ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 6, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #346 of 2,390
Don't be dissing my Apple Beats like that!

I like Beats.

LTc4ODguanBlZw.jpeg

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #348 of 2,390
Love them! When I was young almost all my music was metal, but Run DMC was a constant in my rotation. I wore those cassettes out pretty bad.

Same here, on both fronts.

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #349 of 2,390
A few shots from my Bokeh shoot yesterday...! Notice the photo's showing two units, there will be some slight variance of color on the units due to just different pieces of wood.
_DSC2429 - Copy.jpg_DSC2436 - Copy.jpg_DSC2440.jpgc

Editors Note: Can you re-do these? Your camera seems to be blurring the backgrounds?

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #350 of 2,390
Quick take on the suede pads. Good, but not great for my tastes. Very linear and well balanced, but loses the bass impact and dynamics the protein pads bring. Very good for non-offensive background listening, but not as fun for pure musical enjoyment. Based on my preferences of course. After an hour or so I didn't want to listen to them anymore so i put the protein pads back on. much much better!

Another quick take vs the Atticus (more detail later, i'm swamped right now at work). The Bokeh and Atticus are both highly engaging and musical headphones. I still have a very very slight preference for the Atticus and it's smoothness and midforward nature. The Bokeh is more balanced with better upper mids, as well as faster and more nimble bass. But something about that Atticus thickness around the middle that just does it for me. Both have amazing midbass. The Atticus is smoother and slower (by a hair), but somehow more enjoyable. I do think it's slightly more resolving than the Bokeh, though I wouldn't argue with anyone who disagrees, it's really close. But that bass on the Attius just sounds a touch more nuanced and expressive, despite being outdone on pure quantity by the Bokeh. Yeah, the Bokeh to my ears brings even more bass quantity than the Atticus IMO. But I still like the Atticus' bass more. I have a slight preference for the Bokeh when vocals are important as it's increased presence up top brings them out more. But the Atticus' darkness is not for me a detriment. Just goes to show how different we all hear. I think for a lot of people the Bokeh will be an Atticus replacement. But don't count me amongst that group yet. Maybe time will change my mind, we'll see. But the day the Atticus gets retired (if ever, I hope not!) will be the day the music dies. I'll drive my chevy to the levee and drink my whiskey and rye. That will be the day that i die.

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #351 of 2,390
This is how chatgpt told me it could be used:
But the day the Atticus gets retired (if ever, I hope not!) will be the day the music dies.
Oh - I should mention this, Atticus will be taken off the site starting in 2024, only so that our line-up is less confusing, it will then come back (the greatest always do) and be purchasable through the ZMF Custom shop when that opens up. We're looking for a core group of production models, and then some models that are less popular will be custom orderable.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 6, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #352 of 2,390
Super excited to pick up a closed back headphone from ZMF. Currently have an Aeolus but still unsure about which closed back to go with? Atticus, Verite, or Bokeh

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #353 of 2,390
Super excited to pick up a closed back headphone from ZMF. Currently have an Aeolus but still unsure about which closed back to go with? Atticus, Verite, or Bokeh
The Verite would be the most different from the Aeolus IMO. The Atticus and Bokeh will be more similar, with the Atticus sounding almost identical. The Atrium Closed should also be on the list, it's phenomenal. Obviously for price/performance ratio the Atticus/Bokeh are the best of the bunch.

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #354 of 2,390
I currently have all 3, and that is definitely a tough decision. You can't go wrong with any one of the three, but the safe bet is the Bokeh. The VC and Atticus each have more uniqueness in their FR that requires more careful consideration with amp pairings.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #355 of 2,390
Oof...Bokeh brings more bass quantity than the Atticus? That's a little disappointing for me, because although I do like the Atticus, it's pretty much at the upper limit of bass quantity for me (with the leather pads, it's simply too much and I've been using the suede since day 1). So to hear that this has even more...eh, not ruling it out yet, but that's a bit in the opposite direction of what I was hoping for.

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #357 of 2,390
The Verite would be the most different from the Aeolus IMO. The Atticus and Bokeh will be more similar, with the Atticus sounding almost identical. The Atrium Closed should also be on the list, it's phenomenal. Obviously for price/performance ratio the Atticus/Bokeh are the best of the bunch.
As an owner of the Verité Closed and Atrium Closed, I’d echo that the Atrium Closed should be on your list FOR SURE, budget permitting. 😊

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #358 of 2,390
Oof...Bokeh brings more bass quantity than the Atticus? That's a little disappointing for me, because although I do like the Atticus, it's pretty much at the upper limit of bass quantity for me (with the leather pads, it's simply too much and I've been using the suede since day 1). So to hear that this has even more...eh, not ruling it out yet, but that's a bit in the opposite direction of what I was hoping for.
That's with the protein pads. Going to the hybrid or suede will temper the bass quantity noticeably. It will be more in line with the Eikon with those pads.

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #359 of 2,390
Dec 6, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #360 of 2,390
Pretty sure I'll be partaking in the Bokeh launch discount... Despite initially being set on getting an AC next, the price to performance that the Bokeh sounds like it brings is compelling. The [slightly] lighter/smaller form definitely doesn't hurt either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back