ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Sep 1, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #5,071 of 7,107
I did thanks!! But beet result i have is from Hugo 2 more than Dave… for the bright clarity and clean bass impact

I see, then perhaps you bought the "wrong" amp for Caldera (as per your preference). Enleum produces even thicker and warmer sounding than Dave's output, however Enleum is still great for your Susvara though. The easiest way for solution is try Caldera Ultra Perforated Pad to help inject more air and clarity.

Caldera on my set up (standard pad) has superb balance character. Change to Ultra Perforated Pad results a bit too bright and thin character.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #5,072 of 7,107
I see, then perhaps you bought the "wrong" amp for Caldera (as per your preference). Enleum produces even thicker and warmer sounding than Dave's output, however Enleum is still great for your Susvara though. The easiest way for solution is try Caldera Ultra Perforated Pad to help inject more air and clarity.

Caldera on my set up (standard pad) has superb balance character. Change to Ultra Perforated Pad results a bit too bright and thin character.
thank you! what do you use for your setup?

Sep 1, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #5,073 of 7,107
That kind of explains why some people don’t like the ‘22 Utopia on the Naim HE, since it fixed the shortcomings of the original to give it more weight and taming the highs. Could also be why I don’t experience any issues with the treble with the Caldera. But the combo does make for a nice thick soup. All about the bass and mids. It’s a fun sound but not for everyone.

I got to hear a much brighter, detailed experience on the Caldera with the latest schitt amp. I really liked what I heard. Nice change from the Naim but not sure if I’d enjoy long listening sessions or not. I still have a Focal Arche dac/amp for a brighter sound but it’s lesser quality.
I honestly don’t get the Utopia because of the inability to render any sub-bass without it clackedy clacking loudly. Loved the Elex except for that so sold it. Heard the 2022 at canjam socal last year and it was even worse in that. I’d think they’d test it for problems before putting it out, so whichever company had one must have thought it was just fine. I know at one point from all the Elex complaints, Focal said that’s a feature, not a bug on all their models. Don’t even have to listen loudly. Using the Elex on movies was just pointless because it happened so much. 🤷🏽

Sep 1, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #5,074 of 7,107
Hi all, I would appreciate some input here…because I’m a little confused with my results. I have my Caldera and I adore it with my Hugo 2 and Sp3000. Just wow!! I recently bought a Dave, mscaler and Holo bliss and Enleum 23r amps. I love this setup and it amazes my Utopia, Susvara. Beyond the Hugo 2 and sp3000 with Utopia and Susvara of course. But with Caldera the presentation sounds soft and bass not as crisp. It’s warmer. Hugo 2 and sp3000 Caldera is flawless and so clean. Could anyone comment on this? Have you experienced similar? I won’t why the Hugo 2 sounds crisper with it… thank you so much!

Might be worth checking if the mantle mesh is installed as I believe it is by default on newer builds? I prefer mine without it on.

Sep 1, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #5,075 of 7,107
Might be worth checking if the mantle mesh is installed as I believe it is by default on newer builds? I prefer mine without it on.
Think it’s only installed by request. Normally shouldn’t even be included. That’s not the default sound.

Sep 2, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #5,077 of 7,107
Why would you think that? Mantle mesh is just a measure developed by Zach for decreasing relative harshness perceived by certain individuals. There is no reason for it to be installed by default unless the buyer requests.

Sep 2, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #5,078 of 7,107
Hi All. I just ordered a Caldera and plan to use it primarily with a Nautilus from ampsandsound. Any one here running Caldera on a Nautilus (or similar tube amp) with suggestions on pads?
I’m running mine on an Agartha 2021 and much prefer stock lamb

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #5,079 of 7,107
Hi all, I would appreciate some input here…because I’m a little confused with my results. I have my Caldera and I adore it with my Hugo 2 and Sp3000. Just wow!! I recently bought a Dave, mscaler and Holo bliss and Enleum 23r amps. I love this setup and it amazes my Utopia, Susvara. Beyond the Hugo 2 and sp3000 with Utopia and Susvara of course. But with Caldera the presentation sounds soft and bass not as crisp. It’s warmer. Hugo 2 and sp3000 Caldera is flawless and so clean. Could anyone comment on this? Have you experienced similar? I won’t why the Hugo 2 sounds crisper with it… thank you so much!
Two things:
The Caldera is known to be sensitive to different pairings of gear

Have you attempted to retune using the included pads or even other pads from either ZMF or party makers?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #5,081 of 7,107

Think it’s only installed by request. Normally shouldn’t even be included. That’s not the default sound.
Yes correct mantle mesh is never installed by default.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 3, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #5,082 of 7,107
I must say the Caldera definitely is now my fav headphone, knowing I have the Susvara and Utopia 2022 as well, and it deserved a top of the line cable

So I did alot of research on cables and in the end I contacted Arctic Cables, and they told me about a new cable that would be a perfect match to Caldera, which is called Sonoro which is something they have working on for some time and will be offered soon on their website as its a custom special edition release

The Sonoro is
- X3 20AWG clear pure occ litz copper
- X3 20AWG dark pure occ litz copper
- X2 18AWG clear pure occ litz silver
- cotton+kevlar centeral core per wire

I got it 3 days ago and without even finishing the burn in, it was an immediate wow factor once plugged to the Caldera

The stage became so holographic and full, rich and the details in the highs extended so naturally that simply I could not believe that cables can make such a difference as I own other cables from different companies. The Sonoro is a masterpiece in build quality and performance

Really amazing combo for someone looking to improve on the masterpiece Caldera, I sincerely now can say the Caldera has a way bigger soundstage than my Susvara and on top of that it has a full bodied midrange and extended bass that digs so deep and highs that are so smooth and extended so naturally

More to be shared once I finish the 100 hour burn in

20230902_141949.jpg
20230902_142302.jpg
20230902_142311.jpg
20230902_142655.jpg
20230902_142718.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #5,083 of 7,107
I must say the Caldera definitely is now my fav headphone, knowing I have the Susvara and Utopia 2022 as well, and it deserved a top of the line cable

So I did alot of research on cables and in the end I contacted Arctic Cables, and they told me about a new cable that would be a perfect match to Caldera, which is called Sonoro which is something they have working on for some time and will be offered soon on their website as its a custom special edition release

The Sonoro is

I got it 3 days ago and without even finishing the burn in, it was an immediate wow factor once plugged to the Caldera

The stage became so holographic and full, rich and the details in the highs extended so naturally that simply I could not believe that cables can make such a difference as I own other cables from different companies. The Sonoro is a masterpiece in build quality and performance

Really amazing combo for someone looking to improve on the masterpiece Caldera, I sincerely now can say the Caldera has a way bigger soundstage than my Susvara and on top of that it has a full bodied midrange and extended bass that digs so deep and highs that are so smooth and extended so naturally

20230902_141949.jpg20230902_142302.jpg20230902_142311.jpg20230902_142655.jpg20230902_142718.jpg

Lol that cable is insane.

Sep 3, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #5,084 of 7,107
Lol that cable is insane.

using holo audio bliss--- gustard r26 with FMC mod--- cowhide pads ---- Sonoro Arctic cable is a match made in heaven

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #5,085 of 7,107

The Sonoro is

20230902_141949.jpg20230902_142302.jpg20230902_142311.jpg20230902_142655.jpg20230902_142718.jpg

May I ask how much this cable was?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back