ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 22, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #3,826 of 7,107
I ordered the V222 from Power Holdings on Thursday but my order still has not shipped!
Arthur is looking into it but the order must have had an error from the warehouse in the west coast......just my luck.

Theoretically speaking, the recent Violectric releases last year should be perfect for the ZMF house sound.
I ordered mine from Power Holdings as well since I'm not far from them in NJ however I don't think they have much control on the shipment/supply chain. Mine was delayed a couple weeks coming from Germany and rerouted to a different customs location than Arthur anticipated. Arthur was very good about keeping me informed of the status until it arrived.
I was eyeing the V222 as a solid state choice- I would love to hear your impressions with the Caldera (and any other ZMF's) when you receive and have some time with it!
I'm not a Caldera owner yet, will be soon, but I'm confident the V222 will be a good pairing as it works nicely with my ZMF dynamics. It tightens up the decay coming from a tube amp without losing some of the warmish sound.

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #3,827 of 7,107
I ordered the V222 from Power Holdings on Thursday but my order still has not shipped!
Arthur is looking into it but the order must have had an error from the warehouse in the west coast......just my luck.

Theoretically speaking, the recent Violectric releases last year should be perfect for the ZMF house sound.

I was eyeing the V222 as a solid state choice- I would love to hear your impressions with the Caldera (and any other ZMF's) when you receive and have some time with it!
The V222 puts out 2.2 watts into 50 ohms in balanced mode, and even though the Caldera is 60 ohms, the v222 will have plenty of power to drive the Caldera. Whether or not using a warm amp to drive a fairly warm headphone will have good synergy is another question entirely though.

Mar 22, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #3,828 of 7,107
I ordered mine from Power Holdings as well since I'm not far from them in NJ however I don't think they have much control on the shipment/supply chain. Mine was delayed a couple weeks coming from Germany and rerouted to a different customs location than Arthur anticipated. Arthur was very good about keeping me informed of the status until it arrived.

I'm not a Caldera owner yet, will be soon, but I'm confident the V222 will be a good pairing as it works nicely with my ZMF dynamics. It tightens up the decay coming from a tube amp without losing some of the warmish sound.

Oh, interesting.

Yes he told me yesterday that there is no longer a NJ warehouse and that I can expect it to be shipped from 3 other locations, California, Florida and Connecticut.
But you mentioned that it could possibly ship directly from Germany, that is starting to make some sense.....

Mar 22, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #3,829 of 7,107
Whether or not using a warm amp to drive a fairly warm headphone will have good synergy is another question entirely though.
I have the Gustard X26 Pro to balance out the tonality, as it houses dual ESS chipset. Hopefully that will work as I intended, but I really don't mind having a slightly warmer tonality anyways, I'm experimenting on whether it would alter the mids presence on the Caldera (not that it is bad rn but just for a test). My VO can also use some coloration which I think would really benefit from the soundstage boost that the V222 provides too.

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #3,830 of 7,107
Yeah feel you bud. Similar situation in my case, order took around 10 weeks with a vendor. Apparently many vendors promise fast turn around time since “the order is already placed long time ago” but usually those are bulk orders and ZMF got to finish all the headphones from the order before they ship out. This seem to result sometimes in much longer order times compared to ordering directly from ZMF.
Good news, should be shipping soon/already shipped, update from today

So I'm expecting next week.

Can't wait!

Mar 22, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #3,831 of 7,107

Can't wait!
Mine shipps today from the domestic dealer :)

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #3,832 of 7,107

Can't wait!
I just got the email w/ the FedEx Tracking #, still waiting for FedEx to give the delivery date. Based on past orders its usually 2-3 days so I'm thinking Sat is most likely.

EDIT: FedEx delivery date is Sat.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #3,834 of 7,107
My V222s finally shipped, it's coming from the west coast and will deliver on Monday. Can't wait to hear the stack combo with the Gustard and Caldera.
I also purchased a pair of WireWorld Eclipse 8 XLR interconnects for this stack.

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #3,835 of 7,107
What is a recommended cable to pair with the Caldera?
I'm usually running longer cables, I hope the 1.7/1.8 meters is long enough from my rack to my sitting position (PC), in theory should be enough, even checking with a ruler.
Interested in something longer though and more flexible than the OFC that I've heard is not very flexible...
Something cheap but good

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #3,836 of 7,107
I'm usually running longer cables, I hope the 1.7/1.8 meters is long enough from my rack to my sitting position (PC), in theory should be enough, even checking with a ruler.
Interested in something longer though and more flexible than the OFC that I've heard is not very flexible...
Something cheap but good

Not sure how cheap you need, but given "cheap and good" is a balancing act, I recommend Forza. They're basedin Poland and ship custom cables real fast (1-2 weeks). I also like long cables (usually 7-8'). The best comfort/price/performance sweet spot for them is the Claire Hybrid HPC cable (will be about $200-300 depending on length). The Noire line is one level up, not muchmore expensive, but thicker braiding and bit heavier. Also good but I like the Claire.

That said, if budget is flexible, ZMF's silver cable is fantastic for the Caldera. That's what I use for it. But you do pay a premium for the quality of build.

Sonically, it's super nuanced. But you get a wonderfully built cable for a wonderuflly built headphone.

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #3,837 of 7,107
Not sure how cheap you need, but given "cheap and good" is a balancing act, I recommend Forza. They're basedin Poland and ship custom cables real fast (1-2 weeks). I also like long cables (usually 7-8'). The best comfort/price/performance sweet spot for them is the Claire Hybrid HPC cable (will be about $200-300 depending on length). The Noire line is one level up, not muchmore expensive, but thicker braiding and bit heavier. Also good but I like the Claire.

That said, if budget is flexible, ZMF's silver cable is fantastic for the Caldera. That's what I use for it. But you do pay a premium for the quality of build.

Sonically, it's super nuanced. But you get a wonderfully built cable for a wonderuflly built headphone.
Something cheap but good
Yea, the OFC stock cable is an atrocity, at this price point I expect somthing of higher quality by ZMF, regardless if you can opt for an upgrade cable or not. Its not Hifiman-cable-badness, but almost there! I also ordered a Forza Audioworks cable for mine - but not yet shipped.

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #3,838 of 7,107
Yea, the OFC stock cable is an atrocity, at this price point I expect somthing of higher quality by ZMF, regardless if you can opt for an upgrade cable or not. Its not Hifiman-cable-badness, but almost there! I also ordered a Forza Audioworks cable for mine - but not yet shipped.

I think ZMF does it right, recognizing most headphone buyers at this tier (or frankly one or two lower) will choose their own cables. So they offer a good basic option, expecting many will choose premium option either from their line or other brands.

There are exceptions to quality stock cables out there, but they are super rare. And it would raise the cost of the headphone if it were included. Personally, I'd rather have the flexibiliyt of not having a cost of a high end cable baked into the headphone price, and opt in to any i'd like to get

but I appreciate the other perspective

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #3,839 of 7,107
One thing is clear with the Calderas, if you are into EDM or any of the subgenres like many iem users here at Headfi, the Caldera will shine the most out of the whole TOTL planar market.

I've listened to a few TOTL Planars including the Susvara and some of the Abyss offerings and the fantastic weighty bass and depth of the Calderas outshine them all for me. I've never really liked Planars until now. Huge props to Zach for infusing the Caldera with certain DD qualities.

Here are some EDM/Electronic fusion tracks that I enjoy with the Calderas,

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #3,840 of 7,107
Something cheap but good
IMO (and many have other favorites), but best "bang for the buck" cable choice is Audiophile Ninja. You can pick your length, pick your connectors, and have it turned around and on the way in about a week. Any color you want as long as it's black. Great cables, super comfortable, and you get a few "goodies" along with it. @NinjaJeremy builds some great stuff at a heck of a price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back