ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Sep 18, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #271 of 7,534
Did the same giving the Caldera another listen at the end of the day and just confirmed those were my 2 favorites of the day, especially on the Feliks 300b amp.

Spent some time early swapping between Caldera and Atrium on it. Keep in mind this was on 2 hours of bad plane sleep.
If you were talking about the Feliks Audio Envy, then I disagree. The Caldera was a right mess to me on that, while the Atrium sounded as well as expected. The Caldera sounded much as your detail on the solid state Wells Milo that was next to it. Am I perpetuating the "planars on most tube amps sound wack" thing? Maybe, but again this is just my opinion on what I heard.

Sep 18, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #272 of 7,534
For me the only thing I was as impressed by was the Abyss 1266 TC on the dcs Lina stack. Did the same giving the Caldera another listen at the end of the day and just confirmed those were my 2 favorites of the day, especially on the Feliks 300b amp.

Spent some time early swapping between Caldera and Atrium on it. Keep in mind this was on 2 hours of bad plane sleep. The Caldera just has a level of clarity and resolution which is a step above the Atrium and I think justifies the price difference. Even more full sounding than the Atrium and the bass is the best I’ve heard on a ZMF. I think I prefer the staging on the Atrium which I can’t put my finger on, but it’s always something special and their various amps brought out the best of it. Maybe just that the Atrium is a bit HD800 and Arya v2 like in sounds coming from their own distinct spaces with a lot of space between them, which are also my favorite aspects of those 2. Didn’t listen to any poor recordings so can’t compare them on that, which is a big Atrium strength for me.

I’ll plan to spend some time with the Caldera vs VO tomorrow, since the VO has remained my favorite headphone.

There was a Macassar Ebony and Blackwood Caldera which were both just stunning! I can’t wait to own a Caldera.

Not to slight the Atrium at all but after going to it after several songs on the Caldera it had a wee bit of graininess, which I’ve never thought before and didn’t notice when I went back later starting with the Atrium. It really just spoke highly of the Caldera because I find the Atrium their smoothest headphone. Interesting how the brain quickly adapts and expects such resolution once it gets exposed to it.

It’s taken me time to really “get” and properly appreciate most of my ZMFs but the Caldera was an immediate wow for me and I imagine that would only improve with more brain burn in. It was also immediately and quite obviously a ZMF.

Of everything else I heard I think the LCD3 was the only other I’d consider buying aside from the 1266 which is just way too much for me to spend.
Get any time with the Expanse?

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #274 of 7,534
It was sooooo stunning. The Blackwood had the copper grills and brown hardware and strap. So good! I really hope Blackwood is an option when these drop!
Listening to those confirmed what I suspected that I think the new dampening system reduces the impact of wood differences. I've been able to tell differences in the 2 VCs and VOs I've had on hand at the same time in the past, but with the blackwood and oak Caldera I couldn't really tell much difference--though some of that was probably room loudness.

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #275 of 7,534
Get any time with the Expanse?
A little. I'd never heard any DCA before, but I actually preferred the Stealth over the expanse. Didn't really spend much time with either to be able to describe anything, but just going on quick first impressions of liking them or not.

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #276 of 7,534
I'll get a picture here tomorrow when I have the energy to write up my day at canjam. Great fun and great people. Right now I'm relaxing and listening.
So happy for you that you got it! To be one of under 10 people who have one at all, but to have the one that was definitely the most beautiful is a real score! I guess we have similar tastes in the looks of ZMFs too.

Sep 18, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #277 of 7,534
So happy for you that you got it! To be one of under 10 people who have one at all, but to have the one that was definitely the most beautiful is a real score! I guess we have similar tastes in the looks of ZMFs too.
Which one did he get?

And yea.. @DenverW … pictures 😁😁😁

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #278 of 7,534
For me the only thing I was as impressed by was the Abyss 1266 TC on the dcs Lina stack. Did the same giving the Caldera another listen at the end of the day and just confirmed those were my 2 favorites of the day, especially on the Feliks 300b amp.

Spent some time early swapping between Caldera and Atrium on it. Keep in mind this was on 2 hours of bad plane sleep. The Caldera just has a level of clarity and resolution which is a step above the Atrium and I think justifies the price difference. Even more full sounding than the Atrium and the bass is the best I’ve heard on a ZMF. I think I prefer the staging on the Atrium which I can’t put my finger on, but it’s always something special and their various amps brought out the best of it. Maybe just that the Atrium is a bit HD800 and Arya v2 like in sounds coming from their own distinct spaces with a lot of space between them, which are also my favorite aspects of those 2. Didn’t listen to any poor recordings so can’t compare them on that, which is a big Atrium strength for me.

I’ll plan to spend some time with the Caldera vs VO tomorrow, since the VO has remained my favorite headphone.

There was a Macassar Ebony and Blackwood Caldera which were both just stunning! I can’t wait to own a Caldera.

Not to slight the Atrium at all but after going to it after several songs on the Caldera it had a wee bit of graininess, which I’ve never thought before and didn’t notice when I went back later starting with the Atrium. It really just spoke highly of the Caldera because I find the Atrium their smoothest headphone. Interesting how the brain quickly adapts and expects such resolution once it gets exposed to it.

It’s taken me time to really “get” and properly appreciate most of my ZMFs but the Caldera was an immediate wow for me and I imagine that would only improve with more brain burn in. It was also immediately and quite obviously a ZMF.

Of everything else I heard I think the LCD3 was the only other I’d consider buying aside from the 1266 which is just way too much for me to spend.
think your review may have triggered a crash on 2nd hand Atrium prices

Sep 18, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #279 of 7,534
think your review may have triggered a crash on 2nd hand Atrium prices
Haha, well hopefully not. Mine isn't going anywhere. It's no less of a stunning achievement and even though I've had it 6 months now I still reach for it more than anything. One person mentioned they still preferred the mids on the Atrium. I'll have to pay attention again today but I think they're a bit more forward on the Atrium.

Sep 18, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #280 of 7,534
I couldn't really tell much difference--though some of that was probably room loudness.
This is why I will be waiting on sound impressions and reviews from owners. CanJam is nice from an initial impressions view on looks and sound but especially with an open back, kind of want to hear sound impressions from listeners not in a conference room setting.

Blackwood and Ebony Caldera, speaking my language :)

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #282 of 7,534
Hello....is it me you're looking for?

caldera.jpg

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #284 of 7,534
Are you interested in a trade for my first born?
Hmm...tempting, but I have a 6 year old and know what that's like. Have you thought about putting them to work making shoes? You'll have Caldera money quick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back