ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Sep 26, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #5,221 of 7,609
I've had my Caldera for a few months now. It really brings out the most of the vocals in many of the songs I've heard. It's true that the Caldera perceptively adds more percieved "meat" or "body" to the vocals, compared to the Susvara's airier vocal presentation. Drums and lead guitar sound especially great as well in many songs. I'd say the Caldera excels in the modern genres made after the 20th Century-- Oldies, Classic Rock, Jazz, Pop, Indie, 90's to modern Hip Hop. Depending on your taste, you may want to add a little boost to the sub-bass, and I've found that this headphone responds well to EQ.

If you prefer classical/orchestral music, I would recommend looking into Susvara/Expanse territory.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #5,222 of 7,609
I've had my Caldera for a few months now. It really brings out the most of the vocals in many of the songs I've heard. It's true that the Caldera perceptively adds more percieved "meat" or "body" to the vocals, compared to the Susvara's airier vocal presentation. Drums and lead guitar sound especially great as well in many songs. I'd say the Caldera excels in the modern genres made after the 20th Century-- Oldies, Classic Rock, Jazz, Pop, Indie, 90's to modern Hip Hop. Depending on your taste, you may want to add a little boost to the sub-bass, and I've found that this headphone responds well to EQ.

If you prefer classical/orchestral music, I would recommend looking into Susvara/Expanse territory.
Interesting take on the Expanse. The Susvara, I agree with, but the Expanse is missing a lot of air and has a literal upper bass hump. To my ears, the Caldera is the much more natural sounding of the two. I’d even argue that it runs circles around the Expanse. I could never recommend the Expanse for classical/orchestral.

I fail to see how this tuning could be conducive to nuance in a track.

Attachments

• IMG_4683.png
    IMG_4683.png
    470.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #5,223 of 7,609
Interesting take on the Expanse. The Susvara, I agree with, but the Expanse is missing a lot of air and has a literal upper bass hump. To my ears, the Caldera is the much more natural sounding of the two. I’d even argue that it runs circles around the Expanse. I could never recommend the Expanse for classical/orchestral.

I fail to see how this tuning could be conducive to nuance in a track.

I would have to actually agree with the OP here. For me, the Expanse and Susvara both feel a bit more well suited for classical. Both have a bit better, more natural overall tone and transparency, with really strong technicals. The Caldera is no slouch, but it's more of a "fun" headphone than it is one that stands out as a technical beast (as good as it is). I also think it's more complete than the Expanse, and over the Susvara definitely has the advantage with timbre as stated (although the gap closes significantly when the Susvara is optimimally driven). I enjoyed all genres with it, but definitely grabbed for the Expanse more for classical.

But different strokes for different folks. :)

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #5,224 of 7,609
I would have to actually agree with the OP here. For me, the Expanse and Susvara both feel a bit more well suited for classical. Both have a bit better, more natural overall tone and transparency, with really strong technicals. The Caldera is no slouch, but it's more of a "fun" headphone than it is one that stands out as a technical beast (as good as it is). I also think it's more complete than the Expanse, and over the Susvara definitely has the advantage with timbre as stated (although the gap closes significantly when the Susvara is optimimally driven). I enjoyed all genres with it, but definitely grabbed for the Expanse more for classical.

But different strokes for different folks. :)
Susvara is harder to listen to for hours for me. It's too detailed which can make it tiring. For certain time periods, I agree it's overall superior. Caldera is just more fun. Kind of like a super car vs a high end sports car on the road. Super car isn't as fun on the road for long periods.

Sep 26, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #5,225 of 7,609
Susvara is harder to listen to for hours for me. It's too detailed which can make it tiring. For certain time periods, I agree it's overall superior. Caldera is just more fun. Kind of like a super car vs a high end sports car on the road. Super car isn't as fun on the road for long periods.

I totally get this perspective. The Caldera is definitely a smooth and easy listen, with a huge toe tapping factor for sure.

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #5,227 of 7,609
I really enjoy classical on the Caldera. I need to try the Susvara on a speaker amp. Thusvara it has yet to win me over. Caldera feels more visceral to me.
If you really boost Susvara with the right amp and dac it's pure magic. It scales beautifully. I honestly think it's the perfect planar for detail hounds, closest competitor is Utopia.

Caldera is just a different sound altogether. More visceral, impactful in terms of bass pressure (but also clean!) , and fun. Utopia has great impact as well but has the same issue as Susvara for long listening sessions. Any of my ZMF headphones are the ones I grab when looking to enjoy music and chill. Others I grab for very specific genres. It's why I have so many ZMF sets. Also because they look so pretty 😅

Sep 26, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #5,228 of 7,609
If you really boost Susvara with the right amp and dac it's pure magic. It scales beautifully. I honestly think it's the perfect planar for detail hounds, closest competitor is Utopia.

Caldera is just a different sound altogether. More visceral, impactful in terms of bass pressure (but also clean!) , and fun. Utopia has great impact as well but has the same issue as Susvara for long listening sessions. Any of my ZMF headphones are the ones I grab when looking to enjoy music and chill. Others I grab for very specific genres. It's why I have so many ZMF sets. Also because they look so pretty 😅
wow, please show us a photo of your zmf collection or setup and let us admire it too!

Sep 27, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #5,229 of 7,609
wow, please show us a photo of your zmf collection or setup and let us admire it too!
I will soon, once I have it all setup nicely.

Sep 27, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #5,230 of 7,609

I had the Susvara and Caldera at the same time for a several months. It was such a fantastic complementary pairing of headphones. I'd listen to the Susvara for a few days and be in love. Then I'd switch to the Caldera and fall head over heels for it. That cycle would continue for weeks. Then I started switching them out according to different albums and/or genres. I'd have been happy listening to any music on either headphone, but it felt like between the two, you had the best of both worlds.

Still, value wise and craftmanship, the Caldera is king. :crown:

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #5,231 of 7,609
I will soon, once I have it all setup nicely.
Guess this will give us a beautiful panoramic view.
Hopefully the space in here is enough. ^^

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #5,232 of 7,609
I expect it will look a bit like ZMFs table at Canjam

Sep 27, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #5,234 of 7,609
I have 3 more sets on the way if that helps 😂

It's out of control at this point.

Edit: 4 actually. I forgot about the third party purchase. 🥴

Sep 27, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #5,235 of 7,609
I really enjoy classical on the Caldera. I need to try the Susvara on a speaker amp. Thusvara it has yet to win me over. Caldera feels more visceral to me.
I enjoy classical music on every headphone I own or once owned. Probably have more classical music files here, and listen to classical more via streaming radio, than all other music genres combined.

But...but...whenever I put the Caldera on my head, I am so drawn to funk, R&B, electronic music--anything with a strong bassline and rhythm pulse. It's not like I compared those genres to classical on the Caldera and logically concluded a preference for one or the other. It's more like I'm compelled to listen to anything with a beat on the Caldera (because it reliably rocks my world).

But that's the beauty of having multiple headphones. The silkwood Verite Open is the inverse of the Caldera: while it sounds wonderful on every musical genre, I'm compulsively drawn to hear classical music with it. I find the VO has no peer for classical music.

(Then there's the issue of multiple personalities. Let's not speak of that...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back