ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 15, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #3,361 of 7,522
Are there any Enleum AMP-23R owners here who can comment on how it pairs with the Caldera?
I've been wondering this too. I was interested in the Enleum for its dual functionality with speakers. I ended up going HA-300 mkii because I love tubes, but still very curious how that Enleum does with Caldera though.
This youtube channel recently received a caldera and bakoon amp. There’s a review of the caldera coning soon so that should cover some ground.

he’s initially been loving both

https://youtube.com/@DirectorsGarage

@reeltime

Feb 15, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #3,362 of 7,522
When I initially got the Caldera, I tested it across several amps, including the Bricasti M3h built-in amp, which I estimate is about 0.5 watts into 60 ohms. It drove the Caldera easily and well. The Caldera really isn't very hard to drive.

When I switched to the Auris Nirvana through, I got a richer tone and it was an upgrade. It's not a big change, but it's there. I probably wouldn't miss it if I didn't have the option at hand. But these headphones definitely scale with better amplification; and while head-room always makes some difference, I think quality (rather than just power) of the amp is what will come through.
That's what I'm trying to figure out. There's a minimum threshold above which the Caldera could be expected to perform well. My problem is that I'm partial to Rupert Neve amps and their biggest one tops out at 1w vs the one I own now which is 300mW. I've actually tried running a DCA Expanse from that RNHP but you can imagine what that was like. The Caldera sounds like a great first planar for me to go with my Focals and hearing from people running it off 1W rigs is pretty much my only chance of figuring out if the RNDAC will support it. Zac's post gave me a lot of hope.

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #3,363 of 7,522
Feb 15, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #3,364 of 7,522
Focal makes nice looking headphones, but not zmf nice looking.
Especially when Focal need to against the Flamin' Hot Caldera

2023_0215_18162400.jpg

I was worried the "red" colour of the wood would be just brown with a little hint of red and red fabric inside grill wouldn't really visible. Turns out better than I expected indeed. It is the "real" red colour, and the red fabric easily seen even with just a glance. Love the ruby chassis, and the red bullhide (is it bullhide?) strap is simply cherry on top.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #3,365 of 7,522

2023_0215_18162400.jpg

I was worried the "red" colour of the wood would be just brown with a little hint of red and red fabric inside grill wouldn't really visible. Turns out better than I expected indeed. It is the "real" red colour, and the red fabric easily seen even with just a glance. Love the ruby chassis, and the red bullhide (is it bullhide?) strap is simply cherry on top.
That’s awesome! The red tones are my favorites.

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #3,366 of 7,522
That's what I'm trying to figure out. There's a minimum threshold above which the Caldera could be expected to perform well. My problem is that I'm partial to Rupert Neve amps and their biggest one tops out at 1w vs the one I own now which is 300mW. I've actually tried running a DCA Expanse from that RNHP but you can imagine what that was like. The Caldera sounds like a great first planar for me to go with my Focals and hearing from people running it off 1W rigs is pretty much my only chance of figuring out if the RNDAC will support it. Zac's post gave me a lot of hope.

I should think you’d be fine power wise with a 1 watt amp. If you like the Rupert Neve amp, then it will contribution to your enjoyment. Rupert Neve amps (from the limited times I tested them) are tilt warm, and that may carry over. This ends up about synergy which is always trial and error, so the only way to find out is try…😊

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #3,367 of 7,522

2023_0215_18162400.jpg

Yeah as good as Zach does on photographing his work for the website I was a bit concerned that these would actually be more of an orange/red or if they are actually red. This photo of the Caldera Redheart is absolutely gorgeous. Thx for sharing.

Feb 15, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #3,368 of 7,522
I would definitely appreciate hearing from Caldera owners who're running them from 1W rigs. The Expanse has gained a reputation for being nearly as power hungry as the Susvara so it wakes sense that the Expanse wouldn't do well with the Atom HE. The Caldera, from what I understand is much easier to drive.

My Bakoon PRE-7610 mk3 rated 1W at 32 ohm. Drive the planar ZMF effortlessly, impactful, clean black background and definitely keep up with the speed of Caldera.

I also heard Caldera multiple times with Cayin HA-3A and actually they are really good pairing for the price (don't forget to switch impedance to medium).

Feb 15, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #3,369 of 7,522

2023_0215_18162400.jpg

Currently waiting for my redheart, this doesnt make it easier haha, the red is exactly how it should be. Absolutely gorgeous, whats the weight of your unit?

Feb 15, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #3,370 of 7,522
Yeah as good as Zach does on photographing his work for the website I was a bit concerned that these would actually be more of an orange/red or if they are actually red. This photo of the Caldera Redheart is absolutely gorgeous. Thx for sharing.
The photo above is straight out of my Fujifilm camera, no post process. At first I thought about made the colour with a little more artistic tone, but I afraid would confused people lol.

Currently waiting for my redheart, this doesnt make it easier haha, the red is exactly how it should be. Absolutely gorgeous, whats the weight of your unit?
Nah I haven't check it yet. My guess is around the weight of Caldera Coffee Oak (which is pretty light).

Feb 15, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #3,371 of 7,522
Well, my taste in music is so so all over the place

Yup, same here! :relaxed: I like what I like, and that's largely based on composition and performance, not genre.

Anyways - I usually use iTunes nowadays as I thi k the algorithm works best for fun music listening and was a suggestion from. @warrenpchi

I also have tidal, qobuz, Spotify etc and use them all.

Yay! 🥳 iTunes strikes a great balance for me as they satisfy my needs for basic lossless, and their selection is almost as big as Spotify. I still sub to TIDAL and Qobuz, but most of the time iTunes is just easiest for non-critical listening. Plus, I like AirPlay.

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #3,372 of 7,522
20230216_100350-01.jpeg

the Caldera out of a pre/power sounds fantastic. the low end extension is phenomenal, and at the same time, that crazy transparency and sweet top registry just draws you in, especially with female vocals. so crisp, without strain.

am running primaluna evo400 pre and nad m23 purifi, thought TQ black diamond speaker cables and a zynsonix box. I'd like to think the primaluna pre adds to the holographic imaging and placement/depth/layering. the Caldera does a wonderful job of delivering the final picture. the prion4 hp cable is the icing on the cake; it'll be permanently mated to my Caldera.

ZMF did an amazing job for their first planar. *one man slow clap, stand up clap, audience starts to clap, then mass standing ovation for several minutes*.

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #3,374 of 7,522
I don't see any love for the OG caldera at all :frowning2: well, here is atleast one photo of one lol
Similar lack of love on the VC forum for the OG Monkeypods but chin up.

Feb 15, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #3,375 of 7,522
Well, in real life, white oak Caldera remain a loveable product. Not everyone love the reddish colour on their headphone, I know some people here in my local community who prefer regular white oak compared to Kingwood (because of the weight) / Redheart (because of the colour). Not to mention white oak remain the best value from them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back