ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Mar 11, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #1,786 of 2,357
The natural Bokeh is a really nice variant! Yeah, this headphone feels like ZMF's answer to the Fostex TH-X00 or Meze 99 Classic. It's like a refinement/upgrade/response to those fun, entry-level, closed headphones.
Thanks, and I forgot to mention I also have the closed Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm) version which is the same impedance as the Bokeh. The Beyers are designed for studio monitoring (super long attached cable) and have pretty good bass too but the treble is much too bright for me and can be fatiguing. The Bokeh is smooth like butter, been enjoying music on them all morning.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #1,787 of 2,357
Aww man, hope the hyperacusis clears out soon. My old ears have a bit of tinnitus due to occupational loud noise exposure and I have to adjust to the slight ear-ringing.

Picked these out this past Saturday at the NYC CanJam and really enjoying them. The natural Limba is gorgeous and I like the matte finish. Got a sweet B-stock discount on them since they have a slight fill in the tree knot.

20240310_032103.jpg 20240309_214737.jpg
After a couple days I'd say it retains a lot of dynamic ZMF magic I like with extra bass. I'm kind of a bass/heavy-beat listener anyway so this works for me.
I can see where some savings are done in the build quality and comfort but overall still a nice solid HP. I'd put it as more refined in sound and quality than my Fostex TR-X00 closed back which also has a lot of bass.
WOW that's a nice set. I wish these were offered from the beginning :cry:

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #1,788 of 2,357
Aww man, hope the hyperacusis clears out soon. My old ears have a bit of tinnitus due to occupational loud noise exposure and I have to adjust to the slight ear-ringing.

Picked these out this past Saturday at the NYC CanJam and really enjoying them. The natural Limba is gorgeous and I like the matte finish. Got a sweet B-stock discount on them since they have a slight fill in the tree knot.

20240310_032103.jpg 20240309_214737.jpg
After a couple days I'd say it retains a lot of dynamic ZMF magic I like with extra bass. I'm kind of a bass/heavy-beat listener anyway so this works for me.
I can see where some savings are done in the build quality and comfort but overall still a nice solid HP. I'd put it as more refined in sound and quality than my Fostex TR-X00 closed back which also has a lot of bass.
Wow-love them!!!!!!! And you got a bargain!!!!
I asked for the roughest looking pair they had (with fault lines etc). Love the contrast to the smooth wood look. Enjoy!!

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #1,790 of 2,357
@DarthVader92 Congrats! Acquired mine on Saturday at CanJam and been enjoying them just about all day today. Nice area around Seguin. Fond memories tubing on the Guadalupe River. Is it still OK to float a cooler with you? My wife is from East TX and we lived in San Antonio for a couple years while I was active duty in the military.

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #1,791 of 2,357
Thanks, I did some pad swapping already as I was not a fan of the stock set up. On the hybrid pads and solid mesh and am enjoying this combo the most.

Love the Seguin area, it's very nice indeed.

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #1,792 of 2,357
First, I hope the hyperacusis clears up soon. That is grim. Thanks very much for the impressions based on your recollection which are helpful and confirm my own general sense of things having demoed the STs in store and having ACs at work. Tricky decision ahead... The STs have massive versatility and better portability on their side... but it sounds as if the Bokahs would be a superb second high end pair and the new finish is fantastic. The ACs so far have spoiled other headphones for me.
Appreciate the sentiments.

On my impressions post (Bokeh Impressions) I touched on the AC compared to the Bokeh a little. I was working on a full review, but obviously that's been put on hold at the moment.

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #1,793 of 2,357
Appreciate the sentiments.

On my impressions post (Bokeh Impressions) I touched on the AC compared to the Bokeh a little. I was working on a full review, but obviously that's been put on hold at the moment.
Thank you for linking back to your review and wishing you a recovery ASAP.

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #1,794 of 2,357
For some reason I've been in the mood to try the Bokeh on older gear that has been in the storage bin.

Plugged in the Schiit Magni today, and only intended to listen for a few minutes in the morning but a few hours later I was still listening with it.

I forgot what a little beast this is, 2.5w into 32ohms for $100 (when I purchased it)

I had to EQ down the bass a little but the midrange clarity on this piece of schiit is just flat out amazing for something so inexpensive. I had it hooked into the Spring 3, and when I looked at the little Magni sitting on top of the Spring 3, I had to laugh just a bit.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #1,795 of 2,357
Got my bokeh last week. Couldn't feel happier than this. Still in burn-in period (90 hours of burn-in recommendation from Zach)

Running through my Fiio Q15 (balanced 4.4 output) sound phenomenal. Very analog, thick, and smooth.

Thing that gave me shock, it can be driven using my iPhone and cheap ugreen dongle, and still sounds good.

Anyway, any midrange desktop amp recommendation for Bokeh? already tried Homage, don't like the sound.
Might be buy an Aune S17 pro.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #1,797 of 2,357
Got my bokeh last week. Couldn't feel happier than this. Still in burn-in period (90 hours of burn-in recommendation from Zach)

Running through my Fiio Q15 (balanced 4.4 output) sound phenomenal. Very analog, thick, and smooth.

Thing that gave me shock, it can be driven using my iPhone and cheap ugreen dongle, and still sounds good.

Anyway, any midrange desktop amp recommendation for Bokeh? already tried Homage, don't like the sound.
Might be buy an Aune S17 pro.
How is the Q15? I'm tossing up between it, Ifi Gryphon amd XDuoo XD05 Pro (or Bal2 as is cheaper).

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #1,798 of 2,357
Hey just curious, how much was the Bokeh running if you got it at the show?
$300 discount which is in line with their early release or seasonal sales events. Plus no tax/shipping at CanJam.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #1,800 of 2,357
Really loving the Bokeh for jazz. After just a few days of listening, I've found that it softens and smooths out the highs of cymbals and muted trumpet in places where some other headphones that I've enjoyed (such as Radiance) have been more piercing and fatiguing. It is just a pleasant presentation of music, which is exactly what I was hoping for. Well done ZMF!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back