ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 11, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #6,781 of 7,608
I was in the ZMF Room and sat down next to a guy listening to the Aegis. I recognized his Caldera from the photos here on the thread. Turns out it was AcousticMatt. Such a random encounter 🤣

"Excuse me sir, don't take this the wrong way but I recognize your Caldera"
Only in this insane hobby would "headphone recognition skills" result in dialog.

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #6,782 of 7,608
Fun note (on this topic, but not related to CanJam NYC, apologies)- I had a very emotional experience with my Verité Closed listening to a live concert recording last week (Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged)… great headphones in the right chain/setup can evoke that kind of reaction.
Yeah, I miss Layne Staley. The 1990's alternative rock and grunge scene was a cool time. I was in college at the time and blowing my school funds on way too many CDs at the local swap shop. Most were second-hand CDs so some savings there.

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #6,783 of 7,608
Only in this insane hobby would "headphone recognition skills" result in dialog.

Once in a great while, it happens on planes, too.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #6,785 of 7,608
Do people actually take big-time headphones like the Caldera on board planes? That's kind of hard for me to imagine...
The sort of people who buy $4k headphones do all sorts of zany things. :wink:lol

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #6,786 of 7,608
Do people actually take big-time headphones like the Caldera on board planes? That's kind of hard for me to imagine...

Actually, no, I don't think so. Good point.

I've spent most of my life designing IEMs, so I had that in my mind when I typed that. I was thinking more of Head-Fi gear in general getting recognized. Oops.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #6,787 of 7,608
Yeah, if I saw ZMF out in the wild I'd try and strike up a conversation if they were not too lost in the music. I don't travel with them, except for taking my Atrium Opens to CanJam in 2023, because I want to avoid banging them up. I use a TakStar Pro 82 or the DCA Aeon 2 Noires as they fold up nicely with a small pack when traveling.

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #6,789 of 7,608
I bring my atrium close @work and other public quiet areas if I want some scenario while reading mangas. No one has approached me yet. Apart from co-workers. A lot of em are afraid to listen and I don’t blame them once I share price. They are afraid they’ll love em.

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #6,790 of 7,608
The 1990's alternative rock and grunge scene was a cool time. I was in college at the time and blowing my school funds on way too many CDs at the local swap shop. Most were second-hand CDs so some savings there.
Me too, me too. I went to school in the PNW (ie the rain-filled, dark corner of the country), and we were thrilled that “our” music was mainstream!

If you’re ever in Seattle, definitely visit the MoPOP (https://www.mopop.org) that has great music exhibits and KEXP’s studio (KEXP.org), two seminal places to stop by for any rock/grunge fan. And drop me a line in advance and we might be able to meet up!

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #6,791 of 7,608
Naw, Shure IEMs only (with my Sony WM1A as the source)- gotta travel light. 😉

That said, I love my Shure SE535s and have custom ear molds and a Norne SX4 cable to go with them- they are lovely.

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #6,794 of 7,608
I bring my atrium close @work and other public quiet areas if I want some scenario while reading mangas. No one has approached me yet. Apart from co-workers. A lot of em are afraid to listen and I don’t blame them once I share price. They are afraid they’ll love em.

The Bokeh is my travelling headphones on planes so not that hard to imagine.

(insert admiration emoji for California ... seriously)

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #6,795 of 7,608
IMG_6045.jpgIMG_6049.JPG

Officially joined the ZMF family after meeting the tremendously passionate, talented, and amazing team consisting of Zach, Bev, AJ and so many others at CanJam! So far, I am a fan of the Calderas but am waiting to try out the mesh mantle + thick pads to try and tame some of those upper mids, particularly for vocals. I also have a WA23 LUNA coming in tomorrow so I am excited to see how that pairs. But in the meantime, the Calderas definitely seem to act more akin to a dynamic driver than any other planar I've heard. You sacrifice some speed for a meaty, powerful sound with strong timbre and PRaT---definitely a musical treat.

I also had some fun taking and editing some photos of a Stabilzed Wood LTD pair that I took home with me (still deciding what to name her :)). She is a bit more turquoise than green IRL.

DSC01878.JPGIMG_6046.jpgIMG_6048.jpgIMG_6026.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back