ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 4, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #3,181 of 6,990
Practice makes perfect... Tip: no need to be gentle, they all stretch.. when you do the "flipping", just manipulate them where you want them without fear :)
So, practice doesn’t help me. I always get about 3/4 of the way and notice a gap and then whole thing comes loose. And then as I get frustrated, I get worse. Luckily it’s easy for my wife. If I didn’t have help, then I’d have to just keep on trying. It bothers me more because it should be easy.

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #3,182 of 6,990
So, practice doesn’t help me. I always get about 3/4 of the way and notice a gap and then whole thing comes loose. And then as I get frustrated, I get worse. Luckily it’s easy for my wife. If I didn’t have help, then I’d have to just keep on trying. It bothers me more because it should be easy.
as long as someone at home can do it.. 😜😉

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #3,183 of 6,990
I made an edit to the other post but figure post follow up. After more listening, the thick pads just didn’t do it for me. Went back to try a few songs when I was trying different genres and got to Thin Lizzy - Boys are Back in Town. It just didn’t sound right, kind of dull and vocals recessed. I actually put the suede pads back on myself on first try. The song is back to sounding amazing. Think suede only sounded less warm and punchy in comparison to the thick but suede is greatly my preference. Didn’t want to keep listening with the thick.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #3,184 of 6,990
Feb 5, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #3,185 of 6,990
I'm looking for a "do-it-all" amp for my Caldera (with Chord Qutest as source) and VO. Reading through almost all the posts, it seems like an EL34/KT88 TC (A&S Mogwai or Cayin HA-6) might be a good fit given the endless tube-rolling permutations.

Has anyone compared the two? It looks like I can get slightly more variation with the HA-6 with SET and Ultralinear modes and the latter seems good for me as I'm not a fan of syrupy, old-school valve sound. Is the price difference worth it or I can just spend the money on more tubes. :ksc75smile:

On another note, I've gone from stock pads -> suede -> stock -> suede and now back to stock again :beyersmile:.

Feb 5, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #3,186 of 6,990
In terms of rock/metal I'm more on the technical side, Prog Rock/Metal, I guess it will be good there.
Classical music I like as well though it sounds like it's falling short here but can't really tell until I try.

My current main headphones are the Utopia I wear them every day and while very technical and great, lacking some soundstage obviously, a bit on the brighter side and I guess they are designed for tubes which I currently don't do. but I've been a main of Utopia from 2018 when I got them, so...

Regarding where I heard about the sub-bass roll off is I guess in comparison to Susvara, people are saying Susvara is more extended there there were a few comparisons regarding that even in the reviews / this thread it seems.

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #3,187 of 6,990
I'll be joining your ranks soon, I've got a plan for Dynamic + Planar + eStats as my headphones inventory I guess, instead of going Utopia + Susvara + X9K , since X9K is basically Susvara on steroids from what I've heard, it would be silly going with Susvara and X9K I guess.
So I'm guessing at this point It's at the very least 80% chance for Caldera after the 10th Feb for me.

Also, I've heard there's a sub-bass roll off as well, is that a thing?

And probably last thing for now, do they need tube amps like the Utopia or are they at home with Solid State as well?
Try the Caldera if you can. It has a lot of bass punch. Sub bass is pretty good for an open planar. People have said the Susvara edges ahead on detail, but not by a ton. Caldera is just fun and unique. I personally like it a lot more than the Susvara, but I definitely respect the Susvara.

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #3,188 of 6,990
I'm looking for a "do-it-all" amp for my Caldera (with Chord Qutest as source) and VO. Reading through almost all the posts, it seems like an EL34/KT88 TC (A&S Mogwai or Cayin HA-6) might be a good fit given the endless tube-rolling permutations.

Has anyone compared the two? It looks like I can get slightly more variation with the HA-6 with SET and Ultralinear modes and the latter seems good for me as I'm not a fan of syrupy, old-school valve sound. Is the price difference worth it or I can just spend the money on more tubes. :ksc75smile:

On another note, I've gone from stock pads -> suede -> stock -> suede and now back to stock again :beyersmile:.
I went with the Cayin HA-300mkii. I think the Cayin amps are nice a nice middle ground between getting that tube euphonic tone and cleanliness. Amps and Sound are great too. Can't go wrong with either. The HA-6 does give you more options with Triode and Ultralinear.

I'm stock pads atm. I missed some of the mid bass impact on the suede. Just ordered cowhide and thick to test...

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #3,189 of 6,990
In terms of rock/metal I'm more on the technical side, Prog Rock/Metal, I guess it will be good there.
Classical music I like as well though it sounds like it's falling short here but can't really tell until I try.

My current main headphones are the Utopia I wear them every day and while very technical and great, lacking some soundstage obviously, a bit on the brighter side and I guess they are designed for tubes which I currently don't do. but I've been a main of Utopia from 2018 when I got them, so...

Regarding where I heard about the sub-bass roll off is I guess in comparison to Susvara, people are saying Susvara is more extended there there were a few comparisons regarding that even in the reviews / this thread it seems.
I tried the new Utopia against the Caldera at CanJam. Utopia is more aggressive to me. Definitely brighter and very punchy. The technical capabilities are going to be pretty similar I think. The Caldera is richer and less fatiguing in my opinion. Not laid back though. Much more dynamic than a lot of planar choices.

The Susvara may dig deeper into the sub bass, but I think that the overall character of the Caldera is probably more bass forward. The Caldera bass feels natural and tastefully elevated. I've never owned the Susvara to A/B tho.

Ok, I'm done trying to sell Calderas for the night lol. Just something to do while staying up listening to mine. Good luck.

Feb 5, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #3,190 of 6,990
Try the Caldera if you can. It has a lot of bass punch. Sub bass is pretty good for an open planar. People have said the Susvara edges ahead on detail, but not by a ton. Caldera is just fun and unique. I personally like it a lot more than the Susvara, but I definitely respect the Susvara.
I primarily just used the Caldera and Susvara over the last few months. I was very happy whichever one was on my head at the time. They are very much commentary headphones in my opinion. Both have a unique feel and presentation to them.

Feb 5, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #3,191 of 6,990
I went with the Cayin HA-300mkii. I think the Cayin amps are nice a nice middle ground between getting that tube euphonic tone and cleanliness. Amps and Sound are great too. Can't go wrong with either. The HA-6 does give you more options with Triode and Ultralinear.

I'm stock pads atm. I missed some of the mid bass impact on the suede. Just ordered cowhide and thick to test...
I love my Cayin HA300 MKII though the Bliss is getting more love these days primarily because it's new and different.

Feb 5, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #3,192 of 6,990
I tried the new Utopia against the Caldera at CanJam. Utopia is more aggressive to me. Definitely brighter and very punchy. The technical capabilities are going to be pretty similar I think. The Caldera is richer and less fatiguing in my opinion. Not laid back though. Much more dynamic than a lot of planar choices.

The Susvara may dig deeper into the sub bass, but I think that the overall character of the Caldera is probably more bass forward. The Caldera bass feels natural and tastefully elevated. I've never owned the Susvara to A/B tho.

Ok, I'm done trying to sell Calderas for the night lol. Just something to do while staying up listening to mine. Good luck.
On the one hand... I want to stop buying ZMFs and try something else such as one of the other flagships from the usual cast of characters.

On the other hand... I'm pretty sure I would love the Caldera, will complement my beloved Atriums very well and have zero regrets picking it up - primarily based on feedback from those with similar tastes and because... they're ZMFs.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #3,193 of 6,990

I am in a similar situation right now waiting for Caldera Redheart.
HE-6B might be the do it all soluition with the mode switch and relativly affordable tubes options. Though there is an opinion that Caldera prefers solid state to tubes (which is certainly a matter of taste). Still to keep this option open I decided to get HA-3A which has less noise than 6A, is supposed to drive Caldera effortlessly and compliments my Verite Open very well and has much more affordable tube options. AND a iHA-6 which is supposed to be a great solid state option for Caldera. My situation is though, that I lack the space a bit for HA-6B since the whole setup is for my desktop use and I would prefer to run solid state for windows productivity with some background casual listening and some gaming and not torture expensive tubes for that.

Not sure if thats the right plan, still hesitating a bit if I shouldnt get HA-6B instead, but that was my reasoning so far.

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #3,194 of 6,990

I'm looking for more Dynamic (Read, more! punchy/slammy/etc..) headphones than Utopia, bigger soundstage / imaging, faster.

I wouldn't say Utopia is more aggressive, especially since I have the OG and it should have elevated treble compared to 2022 version.

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #3,195 of 6,990
I'm looking for more Dynamic (Read, more! punchy/slammy/etc..) headphones than Utopia, bigger soundstage / imaging, faster.

I wouldn't say Utopia is more aggressive, especially since I have the OG and it should have elevated treble compared to 2022 version.
In my experience there aren't many open back headphones, if any, that are more punchy/slammy than Focal headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back