not for you I fully understand.

Thanks so much for trying our headphones and I will get these back to you when we receive shipping cost. Again, please confirm your address when making payment.

----------

Also - I do want to mention that warranty transfers are not arbitrary or on a case by case basis. When someone emails me and says they want to cancel their headphone order or return their headphones, I point them to our website policies and explain that I will transfer the warranty to the new owner. The warranty transfers only in cases when someone emails me and tells me they are selling the headphone to someone else within the 14 day return period. I do this because I am aware that our return and cancellation policy is not as good as that of larger companies, and I want to make sure the initial buyer of our headphones has the best experience possible even if they decide not to keep the headphone.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 20, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #1,991 of 2,544
@ModestMeowth is that seriously the email that you are getting worked up on? I'm not seeing anywhere that he isn't being friendly and professional. Where is he telling you to kick rocks or not being upfront with anything?

It isn't Zach's fault that you didn't read the warranty terms before purchasing. Most manufacturers do not support warranty transfers (I'm actually struggling to think of who does). Despite that, he repaired it for free and just asked for the cost of shipping. That seems fair to me. Why should Zach be out the money for shipping when he was doing you a favour? Again, this is on you. If I purchase something used, and am concerned about the warranty, I check on it beforehand.

And I believe the Atticus warranty transfer you are referring to is a pre-order pair that hasn't even been shipped yet. You are basically taking that person's spot in line. Or it falls under the scope of what he posted above. Everything regarding warranty and returns are stated on his site. It isn't the manufacturer's problem that you neglected to read it.

I'm all for people posting issues they have with a manufacturer so others can be more informed. That is what makes public forums so valuable. You can get both the good and the bad and make your own decision. But I'm sorry, you are wrong here. You are saying that Zach was being rude and told you were SOL and 'kick rocks', when he clearly has not done that. You are going on about the black bezel protruding slightly, which is normal and I've shown you his own site pictures that show the same thing. Plus other's have commented that it is normal. AND Zach himself has said so too.

May 22, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #1,992 of 2,544
@ModestMeowth is that seriously the email that you are getting worked up on? I'm not seeing anywhere that he isn't being friendly and professional. Where is he telling you to kick rocks or not being upfront with anything?

It isn't Zach's fault that you didn't read the warranty terms before purchasing. Most manufacturers do not support warranty transfers (I'm actually struggling to think of who does). Despite that, he repaired it for free and just asked for the cost of shipping. That seems fair to me. Why should Zach be out the money for shipping when he was doing you a favour? Again, this is on you. If I purchase something used, and am concerned about the warranty, I check on it beforehand.

And I believe the Atticus warranty transfer you are referring to is a pre-order pair that hasn't even been shipped yet. You are basically taking that person's spot in line. Or it falls under the scope of what he posted above. Everything regarding warranty and returns are stated on his site. It isn't the manufacturer's problem that you neglected to read it.

I'm all for people posting issues they have with a manufacturer so others can be more informed. That is what makes public forums so valuable. You can get both the good and the bad and make your own decision. But I'm sorry, you are wrong here. You are saying that Zach was being rude and told you were SOL and 'kick rocks', when he clearly has not done that. You are going on about the black bezel protruding slightly, which is normal and I've shown you his own site pictures that show the same thing. Plus other's have commented that it is normal. AND Zach himself has said so too.

That is Zach's last and final message to me. I replied to his email 4 days ago and he has since ignored it but had come here to the forum to restore peace with all the others instead of the one having the issue.

When I first emailed Zach he said to send the headphones in and never mentioned that it was an out of warranty service. He could have stated that it was so and I would have avoided this whole mess and returned them to the original owner.

May 22, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #1,993 of 2,544
That is Zach's last and final message to me. I replied to his email 4 days ago and he has since ignored it but had come here to the forum to restore peace with all the others instead of the one having the issue.

When I first emailed Zach he said to send the headphones in and never mentioned that it was an out of warranty service. He could have stated that it was so and I would have avoided this whole mess and returned them to the original owner.

Hey @ModestMeowth - first off I want to thank you for getting two sets of Ori's, even though you didn't buy them from me I am really flattered that you like the headphones enough to get two pairs. It makes me super happy when people enjoy my headphones. I've dedicated my life to making headphones and seeing others enjoy them is really the ultimate for me. I've learned a lot from starting off as a headphone modder to where I'm at now in headphones, life, and business. It's a ton of fun.

By the time I read your email you had already brought the matter of your headphones to this forum, I'm not sure what to do at this point but wait for you to send me your address and payment for shipping so I can get your headphones back to you.

Here is a picture I snapped of your headphone 5 minutes ago, it's all ready!
IMG_3930.JPG

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 3, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #1,995 of 2,544
Many years ago, I worked numerous exotic woods, 27 different species to be exact. Simply put, they are individual, and nothing like plastic. Now and then a customer would make an 'observation' as to the color, texture, rightness of the grain amongst other grains, etc. It seems that some folk look right past the actual character of this once living tree, and go right on to discuss how it can be made as flat as formica, with the same 'perfect' grain. It is a miracle that wood succumbs to our desire as well as it does, and God forbid should it act naturally. FWIW, I am now waiting on a used set of ORI headphones, and am of course, more than just curious as to the blackwood sound it will have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back