ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 12, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #5,926 of 7,091
By November Caldera's you only mean stabilized? Crossing fingers a pair of age oak are going to Spain =D
btw I been trying to find caldera lambskin stock pad fr charts with the thick lambskin, and wasn't able. Does anybody knows a link?

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #5,928 of 7,091
What may be more true is that many passionate hobbyists, such as myself, do not have in-depth knowledge of acoustic research, a complicated topic on a good day that requires specialized study that goes beyond what most of us spend our time obsessing about: enjoying great music, trying new gear, and finding what we like and enjoy in our music listening.

That is the nature of people who are audiophiles who consume products vs. scientists and developers who do the R&D and produce products (with some awe inspiring exceptions).
I wholeheartedly agree, and would add that half of the equation of hearing is psychological. Wavey air (as Goldensound so amusingly refers to it) without a brain to process it is meaningless. If I, an audiophile, hear a headphone and my brain processes the sound as "good" no measurement of any sort is going to convince me I'm wrong. It baffles me that the ASR people don't get this.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #5,929 of 7,091
I previously asked about seeing a visual difference between the Caldera Stock and Thick pads and now well uhh I have the same question about the visual difference between the Caldera Stock and Thins, should it be a obvious difference?

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #5,930 of 7,091
Wavey air (as Goldensound so amusingly refers to it) without a brain to process it is meaningless.

colorful way to put it (pun intended:wink:)

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #5,931 of 7,091
I previously asked about seeing a visual difference between the Caldera Stock and Thick pads and now well uhh I have the same question about the visual difference between the Caldera Stock and Thins, should it be a obvious difference?
If you have them next to each other, yes. If you only have one pair I wouldn't expect you to be able to look at it and go "oh, those are definitely thick"

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #5,932 of 7,091
Anyone ever found the best pads for the Caldera? On a recent video from "The Headphones Show" they talked about the pads from Dekoni LCD Suede, I wonder what it's good for and how does it fit since it's a different headphone company altogether.
I've recently switched from the stock regular to the stock suede and it seems fine after the burn in time I put them on for a moment.

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #5,933 of 7,091
Anyone ever found the best pads for the Caldera? On a recent video from "The Headphones Show" they talked about the pads from Dekoni LCD Suede, I wonder what it's good for and how does it fit since it's a different headphone company altogether.
I've recently switched from the stock regular to the stock suede and it seems fine after the burn in time I put them on for a moment.

Stock pads is my favorite

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #5,934 of 7,091
colorful way to put it (pun intended:wink:)
Well, I mean seriously though - we know that the human ear cannot "hear" sounds above 20Khz, right? But we also know that that noise filters above this level meaningfully affect what we do hear. So, just because my ear cannot consciously "hear" sounds at 40Khz, does that mean that my brain doesn't receive any meaningful data from that region? Apparently not, and the apparent ASR assumption that this is well understood is laughable.

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #5,935 of 7,091
I like DMS, but he has peculiar preferences sometimes. He seems to really love super plush suede pads, going back to the original Audeze suedes (which were really nice).

The ZMF pads available for the Caldera cover a lot of ground, and one should be able to find their preferred pads among them. There are a lot of people who like the stock pads, the suede pads, the thick pads, etc... Just really depends on the sound your looking for.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #5,936 of 7,091
I like DMS, but he has peculiar preferences sometimes. He seems to really love super plush suede pads, going back to the original Audeze suedes (which were really nice).

The ZMF pads available for the Caldera cover a lot of ground, and one should be able to find their preferred pads amongst them. There are a lot of people who like the stock pads, the suede pads, the thick pads, etc... Just really depends on the sound your looking for.
Setting aside the sonic differences, I find thin shallow pads less comfortable than thick plush pads, so sonic differences be what they may I am opting for the thick squishy option 100% of the time.

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #5,937 of 7,091
I wouldn't use the Dekoni LCD pads on the Caldera since you have to mount them using the 3M tape. If someone has come up with an adaptor you can 3D print out to mount to the Caldera, then maybe. I am admittedly biased, as I am a ZMF pad fanboy.

I like DMS's videos, but I am not going to stick pads on my Caldera using 3M tape on his opinion alone.

The best pads for the Caldera are the ones you like the best. Personally, for me it's the Ultra Perfs, and the Suede and I switch it out once every couple of weeks.

Dec 13, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #5,938 of 7,091
I don't have the caldera yet. I've ordered both lambskin stock and thick.

Found these charts comparing both:

Stock vs thin: source
pads-25.png

stock vs thick: source
kuva-7.png

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #5,939 of 7,091
Erm thats appreciated Honeypot, but I meant visual, being able to tell them apart, as in should the thin be visually thinner than the stock so you can tell them apart.

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #5,940 of 7,091
Erm thats appreciated Honeypot, but I meant visual, being able to tell them apart, as in should the thin be visually thinner than the stock so you can tell them apart.
IMO it is easy to recognise the thin pads, as those look and feel really thin/shallow versus the stock pads. To me it is a bit trickier to tell the thick and stock pads apart at first glance, but if you put them next to each other, the thick will be visibly thicker.

PXL_20231213_185215536.jpg
thick vs. stock (max depth app. 38 mm vs. 33 mm)

PXL_20231213_185305506.MP.jpg
stock vs. thin (max depth app. 33 mm vs. 28 mm)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back