ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 7, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #5,851 of 7,609
DMS mentioned the Dekoni LCD Suede pads took the Caldera to another tier by taming the treble spikes.
How would one go about using these pads on the Caldera? They are intended to be glued to LCD headphones in the usual manner.

I can't quite tell from the Dekoni page, but it looks like the pads have the conventional back flap that normally would be threaded into the groove behind the earcup's backplate (in the ZMF manner). But could this even be attempted with that removable plastic paper glue cover still in place? Hard to imagine.

Or would one simply glue the pad to the circumference of the Caldera's earcup? That seems pretty random, considering that the glue always leaves glue patches behind when removed; then the user has to (uber-carefully) use some kind of cue tip + solvent to remove the patches (scary idea w/a Caldera).

The real question here should be: why am I thinking about Dekoni pads when I like the ZMF lambskin thicks as much as I do?

"Paging audio psychotherapist: you have a call on the white courtesy phone"

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #5,852 of 7,609
How would one go about using these pads on the Caldera? They are intended to be glued to LCD headphones in the usual manner.

I can't quite tell from the Dekoni page, but it looks like the pads have the conventional back flap that normally would be threaded into the groove behind the earcup's backplate (in the ZMF manner). But could this even be attempted with that removable plastic paper glue cover still in place? Hard to imagine.

Or would one simply glue the pad to the circumference of the Caldera's earcup? That seems pretty random, considering that the glue always leaves glue patches behind when removed; then the user has to (uber-carefully) use some kind of cue tip + solvent to remove the patches (scary idea w/a Caldera).

The real question here should be: why am I thinking about Dekoni pads when I like the ZMF lambskin thicks as much as I do?

"Paging audio psychotherapist: you have a call on the white courtesy phone"
I personally never really understood third party replacement earpads. The couple I tried just confirmed my beliefs that the best earpads are those developed by the headphone's manufacturer. I don't feel the need for the Dekoni pads with 5 ZMF earpad options for the Caldera. I too love the thick pads. Just because DMS said he likes them doesn't mean I would like them too. Our taste and preference often do not line up.

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #5,853 of 7,609
I personally never really understood third party replacement earpads. The couple I tried just confirmed my beliefs that the best earpads are those developed by the headphone's manufacturer. I don't feel the need for the Dekoni pads with 5 ZMF earpad options for the Caldera. I too love the thick pads. Just because DMS said he likes them doesn't mean I would like them too. Our taste and preference often do not line up.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I've never had any luck with Dekoni pads in the past. To be honest the only 'aftermarket' pad thats worked for me are the ZMF 6XX pads for my HD600. Other than that nothing that I've tried has been a viable replacement to the manufacturers stock pads.

By his own admission DMS hasn't had a lot of experience with the Caldera and hasn't released a review of it yet so I'm not putting a ton of stock into what his impressions are yet. On the polarizing 180+ headphone tier video all three reviewers were giving their assessments based on little to in some cases zero time spent with the headphones that they were ranking so until I hear a long form review where the reviewer has a unit in their own home with various source pairings I'm not taking their words very seriously.

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #5,854 of 7,609
Funny thing is ZMF makes 3rd party pads for other brands and they are the only 3rd party pads I like. The 6XX pads are great and don't change the 6XX sound signature.

The ZMF pads and crescent strap are the only reason I still own my HD800s.

By his own admission DMS hasn't had a lot of experience with the Caldera and hasn't released a review of it yet so I'm not putting a ton of stock into what his impressions are yet. On the polarizing 180+ headphone tier video all three reviewers were giving their assessments based on little to in some cases zero time spent with the headphones that they were ranking so until I hear a long form review where the reviewer has a unit in their own home with various source pairings I'm not taking their words very seriously.
I don't think we are going to see a Caldera review from DMS as long as he works for Headphone.com as a reviewer. Zach said in the earlier posts that he doesn't want video reviews from retailers, and DMS works for Headphones.com as a video reviewer. I don't think you will see it on his personal channel either since that does not change the fact he works/contracts with Headphones.com.

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #5,855 of 7,609
I don't think we are going to see a Caldera review from DMS as long as he works for Headphone.com as a reviewer. Zach said in the earlier posts that he doesn't want video reviews from retailers, and DMS works for Headphones.com as a video reviewer. I don't think you will see it on his personal channel either since that does not change the fact he works/contracts with Headphones.com.
I'm totally okay with that. DMS has had a few reviews in the past with ZMF products on his own channel and I agree with most of his impressions for the products that we've both shared time with. I found the Headphone tier video an entertaining watch but if we're hearing definitive evaluations based on 5min, one pad, one source, CanJam show conditions I'd rather they just not include those impressions in the video. Unless the reviewer has a unit in their own home, own equipment with multiple pad options for an extended period of time it's not a valid enough review to take seriously.

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #5,856 of 7,609
Legitimately haven't found a song on my list that doesn't sound phenomenal on Caldera. They're captivating and super addictive. The reviews that I've seen people call them a 'Planar with soul' are entirely accurate. I'm beyond impressed with them.

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #5,857 of 7,609
Dec 7, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #5,858 of 7,609
Legitimately haven't found a song on my list that doesn't sound phenomenal on Caldera. They're captivating and super addictive. The reviews that I've seen people call them a 'Planar with soul' are entirely accurate. I'm beyond impressed with them.
I'm with ya! My order arrived today and right away I'm enamored. Been on my head for several hours and enjoying going through all the music files. Best planar I've ever experienced. Running them with the BF2 to Violectric V222 and it is fantastic. I have a few other DAC and amp combos to try and I'm sure it'll perform fine on all. Homage is on order too.

20231207_141411.jpg

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #5,859 of 7,609
I use tracks like these to test planars pushing the drivers to the limit since it has a lot of electro highs/lows going on:

Caldera handled these no problem at all! The bass performance is outstanding too.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #5,860 of 7,609

Ah i've been thinking about that also. I might just ask a shop near me if I can place order for pads without the glue. They looks like the have a back flap like ZMF pads.

True, I have 4 of the Caldera pads and I settled down with the thick pads. To me it is not about DMS or Dekoni though, it's more about a potential combination that might give Caldera a different flavor. Perhaps it's just because I really like the Caldera, I wanna try all the possibilities it can bring (and I can afford). It is just like every time I hear about an amp that suits the Caldera, I immediately think... now where can I try it.
I will never get out of this rabbit hole, wont I?

Dec 7, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #5,861 of 7,609
To me it is not about DMS or Dekoni though, it's more about a potential combination that might give Caldera a different flavor.

Completely agree

In this hobby, trying stuff is part of the fun. I detese the term "end game". Not so much for its delusional connations 🤪 But because I never want the game to end, and I never want to arrive at a final destination. The journey itself is part of the fun. Discovering new headphones, a new amp, cable, tubes, pads.. and beautiful synergies.

And keeping an open mind and be willing ot experiment is a recipe for bliss (well, my kind anyway)

Using pads across brands can often work wonders. I've actually used ZMF pads across several brands and found some fantastic combinations; Not so much the other way around, simply because ZMF has such a big selection it's practically not necessary for me.. but sure, whatever floats one's boat :)

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #5,863 of 7,609
I'm totally okay with that. DMS has had a few reviews in the past with ZMF products on his own channel and I agree with most of his impressions for the products that we've both shared time with. I found the Headphone tier video an entertaining watch but if we're hearing definitive evaluations based on 5min, one pad, one source, CanJam show conditions I'd rather they just not include those impressions in the video. Unless the reviewer has a unit in their own home, own equipment with multiple pad options for an extended period of time it's not a valid enough review to take seriously.
Yeah I could not make it through that tier list video. It was 2 hours long and kinda boring for me. Mainly because of what I watched they all agreed on most everything and what is the fun in that. I wanted to see some heated back and forth, but because all 3 of them share the same sound preferences for the most part, most of what I watched was 'yeah I agree with you'.

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #5,864 of 7,609
Yeah I could not make it through that tier list video. It was 2 hours long and kinda boring for me. Mainly because of what I watched they all agreed on most everything and what is the fun in that. I wanted to see some heated back and forth, but because all 3 of them share the same sound preferences for the most part, most of what I watched was 'yeah I agree with you'.
I just watch/read YouTube or site reviews just for the fun of it. It is impossible to depend my purchase preferences on them. A certain amount of real life time must be spent to get to know a product. Also, you almost all the time never get to know what that reviewer’s actual tendency towards music or sound is. A meticulous and long research on real user experience where users will also share with you their preferences, how they like or hear music and even their life styles has proven to yield much more reliable results.

Dec 8, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #5,865 of 7,609
I just watch/read YouTube or site reviews just for the fun of it. It is impossible to depend my purchase preferences on them. A certain amount of real life time must be spent to get to know a product. Also, you almost all the time never get to know what that reviewer’s actual tendency towards music or sound is. A meticulous and long research on real user experience where users will also share with you their preferences, how they like or hear music and even their life styles has proven to yield much more reliable results.
Personally, I think the word review should not be applied to audio at all. It's not like a peer review of a scientific paper in the Institute for Scientific Information where there are standards for the validity of the science, experimental design, or the ethics of the methods used.

It's not like there is a set standard for what good holographic soundstage is, or what constitutes good timbre. Heck a lot of folks can't agree if the Harmon target is a good thing or not.

Don't use the word review at all when it comes to audio and just use the word opinion.

That's my opinion at least.....Ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back