ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 4, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #2,191 of 7,609
Dec 4, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #2,192 of 7,609
For those of you with the leather strap, is anyone using a pilot or copilot pad? I was using the copilot pad with my previous Auteur, which had the standard suede strap. I would put the copilot pad over the existing strap for extra padding.

The current strap on my caldera is too big, and the copilot pad won't fit on it. Any thoughts? I do like a bit of extra padding and snugness around my head, although I'm not having any existing comfort issues. Here's the pic of the existing strap.
caldera.jpg
Man are those beautiful! The finish is superb. How does Zach do it? He has such a great eye for pairing wood type and finish.

Dec 4, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #2,193 of 7,609
I shouldn’t have posted the reference pic! Everyone is blinded by the beauty and don’t see the question! :)

Dec 4, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #2,194 of 7,609
I shouldn’t have posted the reference pic! Everyone is blinded by the beauty and don’t see the question! :)
Haha! It's definitely one of the best I've seen so far. More Calderas need to get in peoples' hands. The Crescent strap already does a fine job of cushioning and relieving pressure. If it's not an issue for you now, maybe hold off! Adding a co-pilot pad may not be worth the extra weight and bulk.

Dec 4, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #2,198 of 7,609
Quick question, sorry if it's been covered already, I understand that the sale for the caldera ends tomorrow, does that mean midnight tonight will be the final day to purchase it on sale or will the 5th be the final day?
Afaik ends tonight..

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #2,201 of 7,609
The layering, detail, speed and imaging are so addictive on the Caldera.

All different genres, all sound ridiculously great

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #2,202 of 7,609
Can't believe I'm saying this, but after about 10 days with the Caldera I think I prefer them over my Verite Closed. The VC still wins in terms of the weight and speed of notes. And while occasionally I would rather have a more intimate soundstage, the Calderas staging and instrument separation is hard to go away from. Also the detail, clarity, life like mids, perfect balance of musical and technical, overall tuning, and versatility.

The Caldera are my new daily drivers

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #2,203 of 7,609
and another cuz I'm on a Dwight Yoakam kick tonight

Dec 5, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #2,204 of 7,609
Dec 5, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #2,205 of 7,609
Audio-Gd R28 and Caldera are playing really nicely together tonight. As @Monsterzero stated, the Caldera has a tremendous amount of layering, speed and subtlety. It is an extremely cohesive sound. Organized, fast, with an amazing sense of the pocket. The Caldera instinctively finds the songs center and lets you float in and out. Left to right and front to back. Mostly front to back as the ADS has such an amazing sense of depth and scale. The concept of a parachute opening and you float to the ground. If the song takes you up and then drops into the pocket, you are right there with it anchored through the bass and into the midrange. If the song has a strong down beat, the Caldera lets you feel it all the way down to the sub bass and back up into my hips and spine. You can hear the guitar float above the melody, gritty and full of soul while the hammond organ fills in the space and both drummers sit right behind them in the back of my head. The ADS plays so nicely with a planar driver. It sounds like a hybrid to me. I hear all the good of both a dynamic and planar driver held together by pinpoint imaging and the shimmer of a typical downward sloping ZMF treble response. There is a peak in the treble, but it isn't annoying and gives the music air and top end resolution. All the detail is there, nothing is forced. My favorite part of the Atrium is the headphones sense of depth and how it allows the perfect amount of air and space around the instruments leading to the perfect amount of decay. The decay is faster with the Caldera, it resolves information with a sense of immediacy. It has no choice, it was built to be a race horse. Fast, graceful and nimble. The Atrium is more like a classic muscle car. Visceral and weighty with bucket seats that invites you to sit back and hold on while smoothly handling every turn. The Atrium sounds like home. The Caldera sounds like a live event, to put it down is to miss what comes next.

At first I struggled with the upper midrange and lower treble. Felt it was missing some energy and was a bit flat. But, as I have gotten to know the headphone it is far from flat. It just presents the presence region so honestly that whatever the recording gives you, the Caldera displays in kind. I find this to be extremely enticing. For those who like it just the way it is, sit back and enjoy. If you like to add a little bite and grit, the Caldera can do that too.

Whichever way you like your high end listening, this headphone is up to the task. I haven't had much time to listen as of late. I have been in a hospital caring for my mother. I feel like I am listening to my music all over again and it is good to be in this space. I am thankful and the Caldera is refilling me from the sensory deprivation that comes with an Acute Care and ICU wing of a hospital.

Lovin' it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back