ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
May 9, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #7,171 of 7,371
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 10, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #7,172 of 7,371
I actually just got my thick’s in today. And I prefer the stock because I feel the thick’s take away the dynamics that makes the caldera really fun for me. That said the thicks bring the bass to where I personally want them, but I’m not willing to trade the dynamics for it.

Depending on the genre I’m listening to that will decide which I use though.
Stock pads are good too. More neutral and as you say even more dynamic which is one of the strengths of Caldera. The choice will be ear and system dependent. I too love the lively and dynamic character of the Caldera, but for me personally the upper mid/lower treble intensity can get just a little too much after 1-2 hours of listening. The thick pads tame this area just a little bit, enough for me to reach a perfect balance for longer listening. Yes, you trade in a few percentages of those crazy dynamics, but there is so much of that to start with, for me it doesn't really feel like a trade-off. With the suede pads or with the mantle mesh the trade-off is too much for my ears, I don't like the level of dynamics getting lost there. The thick pads are just the perfect balance for me; not the most neutral, but a little easier listen while it still keeps the strongest treats of the Caldera. The sweet spot will be different for everyone, and there is no one perfect recipe for all.

May 10, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #7,173 of 7,371
These just got delivered this afternoon. Good way for the weekend to start. :)
IMG_4587.jpeg
IMG_4572.jpeg
IMG_4578.jpeg
IMG_4581.jpeg

May 10, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #7,176 of 7,371
Happy Friday ya maniacs :dt880smile:

vBKg7vJ.jpg

May 10, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #7,178 of 7,371
Any idea of the Bokeh pads sound good on Caldera?

Funny side story - I went on a Caldera pad rolling spree on my former Susvara, and in the process, ended up with two pairs of Cowhide. I sold them all, acquired a Caldera, and now have no Cowhide pads. Eh, maybe it's not that funny.

May 10, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #7,179 of 7,371

Funny side story - I went on a Caldera pad rolling spree on my former Susvara, and in the process, ended up with two pairs of Cowhide. I sold them all, acquired a Caldera, and now have no Cowhide pads. Eh, maybe it's not that funny.
I love the Bokeh pads on the AC. They're very very similar to the stock Caldera lamb pads but have a bit snappier transients and attack. That's the biggest difference, it seems to add just a touch more speed and impact.

May 10, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #7,180 of 7,371
Love it! Such a classy looking headphone. Congrats and enjoy!
Thanks! And gorgeous sounding paired with the Eletech Inferno cable out of the SAEQ Hyperion Ge/Holo Spring 3 KTE. :)

May 10, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #7,181 of 7,371
Here are some genres that Caldera especially specializes in: :darthsmile:
- Haken, Polyphia, Agent Fresco, Rishloo, Porcupine Tree, Soen, Caligula's Horse, Riverside and many more for progressive metal.
- The Aristocrats, Oz Noy, Dirty Loops, Cory Wong, Alain Caron and countless many for jazz fusion and jazz funk.
- The Strokes especially Is This It album is incredible on the Caldera.
- 311, Dirty Heads, Stick Figure and many more for reggae rock.
- Every kind of film score.

Yessss I love prog metal! Just found out that my stabilized Caldera from the last drop is coming on Tuesday, so I'm eagerly planning the first playlist now. There will be some Polyphia and Caligula's Horse for sure. I think the first song will have to be one of Ne Obliviscaris's many masterpieces...

May 10, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #7,182 of 7,371

It's been a while since I tested them all - I think the protein bokeh pads worked best and weren't far off from the normal Caldera pads, the rest did some weird stuff to the mids from what I remember and didn't boost the bass as much as I expected them too.

May 10, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #7,183 of 7,371
Would like to purchase a 10ft cable with a 4pin XLR for the Caldera. Like the ZMF Verite Silver, but it will cost me over $1k for the desired length. Any other suggestions on par to the Verite Silver at the fraction of the price?
Forza Noir Hybrid. I use Verite Silver with my Caldera, but Forza Noir Hybrid with my Utopia, to GREAT effect. You can certainly get better, fancier cables than Forza, but you can't get better value for your money, and I would put it right on par with ZMF's own cables.

May 10, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #7,184 of 7,371
May 10, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #7,185 of 7,371
I think I am starting to understand the "veil" on my Elites. I doubted it before but after many long multi-hour jam sessions with the Elites on the MJ3 / MiB stack, it's starting to bug me. Not sure if it the veil, or the amp, pretty sure it's not the dac. The MJ3 pumps out the bass, and fairly cleanly too. Probably not as cleanly as some other amps. But whatever, I need to get a Caldera as I need cans that are energetic, tight, clean, and NOT laid back. I think that adequately describes the Caldera. The MiB definitely does expose bad recordings more so than did the LiM. The amp passes it thru, and the Elites (I think) I have been pushing to their practical limits. Not the angled alcantara pads though. The Elites are not a bad headphone. But I think (hope) the Caldera is all that. By all accounts, they are. So apparently I am not at the "end game". LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back