ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Oct 19, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #811 of 7,609
Great reading this. I have V281’s smaller sibling i.e. V280 and V850 dac. Currently rocking with the VO and Aeolus. Can’t wait to try the Caldera soon.
The V280 uses the same internal amplifiers as the V281, though with a different power supply and in a smaller case. The amps are sonic twins and just about the best SS sound I've heard.

I'm getting my head all turned around by a very fine sounding transformer-coupled tube amp, the Icon Audio HP8. Tube rolling that and my Woo WA3 have me focusing more exclusively on tube amps than at any time in this career. But every time I take the same headphone (my beloved silkwood VO) back to the V281, I get a reminder of how good really well done solid state can sound. And the V281 is hands down the best amp I've yet heard for planars. I would be shocked if that didn't hold true for the Caldera, as well.

"Can’t wait to try the Caldera soon." (you have so much company here!)

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #812 of 7,609
The V280 uses the same internal amplifiers as the V281, though with a different power supply and in a smaller case. The amps are sonic twins and just about the best SS sound I've heard.

I'm getting my head all turned around by a very fine sounding transformer-coupled tube amp, the Icon Audio HP8. Tube rolling that and my Woo WA3 have me focusing more exclusively on tube amps than at any time in this career. But every time I take the same headphone (my beloved silkwood VO) back to the V281, I get a reminder of how good really well done solid state can sound. And the V281 is hands down the best amp I've yet heard for planars. I would be shocked if that didn't hold true for the Caldera, as well.

"Can’t wait to try the Caldera soon." (you have so much company here!)
Hahaha there you go again Pharmaboy. Tempting me to walk the “dark side” of tube amps. But always great to read your audio journey.

So much tempting lately with Monsterzero’s new thread on amps (tubes) for ZMFs and Zach’s video introductions on Cayin tube amps like the HA-3A etc. I am telling myself to resist(for the moment) all these and conserve money for the Caldera !

Oct 19, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #813 of 7,609
I’m happy with my Ironwood VC and Ziricote VO. I’m so heavily invested amp wise for dynamic driver that Planar is a risky proposition for me. Will definitely be part of some loaner for it. May be I will swap VO with Atrium to have more flavor then VO and VC

Oct 19, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #814 of 7,609
@kumar402 I imagine your ECP DSHA-3F should do well with the Caldera. I know it was @LCMusicLover ’s favorite amp he tried with the Meze Elite, which is a relatively easy to drive planar. I’ve never used the amp, but it’s on my bucket list for sure.

I have used my Quicksilver, a transformer-coupled tube amp with relatively low output impedance, with all my ZMFs as well as my Meze Elite. It drives them all with ease. The only SS amps I’ve actually considered picking up are the two upcoming releases from Nitsch, the DSHA-3FN and Magni Piety. I predict both will drive dynamics and planars equally well.

If the Caldera is in my future, I would have to sell my Elite. That would be really hard for me to do at this point, but I’m considering it. I love ZMF as a company and always like to support them. It would also be great to have a lifetime warranty on planar drivers!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #815 of 7,609
Today, I had a "playdate" with an audiophile local buddy, and I took the loaner Caldera with me to test with his various amps.
Synergy with his tube amp (2A3 Moth amp, unobtanium) was not great. Nothing wrong, but a little too warm (at least to his taste).
Moving on to my DIY Korg NuHybrid - proved to be a MUCH better pairing to the Caldera!
Best pairing of the day was with 2 solid state amps... The Drop LCX and a prototype of Magni Piety. We both were amazed by the tiny $150 amp :scream:

I know... some people would roll their eyes when they hear we auditioned a $150 amp with $3K headphones...
Will other (high end) solid state amps make Caldera sound better? probably. But THIS pairing was quite nice!
More in the coming days......

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #816 of 7,609
Today, I had a "playdate" with an audiophile local buddy, and I took the loaner Caldera with me to test with his various amps.
Synergy with his tube amp (2A3 Moth amp, unobtanium) was not great. Nothing wrong, but a little too warm (at least to his taste).
Moving on to my DIY Korg NuHybrid - proved to be a MUCH better pairing to the Caldera!
Best pairing of the day was with 2 solid state amps... The Drop LCX and a prototype of Magni Piety. We both were amazed by the tiny $150 amp :scream:

I know... some people would roll their eyes when they hear we auditioned a $150 amp with $3K headphones...
Will other (high end) solid state amps make Caldera sound better? probably. But THIS pairing was quite nice!
:rolling_eyes:
:wink:

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #817 of 7,609

We all run HD6X0 series out of $$$ amp so nothing wrong in trying something similar but other way round. Few things in this hobby punch way above their price point.

Oct 20, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #818 of 7,609
If it sounds good, it sounds good.

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #820 of 7,609
I've spent such a large amount of time listening to dynamic driver headphones this year (Auteur Classic and Atrium in particular), I forgot how nuanced and precise a good planar can be. Playing this subtle and sparse ambient track by Autechre, the Caldera picks up on every detail and inflection, especially in the bass. Me likey.

https://song.link/i/281109021

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #821 of 7,609
I've spent such a large amount of time listening to dynamic driver headphones this year (Auteur Classic and Atrium in particular), I forgot how nuanced and precise a good planar can be. Playing this subtle and sparse ambient track by Autechre, the Caldera picks up on every detail and inflection, especially in the bass. Me likey.

"this subtle and spare ambient track" (indeed!)

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #822 of 7,609
Oct 22, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #823 of 7,609

Yep, that’s what I’ve said as well. Lots of subtle details in bass. The outlines of each instrument are very clear and bold bringing about a transparency that is intoxicating while still sounding very natural. About as far towards in the analytical direction as I would go. This is all with tube amps as I veer towards a warmer neutral sound as my happiest baseline.

Oct 22, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #824 of 7,609
I think the addition of the Caldera with my other DD Zmf’s makes my audiophile soul fulfilled!! It completes my collection with a perfect bow. It’s amazing how each zmf is in such a world of its own sonic wise. What a lovely business model! For me It will take Zmf something different or big to add to this from here.(don’t doubt it will happen!) I can’t imagine what it will be but I am fulfilled atm but at the same time think about what’s up their sleeve moving forward. I can’t imagine the next flavor zmf comes up with and how different it will be compared to the others, outside of closed versions of known models. If they put nothing else out though I would be happy with what I got and I didn’t feel this way until I got the Caldera.
I envision this will be a big seller among zmf owners. I can see a lot of people choosing the Caldera and one previous dynamic driver because any model with the calderas equals a perfect connecting sonic mold.

If I had only two to pick it would either be:

Aeolus and Caldera
or
Atrium and Caldera

I don’t know how to review headphones well but I do know when I hear something special and this headphone is definitely it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back