ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 28, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #2,731 of 7,609
Dec 28, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #2,733 of 7,609
I am finding my new Caldera’s to be a little too high frequency for me with the stock leather pads. They are better with the cowhide pads, but not nearly as 3D. I have not had this problem with my Atriums or Verite closed. A similar thing happened to me with Meze Lirics a year ago. I assume the suede pads may be a suitable option for me? Has anyone else experienced this with their Caldera’s?
Or just my aging, sensitive ears?

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #2,734 of 7,609
I am finding my new Caldera’s to be a little too high frequency for me with the stock leather pads. They are better with the cowhide pads, but not nearly as 3D. I have not had this problem with my Atriums or Verite closed. A similar thing happened to me with Meze Lirics a year ago. I assume the suede pads may be a suitable option for me? Has anyone else experienced this with their Caldera’s?
I think the suede pads and possibly the thick pads sound right up your alley (I’d start with suede)

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #2,735 of 7,609
Or just my aging, sensitive ears
To my ears the suedes warm everything up and make it more immersive although with more highs.. It's a little less shouty with some more sparkle up top... IDK its my prefered pad for enjoyment but ide say the leather still is the technical winner on details/definition

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #2,736 of 7,609
Unfortunately don’t have the stock leather (will get them at some point). Out of suede, thick and cowhide, suede is the brightest through the high frequencies. This also depends on whether it’s high treble or low treble that is causing the issue. If it’s high treble, then suede can attenuate high treble, from the impressions posted here by @GoldenOne. If it’s lower treble, then thick pads will warm up that region the most without losing much of the staging and imaging of the stock (from my ears).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #2,737 of 7,609

Check for changes with pad geometry: Rotate your pads both forwards and backwards and see if that changes HRTF in any useful way. Rotating the pads 1/4 ~ 1/2" to the front has helps me with some of the dips for me, for example.

You said it gets better with cowhide (dotted green):
app_images%2Fresizable%2FCalderas-S_76e3095c_1669065727418.jpg

So that could be the 5kHz dip, or possibly even the 3.5kHz dip. Since the cowhide has almost +5dB in the 7.2kHz region, I'd say that's possibly not your sensitivity.

You also said you don't have a problem with the Atrium (red dotted). Are you using stock pads?
app_images%2Fresizable%2FCalderas-S_9dd0159a_1669066006335.jpg

Again, there's a -6dB dip around 4~5kHz that Atriums have that Calderas don't, so this could be telling.

For Caldera suede (dotted brown), both the 4.8 ~ 5.5kHz and 7.2kHz region are slightly more elevated. If you have sensitivities with either of those, the suede will likely not help you. I do feel like they somehow blunt the treble in ways that don't show up on FR measurements, so they could still be worthwhile trying.
app_images%2Fresizable%2FCalderas-S_929cdca5_1669065470814.jpg

I would use a tone generator to see what frequencies give your ear the most discomfort, and try lowering that region with an EQ of sorts as an experiment to see where the issue is. If you see a pad measurement that have the lowest values for that region, that one might be your best choice.

That's a bummer that the Caldera is giving you trouble, especially since you paid the extra customs and whatnot. Well, if you enjoy the rest of what Calderas have to offer, you could always just add EQ into your chain to avoid the treble peaks. It's my personal opinion that most headphones are more enjoyable when you personalize their sound to your ears using your own EQ to make it yours, so that would be my suggestion.

Dec 28, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #2,738 of 7,609
Check for changes with pad geometry: Rotate your pads both forwards and backwards and see if that changes HRTF in any useful way. Rotating the pads 1/4 ~ 1/2" to the front has helps me with some of the dips for me, for example.

You said it gets better with cowhide (dotted green):
app_images%2Fresizable%2FCalderas-S_76e3095c_1669065727418.jpg

So that could be the 5kHz dip, or possibly even the 3.5kHz dip. Since the cowhide has almost +5dB in the 7.2kHz region, I'd say that's possibly not your sensitivity.

You also said you don't have a problem with the Atrium (red dotted). Are you using stock pads?
app_images%2Fresizable%2FCalderas-S_9dd0159a_1669066006335.jpg

Again, there's a -6dB dip around 4~5kHz that Atriums have that Calderas don't, so this could be telling.

For Caldera suede (dotted brown), both the 4.8 ~ 5.5kHz and 7.2kHz region are slightly more elevated. If you have sensitivities with either of those, the suede will likely not help you. I do feel like they somehow blunt the treble in ways that don't show up on FR measurements, so they could still be worthwhile trying.
app_images%2Fresizable%2FCalderas-S_929cdca5_1669065470814.jpg

I would use a tone generator to see what frequencies give your ear the most discomfort, and try lowering that region with an EQ of sorts as an experiment to see where the issue is. If you see a pad measurement that have the lowest values for that region, that one might be your best choice.

That's a bummer that the Caldera is giving you trouble, especially since you paid the extra customs and whatnot. Well, if you enjoy the rest of what Calderas have to offer, you could always just add EQ into your chain to avoid the treble peaks. It's my personal opinion that most headphones are more enjoyable when you personalize their sound to your ears using your own EQ to make it yours, so that would be my suggestion.
Thanks Josh!
I will try a tone generator. I use stock pads on my VC and atrium.
It does suck having to pay the extra duties,/taxes.

Dec 28, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #2,739 of 7,609
So I decided to give the thick pads a try. They look barely thicker than the suede. Changing the pads was just impossible for me. I remember changing the pads on the L3000 once and that was enough. I had to get my wife to change the pads for me. But to be honest, I have trouble changing the bed and getting the corners to stay put.

Anyway, at first I could hardly tell much difference from the suede, which is a good thing. I wasn’t wanting to change the pads back anytime soon. I was worried they would sound muddy or too warm and that’s not what I’m hearing. They are now reminding more of the L3000, being a hint warmer than the suede and even more immersive. I listened to Burn the Witch by Radiohead again, and the sub bass is more like what I remember. This rumbling that dominates the first few seconds of the song. You have to listen for it little more closely with the suede pads.

So now I’m going back to songs I was listening prior to see if I prefer this pad over the suede or finding any issues. So far, everything works. Mids are still rich. Soundstage hasn’t really changed. The euphoric magic is still there. It’s really a subtle change. Think they might just be a hint less bright and that might be one reason I go back to suede since thick a hint less airy. And on my setup the suede brightness wasn’t an issue. So only problem is I can’t change them back myself 😒

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #2,740 of 7,609
So I decided to give the thick pads a try. They look barely thicker than the suede. Changing the pads was just impossible for me. I remember changing the pads on the L3000 once and that was enough. I had to get my wife to change the pads for me. But to be honest, I have trouble changing the bed and getting the corners to stay put.

Anyway, at first I could hardly tell much difference from the suede, which is a good thing. I wasn’t wanting to change the pads back anytime soon. I was worried they would sound muddy or too warm and that’s not what I’m hearing. They are now reminding more of the L3000, being a hint warmer than the suede and even more immersive. I listened to Burn the Witch by Radiohead again, and the sub bass is more like what I remember. This rumbling that dominates the first few seconds of the song. You have to listen for it little more closely with the suede pads.

So now I’m going back to songs I was listening prior to see if I prefer this pad over the suede or finding any issues. So far, everything works. Mids are still rich. Soundstage hasn’t really changed. The euphoric magic is still there. It’s really a subtle change. Think they might just be a hint less bright and that might be one reason I go back to suede since thick a hint less airy. And on my setup the suede brightness wasn’t an issue. So only problem is I can’t change them back myself 😒
I also had issues swapping pads when I was A/Bing the stock and suede and testing the Caldera pads on a VO. I had to get a friend to swap them for me and even he said it was much more difficult than the Verite.

Dec 28, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #2,741 of 7,609

I also had issues swapping pads when I was A/Bing the stock and suede and testing the Caldera pads on a VO. I had to get a friend to swap them for me and even he said it was much more difficult than the Verite.
Now yall know why I don't roll pads

eating-minding-my-business.gif

Dec 28, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #2,742 of 7,609

Totally agree with the pads impressions, thick pads just take the edge off and give the bass ever so slightly more oomph, a tiny bit closer to a sub woofer type of sound.

Pad rolling was a bit annoying to start with but I got used to it pretty quickly. Not sure if people are aware of Zach’s tutorial on YouTube. But it helps a lot.

To A/B pads quickly, you don’t have to actually attach the pads to the cups to do that. The clamping force is usually enough to keep the pads together.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #2,743 of 7,609
Not a ton to add but that the thick caldera and suede would be ones to try if you don't have them. Everyone's anatomy is different and if you're looking for a touch warmer sound the thick would be the ones to try before any other remedies. They also will retain the imaging you're after. Send me an email if you want to try a set and I'll make it happen: zach@zmfheadphones.com

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 28, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #2,744 of 7,609
Well, that was fun. I’m already back to the suede. I was actually finding some of that magic sauce was missing with the thick. And slight lack of air was not doing it for me. Got to PJ Harvey - Big Exit and the electric guitar wasn’t twangy enough. Now sounds great again with suede. I did try to change it back myself but still no luck. I think I’ll just stick with suede and only change when they need to be replaced. At least I now know.

Now about cables. I know others may change the sound and maybe even for the better but I’m more than happy with suede pad and OFC cable. I just need to order the longer length when once available.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #2,745 of 7,609
@zach915m hello Zach, is there already a plan/timeline for the next limited wood for the Caldera in January? Im waiting for a really soft wood for an euphonic planar experience as a last part of my collection 😎✌️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back