ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Dec 5, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #301 of 2,391
Sponsor Joey Chestnut with a chestnut Bokeh! That's some national advertising there if he's wearing a Bokeh while downing 62 hotdogs...
Here's some images for you to use - or anyone who's game to make these dreams a reality in photoshop.

I'm not totally sure what you're asking for here, but if you really want me to laser etch a picture of Joey Chesnut onto a Bokeh, then I suppose I could.

He actually lives not too far from me. Get me the headphones and I'll deliver them to his doorstep!

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #302 of 2,391
I'm hearing the Bokeh with protein pads and perf mesh sounding very similar overall to the AC with Auteur suede pads. Both are very dynamic and engaging, with a solid bass punch and deep subbass, while bringing some upper mids/treble presence to not sound as sleepy as the Atticus. Very very fun tuning with great balance. The Bokeh has a bit more overall bass presence but it's a bit boomier and resonant in comparison to the AC's more nimble and expressive bass. I keep thinking the Bokeh is very much a slightly unrefined AC, which is a great compliment IMO. Vocals really excel on the Bokeh, I keep thinking there's some of the Auteur's soul in the upper mids with certain vocals like David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, etc. Queen on the Bokeh is spectacular! All this was done on a Tuba tube amp on the high z output (35ohm OI). If i could increase the OI a bit for the AC it would fare better I think.

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #303 of 2,391
@zach915m Is the impedance curve flat on Bokeh? I wonder if you get any frequency response changes by using an amp with high output impedance.

Dec 5, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #304 of 2,391
Once I get these after their launch, I can compare with my Meze 109 Pro. From first impressions, the Bokeh sounds like a good replacement, since the Meze can sound a tad too bright (it's fun for gaming though).
That's a comparison I'd definitely like to hear about.

Dec 5, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #305 of 2,391
How's the transient response from these, are they relatively fast? From what's been mentioned in this thread thus far, the Bokeh sounds like it could be a great choice for rock and metal. I'm curious to hear some impressions with these driven from a dap with a good amp section. Hopefully they don't need too much juice to sing and perform at full potential.

Dec 5, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #306 of 2,391
How's the transient response from these, are they relatively fast? From what's been mentioned in this thread thus far, the Bokeh sounds like it could be a great choice for rock and metal. I'm curious to hear some impressions with these driven from a dap with a good amp section. Hopefully they don't need too much juice to sing and perform at full potential.
With the protein pads, the LCP drivers feel very snappy and agile. I'm going to put on the Hybrids tomorrow.

I'd temper expectations slightly on how easy these are to drive to their full potential. I've had okay to good success with several portable options, but IMO these are more suited to use with a small desktop amp or bigger. They do scale very well with higher end gear. I used them last night with my Stratus and Cavalli LAu and both were sublime combos.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #307 of 2,391
With the protein pads, the LCP drivers feel very snappy and agile. I'm going to put on the Hybrids tomorrow.

I'd temper expectations slightly on how easy these are to drive to their full potential. I've had okay to good success with several portable options, but IMO these are more suited to use with a small desktop amp or bigger. They do scale very well with higher end gear. I used them with my Stratus and LAu last night and both were sublime combos.
Hopefully something like the Fiio M15s will do the trick, offering close to a full watt per channel. Hope so anyways. I'm only using daps these days.

Dec 5, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #308 of 2,391
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 5, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #309 of 2,391
Hopefully something like the Fiio M15s will do the trick, offering close to a full watt per channel. Hope so anyways. I'm only using daps these days.
Mostly any device will drive them to good volume, and low impedance devices do really well like DAPs - but the bigger desktop gear does let them scale up - although the "level" of scalability is less than our 300 ohm cans as you're able to raise the "floor" so to speak with DAPs and other smaller devices from where the floor is with the 300 ohm stuff.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 5, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #310 of 2,391
Dec 5, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #311 of 2,391

I'd temper expectations slightly on how easy these are to drive to their full potential. I've had okay to good success with several portable options, but IMO these are more suited to use with a small desktop amp or bigger. They do scale very well with higher end gear. I used them last night with my Stratus and Cavalli LAu and both were sublime combos.
How were they on the Stratus? I spent a few hours before bed on the Stratus yesterday and felt with my tube roll it was borderline overkill on bass. Man that bass was like a jackhammer! I normally run NOS RCA rectifier and power tubes, but I kept wanting to stop and roll leaner tubes like the stock tubes. But then i'd get into it and think oh what the hell, what's a bit of extra bass... :)

Dec 5, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #312 of 2,391
Fits nice in a Seahorse case including all the extra pads

Attachments

• IMG_1483.jpeg
    IMG_1483.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Dec 5, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #313 of 2,391
I've been listening for a couple days now as well and man the Bokeh is amazing. It has a warmer top end than the AC I'd say. I prefer warmer treble in closed backs personally. The tuning is just perfection really. I'm honestly not sure which headphone I have more fun listening to between the AC and the Bokeh. The AC is a bit more technical, but I think I actually may prefer the upper mids and treble of the Bokeh.

@Wes S I started on the solids and moved to the hybrid. I haven't done a lot of back and forth, but I think the hybrid pads brought out more of the upper mids for me. I think this is actually just because they decreased the mid-bass and let the top end shine a bit. I loved both pads. I haven't tried mesh vs no mesh. This unit had the burst mesh on it already so I've stuck with that. I'll give the suede pads a try too, but I'm generally not a suede pad guy. My HA-300 is off for some tinkering so I'm on solid state right now. Actually, I think the cat is out of the bag now so I'm free to say that I'm listening to them on the new Nitsch Pietus amp. Truly an amazing combo.

I'm spending a good amount of time listening before I write up my detailed impressions on the Bokeh, but quick guy impressions is this is an amazing closed back ZMF. I it may actually be some folks preferred closed back ZMF tuning even. They have a very romantic and dimensional sound.

Amazing work @zach915m :clap:!

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #315 of 2,391
Quick additional update:
Bokeh sounds great off the Mojo 2. No surprise there. I could listen to just this combo for hours...
I listened a little out of the Mojo 2. I thought it was a solid pairing from what I heard. I'll listen to that combo more tomorrow.

How were they on the Stratus? I spent a few hours before bed on the Stratus yesterday and felt with my tube roll it was borderline overkill on bass. Man that bass was like a jackhammer! I normally run NOS RCA rectifier and power tubes, but I kept wanting to stop and roll leaner tubes like the stock tubes. But then i'd get into it and think oh what the hell, what's a bit of extra bass... :)
I don't really roll on my Stratus much. Usually keep Ken Rads in, which push it to neutral warm. I've been meaning to pick some RCAs up. What rectifier do you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back