ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 6, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #316 of 2,348
So that I understand there are three pads for it currently? The protein, hybrid and suede?
Or are the suede pads the Caldera pads?
When I order them I want to get all the available pads for it as well.
Which of them are included?
Also will the mesh be included?

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #318 of 2,348
I listened a little out of the Mojo 2. I thought it was a solid pairing from what I heard. I'll listen to that combo more tomorrow.

I don't really roll on my Stratus much. Usually keep Ken Rads in, which push it to neutral warm. I've been meaning to pick some RCAs up. What rectifier do you use?
I mostly use a nos rca 5u4g for rectifier

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #320 of 2,348
So, I just changed pads from the stock Protein to the Hybrids. It was definitely a bit harder to change the pads on the Bokeh than the other headphones in the lineup due to the oval cup shape, but it's totally doable with the same technique as before. I also noticed I had the Bokeh Mesh installed, so I changed that out and put the Titan Mesh on.

I am listening as I type this, and the sound has changed up quite a bit. The bass is less pronounced, and is tighter and more controlled and the upper mids are more pronounced and the highs are still extended yet smooth. The clarity is better in the mids, and this is a more linear sound top to bottom. The mids came forward and are more euphonic, and the vocals are even more seductive than they were with the Protein pads. I am liking what I am hearing and now they sound even closer to the "big boys" in performance.

Another thing worth mention, is the staging became more cohesive, expansive and holographic with the Hybrids.

The Protein Pads are fun, but I bet the more linear sound of the Hybrids will probably be preferred the most.

I have mentioned it before, and it's worth repeating, the slightly smaller form factor fits extremely well on my small head and the Bokeh are super comfortable. :grin:

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #321 of 2,348
Damn! The Hybrid Pads really are where it's at! I just put on some Electronica and the sound is incredible. :grin:

The imaging is tighter and more defined and the sound really did open up. I am hearing a somewhat "baby" version of the AC now, and this headphone is flat out incredible.

I think my beloved Atticus are going to be getting much less play time, now that the Bokeh is around. The Bokeh takes fun to another level, and is very capable and scales extremely well.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #322 of 2,348
This track sounds insane with the Bokeh (Hybrid Pads and Titan Mesh). Tight, punchy and textured with speed, detail and impact for days. :astonished:

aOHcVDN.png

The Bokeh is quickly becoming my favorite headphone. . .

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #323 of 2,348
The Bokeh with Hybrid Pads and Titan Mesh, are genre slayers and sound incredible with all kinds of music!

Dang, I have to go to work and I haven't even started getting ready. . .The Bokeh can definitely make time slip away. :grin:

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #325 of 2,348
The Bokeh with Hybrid Pads and Titan Mesh, are genre slayers and sound incredible with all kinds of music!

Dang, I have to go to work and I haven't even started getting ready. . .The Bokeh can definitely make time slip away. :grin:
What’s your impression on the midbass/subbass ratio? I’m somewhat midbass averse and a subbass enthusiast. Do you think it would be for someone like me? If not, some other ZMF? I’m really itching to get one of their products, but I wonder which is the right one for me.

Dec 6, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #326 of 2,348
Damn! The Hybrid Pads really are where it's at! I just put on some Electronica and the sound is incredible. :grin:

The imaging is tighter and more defined and the sound really did open up. I am hearing a somewhat "baby" version of the AC now, and this headphone is flat out incredible.

I think my beloved Atticus are going to be getting much less play time, now that the Bokeh is around. The Bokeh takes fun to another level, and is very capable and scales extremely well.
The hybrid pads really change the profile, don't they? I only spent a few hours with them before going back to the protein, but I noticed it immediately. My ears were thinking the hybrid pads were close to the Auteur with Eikon pads. Very balanced and just north of neutral sounding. Nothing really stood out above the rest from subbass to treble. I won't lie though, the protein pads engagement level still wins me over. They're so dynamic and fun to listen to with them on, I felt the hybrids to be a bit boring in comparison.

I love how Zach has built in end user tuning into his system. From woods to pads to meshes, you can really tailor the sound to your liking. And the Bokeh so far seems just as responsive to tuning as the other ZMFs in the lineup. It's also fairly responsive to output impedance changes I'm finding. I've been doing most of my listening on my Tuba at work (5 and 35ohm outputs), and Stratus (not sure on low z, 120ohm high z), and it's a different sounding headphone on each amp and output impedance jack. Can't wait to bring my WA3 to work again to run the Bokeh on it. Might be a bit too low of a dampening factor, but we'll see :)

Dec 6, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #327 of 2,348
What’s your impression on the midbass/subbass ratio? I’m somewhat midbass averse and a subbass enthusiast. Do you think it would be for someone like me? If not, some other ZMF? I’m really itching to get one of their products, but I wonder which is the right one for me.
The Midbass is a bit more prominent than the Subbass on the Bokeh, and if you are a subbass enthusiast the AC are the one's to go for.

Dec 6, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #328 of 2,348
I don't want to go too deep into comparisons as my Bokeh (B) isn't broken in yet. But after a day yesterday comparing the B with protein pads and AC with Auteur suede pads I'll give my general impressions.

Right off the bat I could tell they have a similar macro tuning. Big bass, expressive mids, and smooth highs without recession. Very fun and engaging. The B sounded very much like a slightly less refined AC overall. There was a slight grain to the highs on the B that were absent on the AC, but that could resolve itself with break in.

Bass overall was more one note vs the AC. Where the AC could easily present subtle volume gradients down low, the B would not be quite as clear, and push more of a wall of bass. Mind you this is only in direct comparison to the AC, not a trait I'd say in general. The B still has excellent and expressive bass. But the AC is another step up technically.

The B has a more intimate stage vs the AC. At first I thought maybe the AC's vocal range was slightly recessed in comparison, but I soon realized no, its just the larger stage in effect. The AC's stage is wider, taller, and more dimensional. The B's stage seems very spherical to me, with good overall size, but not large by any means. It's more on par with something like an HD650 IMO. More than adequate, but not as expansive as the higher end brethren.

This more intimate stage gives vocals more presence. I really enjoy vocals on the B, they're right where I want them to be. Close but not in my head, with (for me) perfect presence within the mix. I don't have to try to pull them forward by listening analytically, and I'm not being fatigued by them either. Singer/songwriter and Folk genres really stood out to me with the B, even more so than the AC. The AC pushes the stage back and outward, so the vocalist is more distant sounding. The overall blend of vocals to instruments is similar, just farther away if that makes sense.

I love the B's upper mids/treble for rock music. The B is a rock/metal monster for sure. I was so enthralled with Iron Maiden, Sepultura, Metallica, Slayer, Exodus, Overkill, Dust Bolt, Carach Angren, etc. The guitars were right where I want them, just like the vocals. Guitar solos were front and center and explosive sounding, with good bite on the strings, and proper distortion. Some headphones like the HD800 sound really odd with distortion tuned guitars, but the B nails it.

On more audiophile genres like blues/jazz/classical, the B wasn't quite as accomplished overall as the AC, but given the price, who cares. The AC's added resolution, staging, and overall more refined nature pair better with exceptionally well recorded pieces.

All in all after a day comparing those are the things that stood out to me.

Today I'm pitting the B against one of my all time favorites, the almighty Atticus. Can the new kid on the block take down the grizzled vet? We shall see!

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #329 of 2,348
Dec 6, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #330 of 2,348
My Cherry set weighs in at 528g
This surprised me a bit as I'd thought I'd seen around the 425-450g stock weight floating around, but then I checked the janka scale between cherry and black limba and I did not realize how lightweight black limba was. Apparently measures 680lbf where cherry is around 950lbf.

My 2490lbf caldera w/ aluminum chassis feeling like an absolute unit in comparison.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back