ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Dec 12, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #2,401 of 7,082
Definitely. I paid $4000 for a brand new Susvara from a dealer so the street prices for totl headphones are closer than people think. I made my comment because I've noticed some people will put a headphone into a higher tier solely based on its price and not how it sounds.
Nobody wants to admit that they paid more for something that’s not as good as a lower priced option. Human nature!

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #2,402 of 7,082
Nobody wants to admit that they paid more for something that’s not as good as a lower priced option. Human nature!
The antidote to that is the view that any headphone above certain level (imo ~2k) is all about personal preference. In this segment, the idea that a pair of headphones is “better” than others is so arbitrary and ill-defined. To me, the best mentality is: if you’re enjoying the headphones, it was the best purchase you can make and you should be happy no matter what others say.

Dec 12, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #2,403 of 7,082
Well Justin steered me to the Ovation over the Mogwai for the Caldera, so I guess I got played. And the Bigger Ben is thousands of dollars more, so don't assume I could have afforded that.

That said, I've listened to the Calderas on my Ovation and GS-X mini, which has tons of power, and I haven't noticed any difference in terms of slam. These are the slammiest planars I've yet heard (I've owned almost all TOTL planars other than the 1266), but I don't think any planar can really match what dynamics can do for that particular feature. Maybe the 1266, but I'm not wearing those things.

You definitely prefer dynamic headphones, and that's a good thing - you know what works for you. I can't recommend the Atrium enough, it is awesome (and no, I'm not trading...:wink: but the Atrium comes up at some reasonable frequency on the classifieds here so keep your eyes open)

Dec 12, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #2,404 of 7,082
nah theres no way

there is

i havent really heard

try and be informed

One thing I've learned about pad swapping with my ZMF's is you need to try the swaps for yourself and kinda ignore other peoples' reviews.

completely agree. HRTF looms large here..

I rotated them roughly 1/4" towards the front, and I get a better seal,

I also found proper seal to be invaluable with ZMF to get intended tuning

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #2,408 of 7,082
That’s good to hear then, don’t really think of zmf as a company that makes totl headphones I guess they do now lol
It's nice that you're able to get updated and catch up with what we've known for quite a while. Many people would listen, demo, and research the headphones before forming an opinion, you were bold to take a different path.

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #2,411 of 7,082
After few weeks settled, I felt that more and more, Atrium lover might found Caldera was "too different" for their taste. While Verite lover, found Caldera simply sublime. (Based on I read some impression here and various opinions I got from my local community).

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #2,413 of 7,082
In a good way, or bad way?

That's really depend on the user. For people who like to have 2 different headphones, this become a good thing. For a person who only one ultimate headphone, not so good news. Personally I pick Verite over Atrium, so yeah, I easily can enjoy Caldera more than Atrium.

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #2,414 of 7,082
Atrium lover might found Caldera was "too different" for their taste
I'm not sure I would classify myself as an "Atrium lover", although I really do like my Atrium. I do find the Caldera different than the Atrium for sure – I think the Caldera is generally a better all-rounder. However, there's been plenty of times I've run into an album that just doesn't sound like it's being played to its full potential, and I hit the switch and reach for the Atrium. Especially some spacious acoustic/orchestral stuff. The Atrium just has some special staging there that just give it "that feeling" of live music for me.

Caldera definitely renders everything clearly. I was telling my wife just a few days ago, while listening to a well-recorded piano album, that the Caldera made it sound weird – like the staging felt like the grand was playing 1-2 open doors away (as if the concert hall had the doors open and you're in the lobby), yet the acoustics/resolution/clarity was like I was within feet of the piano. The Atrium renders it far more naturally in both staging and detail – like I'm just in the 5-7th row. Having spent a good amount of my life in practice rooms, stages, and concert halls, the Atrium gives me a lot less cognitive/sensory dissonance, for sure. It just sounds a lot closer to life to me.

Pop, rock, electronica, on the other hand, does much better on Caldera for me. I've never mentally associated those with real-life experiences, so the clarity and detail the Caldera brings is simply superior. So Atrium/Caldera being different is good – different headphone for different genres for me, I guess. Being able to quickly switch headphones is a blessing – but it does take a toll on physical desk space, because they both require somewhat different chains to sound their best. My desk is an utter mess, and my wife shakes her head whenever she looks at it haha

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #2,415 of 7,082
Another headphone to audition before I buy “my flagship Planar”!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back