ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Feb 3, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #3,151 of 7,076
The magnesium and Oak is much lighter than the Kingwood. Oak is 485-510g and Kingwood is 585 to 610.
How does that impact someone’s comfort level? Have people complained about the heavier models?

The oak/magnesium Caldera was on my head over 8 hrs a day for a few days in row over the Christmas break and no issues.
The worst part of Grados is I actually like the sound of some of them for rock and blues, but I refuse to own them again based entirely on the lack of comfort. Fortunately the K240 sextetts do what Grados do, but better and none of the comfort issues.
I never had an issue with RS1 and comfort. The wood is light enough. But the PS1 was that same pad with a very heavy metal cup. Don’t think any in current lineup with that pad are like that. This was the limited edition German model with only 250 made. Amazing sound but from memory, I’m enjoying the Caldera more. The PS1 closer to Utopia sound with very fast, tight impactful sound. Wasn’t relaxing but great energy.

Anyway, hopefully I’ll get my stock pads soon and see how that turns out. Glad to see the updated pad chart and looks like less changes from suede to stock than to thick pads.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #3,152 of 7,076
How does that impact someone’s comfort level? Have people complained about the heavier models?

The oak/magnesium Caldera was on my head over 8 hrs a day for a few days in row over the Christmas break and no issues.

I never had an issue with RS1 and comfort. The wood is light enough. But the PS1 was that same pad with a very heavy metal cup. Don’t think any in current lineup with that pad are like that. This was the limited edition German model with only 250 made. Amazing sound but from memory, I’m enjoying the Caldera more. The PS1 closer to Utopia sound with very fast, tight impactful sound. Wasn’t relaxing but great energy.

Anyway, hopefully I’ll get my stock pads soon and see how that turns out. Glad to see the updated pad chart and looks like less changes from suede to stock than to thick pads.
I don't have anything to add to this, but I was wondering if that's your MC in your avatar?

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #3,153 of 7,076
I don't have anything to add to this, but I was wondering if that's your MC in your avatar?
Haha. I had a few Maine Coon posts in here but felt was getting off topic but why not post another pic or two of Theo.

4D0695F0-1ED7-4D1E-87FE-3C19611BFF74.jpeg

BD0ED198-860B-425A-A73C-5578A6E2BEC9.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #3,154 of 7,076
Have people complained about the heavier models?

I have some of the heavier models (as measured on my kitchen scale):
  • Caldera Kingwood - 609 g
  • Atrium Macassar - 577 g
  • VO Blackwood - 624 g
  • VC Olive - 561 g
Yes, the heavier woods feel heavier than the lighter ones. I've had a light Aeolus and, well, it felt lighter. So if weight is important to you, prioritize wood/chassis selection and that can easily swing 50-150 g which is quite a bit.

However, I do find all of the above very comfortable and can (and do) wear them for many hours.

Weight distribution and clamp play a very big role. Clamp you can control for any ZMF headphone by bending the headband to your heart's content. Weight distribution has some nuances. From the above, the headphones that feel lightest and most comfortable to me are the VO Blackwood, which you will note are the heaviest on paper. Something about its design makes its weight distribution excellent and it seats super comfortably on my head, and it disappears. I can wear it all day easily. The Caldera, at similar weight, feels a bit heavier. Its weight distribution (magnetic drivers, pad shape) is just slightly different. But I still have them on for a few hours at a time, and perhaps after 2-3 hours I'll think about taking them off for a few min. Or not.

btw, I'm not sure if you asked me the same question a couple of years ago that my answer would the same. I think I've gotten some awesome muscle gain in the headphone gym. Lots of reps and many sets... :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #3,155 of 7,076
Haha. I had a few Maine Coon posts in here but felt was getting off topic but why not post another pic or two of Theo.

4D0695F0-1ED7-4D1E-87FE-3C19611BFF74.jpeg
BD0ED198-860B-425A-A73C-5578A6E2BEC9.jpeg
Nice! He looks like a real handful.

My girl Marchella just turned 6 months.

PXL_20230103_174549571_2.jpg
PXL_20230103_193601180.jpgPXL_20230128_160317134.jpg

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #3,156 of 7,076

I've had a lot of super light headphones and I honestly don't mind the weight of ZMFs. The Ether 2s and Empyrean are lightweight and comfy, but the ZMF weight distribution feels really nice. It feels like quality haha. The comfort of the pads really contribute to that too. I have a Monkeypod VC and the Oak Caldera. Both aluminum. I don't have any neck problems, but I work at a desk wearing headphones like 90% of my life atm.

Feb 3, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #3,157 of 7,076
Feb 4, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #3,158 of 7,076
Honestly between my last headphones, oak/magnesium Caldera, Expanse, Utopia, and L3000, I haven’t really noticed much difference in comfort level. Clamping and weight distribution all about the same feeling to me. The one weight issue was actually the cable on the Utopia. Quiet heavy and had some pull. So what did I do, get the even heavier and stiffer Danacable. While it improved the sound, I don’t miss it. Love how light and flexible the ZMF Verite cable is. Only reason asking about weight is was if ever considering another ZMF with exotic heavy wood.

And Theo really is a sweetie. Very dog like, as Maine Coons can be. Follows you around and loves to be held and given belly rubs.
7A74C163-43FA-46EE-A93C-A9221A61B2AF.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #3,159 of 7,076
Oh yes there's only one cowhide config and it's thin. With it being thicker AND cowhide it just "did too much" so to speak.

Mega perf should only be used on our open dynamic models as of now - I will test on Caldera soon as well and post a graph. Video incoming shortly!
Not to correct the very creator of the pads themselves, but you do mean Ultra perf (not "Mega"), right?

Just so that I can be sure I hit "buy" on the correct set to test with my Atriums.

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #3,160 of 7,076
Not to correct the very creator of the pads themselves, but you do mean Ultra perf (not "Mega"), right?

Just so that I can be sure I hit "buy" on the correct set to test with my Atriums.
Oh yes - that's the "official" name for them! Ultra-perf - which just pertains to the closer spacing of the perforations vs our other pads.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 4, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #3,161 of 7,076
Honestly between my last headphones, oak/magnesium Caldera, Expanse, Utopia, and L3000, I haven’t really noticed much difference in comfort level. Clamping and weight distribution all about the same feeling to me.

Putting the ZMF universe solid lambskin pads on my L3000 was a game changer in sound (crisp bass) and comfort. Coupled with a detachable cable mod, they now have lots of staying power in them..

So what did I do, get the even heavier and stiffer Danacable. While it improved the sound, I don’t miss it.

Funny that. I recently got a Lazuli OG cable for my ZMF cans. Mercifully the OG is about half the weight and thickness of the current Lazuli, but it still weighs on me (pun intended🤪). It did make a real impact on the VC, but I don’t know if I have the neck for it (yes, another pun🤷🤦‍♂️).

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #3,162 of 7,076
Funny that. I recently got a Lazuli OG cable for my ZMF cans. Mercifully the OG is about half the weight and thickness of the current Lazuli, but it still weighs on me (pun intended🤪). It did make a real impact on the VC, but I don’t know if I have the neck for it (yes, another pun🤷🤦‍♂️).
Almost spilled my coffee... :laughing:

Putting the ZMF universe solid lambskin pads on my L3000 was a game changer in sound (crisp bass) and comfort. Coupled with a detachable cable mod, they now have lots of staying power in them..
Looking forward to audition your L3000 (not sure my wallet would be too happy, though).

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #3,163 of 7,076
A little cable talk: I feel that Caldera is indeed a more transparent headphone compared to other ZMF headphones, because I can hear the differences between cables easier with this headphone.

Had a fun comparison today between Verite Silver Cable, Wywires Platinum, and Lavricable Grand Line. Well, on different headphones, the result may varies, depend on the synergies. However, for Caldera, my first choice would be Verite Silver.

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #3,164 of 7,076
A little cable talk: I feel that Caldera is indeed a more transparent headphone compared to other ZMF headphones, because I can hear the differences between cables easier with this headphone.

Had a fun comparison today between Verite Silver Cable, Wywires Platinum, and Lavricable Grand Line. Well, on different headphones, the result may varies, depend on the synergies. However, for Caldera, my first choice would be Verite Silver.
But....but....cable make no difference!

200.gif

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #3,165 of 7,076

You are absolutely spot on. Right after I received my caldera, I sent off my 2k.copper and verite silver cable swapped on the headphone end. I realized my caldera would benefit from a more resolving silver cable while my expanse can use some warmth of the 2k copper cable. Needless to say, I couldn't be happier with the decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back