ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Oct 1, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #5,266 of 7,609
Classical music sure needs air and for this Caldera may not be as airy as other mentioned models but hey, wooden Caldera playing wooden instruments is I feel as natural/organic as it gets.

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #5,267 of 7,609
So it's the overall experience in sum of all parts, rather than the separated parts itself.

Which is, in my view, what matters. :)

Oct 2, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #5,268 of 7,609
Oct 3, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #5,269 of 7,609
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 3, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #5,270 of 7,609
Very detailed review from Dan over at Headmania: https://headmania.org/2023/09/27/calderas-symphony-where-craftsmanship-meets-sonic-excellence/

He's been one of my favorite reviewers since before ZMF was making proprietary headphones, honored to have him cover us!
After reading that review it made me want to pad swap again. And this time I landed back on the suede pads and remembered what I first loved about the Caldera when I got them 10 months ago with suede installed. Just such a sweet midrange and pleasant warm sound. And this time around, I’m not hearing any issues with the bass impact and dynamics. The sound is just so addictive. The suede also sounds much better with my Focal Arche amp. Before it was a hint thin and harsh but now warm and rich sounding. Thought about selling pads I don’t use but now think I’ll keep in case my mood changes.

Oct 3, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #5,272 of 7,609
Oct 4, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #5,273 of 7,609
Just want to drop a picture (paired really well with Envy indeed!)

2023_1004_19404000.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #5,274 of 7,609
Oct 5, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #5,275 of 7,609
Wow that's amazing.

Thanks!

Finally I did a rolling pad:

Caldera Suede, sound like the standard leather pad, but with a little less air, more rounded notes, more forgiving character, but also less clear, less separation and soundstage become a bit smaller as well. For less than good recording quality, this can help tame the "ugliness" a bit, but I still prefer the standard pad.

Caldera Thin, the "BE2" of Caldera pad, from upper bass to lower treble seems more linear than standard pad. In expense of small soundstage, and I lose the "3D sphere" effect of Caldera Standard Pad. Vocal a bit more forward with Thin Pad as well. For me Standard Pad is more versatile for various genres, and has absolute win in term of soundstage/imaging.

Based on my preference, the Standard Pad still the winner.

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #5,276 of 7,609
Thanks!

Caldera Suede, sound like the standard leather pad, but with a little less air, more rounded notes, more forgiving character, but also less clear, less separation and soundstage become a bit smaller as well. For less than good recording quality, this can help tame the "ugliness" a bit, but I still prefer the standard pad.

Caldera Thin, the "BE2" of Caldera pad, from upper bass to lower treble seems more linear than standard pad. In expense of small soundstage, and I lose the "3D sphere" effect of Caldera Standard Pad. Vocal a bit more forward with Thin Pad as well. For me Standard Pad is more versatile for various genres, and has absolute win in term of soundstage/imaging.

I agree with everything you said. Have you tried the thick pads? To me only those are equally good (just different) or even better than the stock pads.

Oct 5, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #5,278 of 7,609
nvm

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #5,279 of 7,609
Thanks!

What’s interesting is all that may be true about the suede when you first switch from stock to suede but it starts to open up as you get used to the sound. I find it more seductive and addictive. I also find myself listening longer. Original didn’t think as dynamic but not sure what’s changed.

For whatever reason, over time, I can’t stick with the thick pads. Eventually something sounds off but takes a while to notice. Mids are just a touch too polite. In comparison to stock and especially suede.

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #5,280 of 7,609

Users who are viewing this thread

Back