ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Mar 23, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #3,841 of 7,059
IMO (and many have other favorites), but best "bang for the buck" cable choice is Audiophile Ninja. You can pick your length, pick your connectors, and have it turned around and on the way in about a week. Any color you want as long as it's black. Great cables, super comfortable, and you get a few "goodies" along with it. @NinjaJeremy builds some great stuff at a heck of a price!
Good deal, just ordered an HP cable and a couple sets of RCA interconnects from them. Glad to support their work and their community service too :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #3,842 of 7,059
Mar 23, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #3,843 of 7,059
Funny?

I already have FAW (Forza Audio Works) for my Utopia, I was wondering if there's anything else with more variety for braiding/color and maybe sound quality? :p

just off top of my head..

Viking Weave
Double Helix
Lavricables
Nonre
Zynsonix
Moon Audio
WyWire
LQI

list is endless.. there are many custom cable makers... if you really want to go all the way on esthetics of braiding/color, try Skedra at Viking Weave, and prepare to open your wallet..

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #3,844 of 7,059
By the way I'm using a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable for my ZMFs, it's a good sturdy silver cable, I like the material they used to cover/shield the wires, it feel smooth to the touch while being sturdy.

I can't hear the difference between quality cables to be honest, but for premium headphones, why not premium cables as well for the aesthetics or placebo knowing that your accessories aren't holding the balanced signal quality back?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #3,845 of 7,059
A very old joke. Goes back to Henry Ford when he began the assembly line to make the Model T. Said you can have one in any color as long as it's black.

As for variety, others have mentioned there are many cable makers out there. The more you increase your budget, the more options you get to put on your Ford. If you want an excellent quality cable with "just the basics", Audiophile Ninja is my recommendation. This is just my opinion.

Mar 23, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #3,846 of 7,059
No Furutech though, but price is good it seems, doesn't look too bad on the cable quality.

Mar 23, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #3,847 of 7,059
No Furutech though, but price is good it seems, doesn't look too bad on the cable quality.
If you want to pay the extra for Furutech, they'll put them on for you. Are you looking for maybe something more high-end than "budget but quality"? Because the next step up is probably Norne, and those will run you at least double the price. Like I said before, options cost extra.

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #3,849 of 7,059
Speaking of Norne, I'm still waiting till my Skollvar v2 arrive (should be next week). Had tried with Caldera but on my friend's set up, so no idea how it would sound on mine. Still bet it sounds great though!
I absolutely love my Skollvar V2 with my Caldera. Its a nice mixture of warmth with the right amount to clarity and smoothness. I am sure you ll love yours just as much.

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #3,850 of 7,059
To be honest, this definitely looks nice, talking about Skollvar V2, though limited to 8 feet... and generally more expensive than what I would have liked

Mar 24, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #3,851 of 7,059
I have to say the WireWorld Eclipse 8 XLR interconnects look fantastic. Build quality is excellent and I like the threaded masking over the actual cable.

IMG20230324213609.jpg

IMG20230324213559.jpg

18ga. OCC-7N copper litz.
That's the thickest variety I've seen for copper cables.
Once I receive my V222, I will put these bad boys to the test with the Caldera.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #3,852 of 7,059
That's the thickest variety I've seen for copper cables.

Well, as far as thick copper...

I present my Lazuli AD. This is the original Lazuli with 600+ strands of copper. It is half as thick as the current Lazuli Refernce that replaced it, which has become just too thick and heavy for mere mortals. But this OG cable is surprisingly soft. And, kill me for saying that, but I actually heard a difference with this one the first time I used it with a ZMF headphone.

1679709132244.png

It's not my every day cable since it still has some girth to it. But, every now and then, it's time to exercise a little... :wink:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #3,853 of 7,059
Well, as far as thick copper...

I present my Lazuli AD. This is the original Lazuli with 600+ strands of copper. It is half as thick as the current Lazuli Refernce that replaced it, which has become just too thick and heavy for mere mortals. But this OG cable is surprisingly soft. And, kill me for saying that, but I actually heard a difference with this one the first time I used it with a ZMF headphone.

It's not my every day cable since it still has some girth to it. Butm every now and then, it's time to exercise a little... :wink:

giphy.gif

Wow what a beast of a cable, since my desktop rig is all black I figured the copper would match the set more better as opposed to silver but if it somehow benefits sound too then it's a no brainer.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #3,854 of 7,059
I'm trying out a silver cable at the moment, and as was mentioned a few pages back, silver is a great match with the caldera.

Mar 25, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #3,855 of 7,059
Just got in... I don't have a food scale handy but I'm very surprised at how light they are.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back