ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
May 19, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #4,261 of 7,733
While my Caldera sounds great, I can't wear it for more than 45 minutes. They feel great when I first put them on, but after a while the bumps on the crescent strap start drilling into my scalp, causing significant discomfort to the extent I am unable to use them the rest of the day.
I've already tried a regular (verite) headband but the suspension strap on my Caldera is too long and stretchy, not suspending anything and causing a pressure point on the top of my head. My Eikon did not have this problem and was comfortable enough after a little bending, but its suspension strap was shorter and/or less stretchy I think, because that actually lifted the headband away from my head, at least in the center.
I've tried bending the headband to no avail. Anyone have any experience in fixing this? Are there shorter, sturdier suspension straps or larger metal arcs available?
I would much rather have a full suspension headband on headphones this heavy.

I'm a bit sensitive with comfort, and I think it's an important factor to decide a purchase of a headphone. Personally Caldera is quite comfortable for 3-4 hours of use (I never listened more than that in a day). My Redheart Caldera has BBB strap installed.

May 19, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #4,262 of 7,733
Very weird to be honest. I found the new ZMF headband to be one of the most compfy designs for longer sessions, I think I even prefer it to meze empyrean headband design at this point. I literally forget that I am wearing a headphone

May 19, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #4,263 of 7,733
While my Caldera sounds great, I can't wear it for more than 45 minutes. They feel great when I first put them on, but after a while the bumps on the crescent strap start drilling into my scalp, causing significant discomfort to the extent I am unable to use them the rest of the day.
I've already tried a regular (verite) headband but the suspension strap on my Caldera is too long and stretchy, not suspending anything and causing a pressure point on the top of my head. My Eikon did not have this problem and was comfortable enough after a little bending, but its suspension strap was shorter and/or less stretchy I think, because that actually lifted the headband away from my head, at least in the center.
I've tried bending the headband to no avail. Anyone have any experience in fixing this? Are there shorter, sturdier suspension straps or larger metal arcs available?
I would much rather have a full suspension headband on headphones this heavy.
Some people prefer different things so we have good options, it sounds like you'd like the suede strap a lot. Or the BBB is more of a suspension style with more width. Definitely ask your dealer or yes we do ship direct with FedEx, DHL or USPS/national mail with accessories.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 20, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #4,265 of 7,733
@zach915m will there be a preview of the upcoming stabilized and resin release due in June?
Yes! I'm going to take individual photos and hopefully some video of each individual set. I sanded and finished about half of the sets before I left for Munich thhis last week and it will be a main focus next week when I get back. I believe June 9th will be the release date for this batch. I picked out some very exciting looking sets at the machine shop, I think it's going to be a good one, and we have some exciting new metal grille surprises too. 😍

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 21, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #4,266 of 7,733
I have been listening the Caldera more or less for 30h since I got on Thursday.

While the Atrium, that were my first TOTL, when I started to listen were like wow!!! the Caldera, my second TOTL, is not the same feeling, its being more like a headphones inviting you to listen, because are more complex than Atrium and have more things to show you. Lets say that are a headphones that you need to give them more time to shine, unlike the Atrium that are the soul of the party since the start.

I would say, I have heard this kind sound before, but is even more of my liking. My previous planars were from Audezee and Hifiman. Audezees were not for me. But I am remembering the line of Edition XS and Arya SE. The details, clarity, resolution... but much better and without drill my ears with the trebles and improving the bass that these two hifiman lack.

In dynamics I had HD58X and HD6XX, and the Atrium were like make a high jump in that line of Sennheiser I used before and I loved them.

Then, for me the Caldera has the perfect balance between these two worlds I had. The Atrium still being another world when using with the Euforia vs Caldera/Bliss. The Caldera is the formality compared with Atrium, that are the fun. The Atrium still have more soundstage, depth, and the voices and instruments are colored. The Caldera is a good balance overall without stand out in the highs that hurt me from planars (or at least from hifiman).

I would like to have the chance to listen other type of planar that could be of my tastes too, like Meze Elites or D8000 pro... but for now, what is clear is ZMF house sound goes with me.

May 21, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #4,267 of 7,733
today I bought the caldera after auditioning it for few days, so glad I bought it

this song sounds amazing on caldera

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #4,269 of 7,733
I love Within Temptation. As much as I love Evanescence, I think Within Temptation should’ve been bigger than them, but Bring Me to Life exploded them into the spotlight (fair play, the sign rocks). Sharon den Adel has the voice of an angel, and live, she cuts through the mix with such authority. That said, though I really really love this song, I always felt the production was kind of weird. The guitars especially tend to sound really congested with some headphones. That’s not a problem at all with the Verites or even the Atrium, but I think the Caldera really lets this song shine. The extra bit of instrument separation really helps the song reach its full potential.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #4,271 of 7,733
The YouTube version has some funky compression going on.
Hopefully, you're not listening to that version on your Caldera. :sweat_smile:
I listen to it through iTunes download and while it is a huge, noticeable step up, some headphones struggle with separating the instruments enough to overcome the feeling of congestion.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #4,272 of 7,733
Just got my Caldera lambskin thin pads today. And well, stock is still my favorite on my two setups. First, with the thin, my ears touch the inside of the headphones, so not as comfortable. And then as far as the sound, it’s quite close to stock pads but falls slightly short on impact and soundstage. Vocals feel slightly more forward as well. Think has slightly different tone. When I switch back to stock, everything sounds right.

I wasn’t expecting to like the thins more but had to make sure. I really liked the suede when I first got the Caldera and ordered the stock later. And was surprised I liked it better. I could live with the thins if I had to, it’s just the stock is better. The thick pads have never worked for me past a few songs. Vocals too distant and guitar doesn’t have enough bite on some songs.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #4,273 of 7,733
Yes! I'm going to take individual photos and hopefully some video of each individual set. I sanded and finished about half of the sets before I left for Munich thhis last week and it will be a main focus next week when I get back. I believe June 9th will be the release date for this batch. I picked out some very exciting looking sets at the machine shop, I think it's going to be a good one, and we have some exciting new metal grille surprises too. 😍

Metal Grill Surprises sounds like a Judas Priest album title.

May 24, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #4,274 of 7,733
Metal Grill Surprises sounds like a Judas Priest album title.
rob-halford-judas-priest.gif

May 26, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #4,275 of 7,733
Today's Playlist: Norah Jones - The Fall (Album).

For whatever reason, somehow I truly enjoy Caldera with ZMF 2K Copper in the last few days. Could be because tired of work (or something else that only God knows), but I just prefer fuller and darker sound lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back