ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 7, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #8,176 of 8,327
So, worth the cost of the upgrade, in your opinion?
I mean yeah IMO, but I know there are members in this thread who absolutely prefer the OG version.
In my chain/ears I hear the classic as a Atrium open Jr., more or less. I hear a better stage, more midbass and a slightly warmer overall sound vs. the OG. That being said Ive read others mention that they prefer vocals on the OG, so pick your poison.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #8,177 of 8,327
Cup your ears over the circular driver back vents of your Auteur and you basically have an Eikon in an instant. :wink:
It'll go on my short list for closed backs along with the E3.

Mar 7, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #8,178 of 8,327
ZMF is launching a new, rebranded Eikon, the Eikon(ic) 2024 (link below). The drivers are those used in the Auteur Classic. At first that seems a bit alarming (new drivers! unfamiliar sound!), until you remember the Eikon was the closed-back biodynamic that preceded its open-backed sibling, the Auteur. So I'm guessing the Eikon(ic) will sound even a bit better than the OG Eikon, which was pretty amazing.

If you have an Eikon or Eikon(ic), you will have a new bass champion, better in every way (including far better comfort) than the TX-00. I had a mahogany TX-00 from Massdrop, then a somewhat similar but even better-sounding (IMO) E Mu Teak. The OG Eikon vaulted right over them.

Not sure if anyone has the Eikon(ic) yet, so maybe no reviews. But they'll be forthcoming.

(oops ... forgot the link) https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/products/eikon-classic
Right! That's an interesting new option. BUT...I just don't think I want a closed headphone to be my one-and-only. I'm still fairly sure I'll be getting the Auteur Classic in November.

BTW. The Auteur Classic retails for US$1500. What are the November sale prices like?

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #8,179 of 8,327
Man, my OG sound so good! I’ll give the update/upgrade some thought, but these sound great in stock form.

iYFCh3d.jpg

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #8,180 of 8,327
BTW. The Auteur Classic retails for US$1500. What are the November sale prices like?
I think $1299 for B-stock sets? Some of the B-stock sets looked amazing last year too. Crazy grain and ambrosia stripes. Tempted me to buy another set lol

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #8,181 of 8,327
Man, my OG sound so good! I’ll give the update/upgrade some thought, but these sound great in stock form.

iYFCh3d.jpg
.... Auteur OG and Auteur Classic each have their own magic! OG 'updated' (note this wording!) to Classic = OG Lost [ John Milton,😒 ].

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #8,182 of 8,327

iYFCh3d.jpg
There's really nothing like Auteurs on tubes!

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #8,183 of 8,327
Right! That's an interesting new option. BUT...I just don't think I want a closed headphone to be my one-and-only. I'm still fairly sure I'll be getting the Auteur Classic in November.

I’m waiting for Zach to come out with a convertible headphone. Have a lever on the ear cup controlling a vented iris where the simple grill is now. The amount of venting is user controlled on the fly ranging from fully open back to nearly closed. Maybe have a few extra bits and bobs for tweaking the damping as well. People get pad rolling overload now. Can you even imagine?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #8,184 of 8,327
I probably would have upgraded my OG to a Classic by now if it was cheaper. I wish Zach would consider discounting the upgrade once or twice a year for secondhand owners. I simply can’t justify it at $600, but at $400 I’d surely have done it by now.

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #8,186 of 8,327
I'm in agreement with the above two posts. The other thing that makes me take pause with the update of my OG, is the total investment in these headphones. I'm guesstimating that after I spent the money for the update, shipping, etc., I'd lose a lot of money on my resale in the future, as my total investment in these headphones would exceed the cost of brand new ones.

Mar 8, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #8,187 of 8,327
I'm in agreement with the above two posts. The other thing that makes me take pause with the update of my OG, is the total investment in these headphones. I'm guesstimating that after I spent the money for the update, shipping, etc., I'd lose a lot of money on my resale in the future, as my total investment in these headphones would exceed the cost of brand new ones.
Yeah, I honestly don’t know what I’d do personally. You could always see if this Auteur sells and then pick up a used Auteur Classic for a 2-3 hundred bucks more. The benefit of getting the upgrade from ZMF is that they’ll inspect the headphones and even give you the lifetime driver warranty as they do for the original owner.

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #8,188 of 8,327
I probably would have upgraded my OG to a Classic by now if it was cheaper. I wish Zach would consider discounting the upgrade once or twice a year for secondhand owners. I simply can’t justify it at $600, but at $400 I’d surely have done it by now.

This and hearing from others with the Classic that the Original is really the sweet spot between the HD650 and HD800 with tonality and soundstage with the Classic leaning towards the HD800. Besides, the Classic sounds like it is more approaching the Klipsch Heritage HP-3 and I still have those.

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #8,189 of 8,327

That’s the other issue: I’ll have shelled out $2K for a $1500 headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back