ZMF Auteur Thread
Feb 6, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #8,146 of 8,327
I agree with what others wrote already, the Auteur is providing a somewhat similar sound signature as the HD6xx models, but it plays in different league. There's really nothing I feel like my HD-650 would do better than my OG Auteur. My first ZMF headphone was the Aeolus, which sound signature (with stock pads) wasn't for me, luckily I purchased them from an EU dealer (the only one back then), which accepted my return. I loved the design though, and I liked how Zach conducted himself online and with customers, so I later on ended up buying the Auteurs blind as well. The Auteurs were so spot on to my tastes that I didn't look at other headphones for 3 years.

I somewhat recently wanted to start experimenting again and get some new flavors so to speak, which made me order the Atrium and the Bokeh, but like I mentioned here before I think the Auteur hold up pretty well to the much more expensive Atrium, and I guess I'm a full blown ZMF fanboy at this point, despite not even liking my first encounter with their headphones.
I purchaesed the Atrium after selling my OG Bocote Auteur. I then sold the Atrium and purchased a used OG Auteur. The Atrium is certainly much better than the OG Auteur in terms of technicalities and soundstage. But I like the Autuer's brighter, livelier mids. The Atrium's mids were too pushed back and dark for me.

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #8,147 of 8,327
"Auteuer Og was my first pair of headphones."
I salute this amazing entry into the world of headphones, and admire that clarity of purpose from the outset! I moved to ZMFs in the last two years after many, many years playing around way below (Koss PortaPros, Shure SRH145, Superlux, Phillips X2 HR, Sundara, Meze Noir, ZMF Atticus, Auteur, Eikon, LCD-XC)... nice to see an alternative route to a great destination.

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #8,148 of 8,327
I purchaesed the Atrium after selling my OG Bocote Auteur. I then sold the Atrium and purchased a used OG Auteur. The Atrium is certainly much better than the OG Auteur in terms of technicalities and soundstage. But I like the Autuer's brighter, livelier mids. The Atrium's mids were too pushed back and dark for me.
Yeah the Atrium is not a straight upgrade across the board vs the Auteur, I agree completely that Auteur has a brighter and more upfront midrange. That's why I'm thinking I'm keeping both, although pad rolling probably brings them a bit closer together with the right combinations.

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #8,149 of 8,327
I own two Auteur OG LTD and two Atrium LTD. Sonically, they all can and do coexist, get plenty of 'headtime'. Never have I felt the need to 'update' (vs 'upgrade') Auteur OG to Auteur Classic.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #8,150 of 8,327
Yes, that's right.
I don't have the need to update my OG, but I am interested in having a classic.

The OG is actually brighter and more vertical, while the Atrium is much deeper.
However, the Atrium can be steered slightly in the direction of the Auteur if you change pads and select neutral tubes for the tube amplifier.

I would prefer the Auteur if it had the bass slam of the Atrium, I would be very happy with it.
At the end of the day, the Auteur is still a great headphone.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #8,151 of 8,327
I have to mention a ZMF headphone that doesn't get talked about a lot any more, but that might do the trick for you: the Eikon, the closed-back headphone that uses the same bio-cellulose driver as the open-back Auteur.

If you like the TH-X00, you're probably OK with a closed back (Eikon). You're probably OK with an upper midrange that can seem a bit emphatic on certain tracks of certain genres (Eikon). As for the rest:
  • I thought the Eikon's bass was a master class in dynamic driver bass: it went very deep with authority (real sub-bass); sounded pretty flat through the entire bass range; and conveyed plenty of nuance and texture of each bass instrument
  • The rest of the frequencies were on par with bass quality: midrange is large, expressive, detailed, but not rubbing your nose in it. Upper mids could be a bit truthful at times, but choice of amp & DAC affected that greatly; and the treble was all there, but didn't shovel "air" into your ears, making the entire hp sound tipped up
  • But maybe the best things about the Eikon were above and beyond frequency response. The Eikon has spectacular dynamics, really upper tier. It also has far above average soundstaging for a closed back. I'm not sure I've heard better soundstage from a closed back, and this was way before ZMF's highly effective ADS feature
The musicality of the Eikon didn't hit my ears like that of a 650, but that was mainly because it was closed, had such great bass, dynamics, and soundstage. In any case, the musicality is definitely there (there's just something about a biodynamic driver).
  • I owned both a TH-XOO (mahogany) and E-Mu Teak.
  • To my ears the Teak was the better headphone, but neither one really is in the same league as the Eikon sonically (my 2 cents).
PS: The only reason I sold that gorgeous padauk Eikon was that closed back dynamics tend to aggravate headache and tinnitus for (especially when they sound great and I want to crank it!).
That's an interesting idea. Is the Eikon still in production?

Honestly I'd prefer an open-back even if the bass was not on quite the same level as the Fostex bass. And even though the idea is to replace my X00 and 6XX (and Fidelio X2 and K371) with one TotL pair, let's be honest, I will probably never part with the X00. So...for now...I think the Auteur Classic is still the frontrunner. But I'm not planning to purchase until the November sale (assuming it'll be happening again this year?), so plenty of time still to weigh up options.

Since pads are a big feature of ZMF headphones, which would give the Auteur Classic the closest bass to the Fostex? What are the other tradeoffs? I assumed I'd just stick with the default lambskin pads.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #8,152 of 8,327
As a fairly recent Auteur Classic owner I must say tonaly wise these heapdhones just hit the spot for me. I just love the ZMF neutral (with a pinch of warmth) tuning that goes so well with basically all sorts of music and while there are other headphones with similar SQ none that I've tried does it as good as the Auteur, at least to my ears. I owned several ZMF headphones, from Atticus to Aeolus (3 times) to Eikons and OG Auteur to VO and now the Auteur Classic and out of them all the Classic just strikes the right balance between clean/fast/detailed and musical/warm/not boring for me. I'm in the downsizing equipment/maximising value kinda faze and have been searching for a versatile headphone that can do it all and do it really well for a while now and think the Auteurs Classic fits the bill just perfectly.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #8,153 of 8,327
Yeah the Atrium is not a straight upgrade across the board vs the Auteur, I agree completely that Auteur has a brighter and more upfront midrange. That's why I'm thinking I'm keeping both, although pad rolling probably brings them a bit closer together with the right combinations.
It definitely gets closer but I still felt I was missing something. For my personal tastes, I found the vocals too thick. I like the breathier nature of the Auteur for all vocals.

Feb 8, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #8,154 of 8,327

As a fairly recent Auteur Classic owner I must say tonaly wise these heapdhones just hit the spot for me. I just love the ZMF neutral (with a pinch of warmth) tuning that goes so well with basically all sorts of music and while there are other headphones with similar SQ none that I've tried does it as good as the Auteur, at least to my ears. I owned several ZMF headphones, from Atticus to Aeolus (3 times) to Eikons and OG Auteur to VO and now the Auteur Classic and out of them all the Classic just strikes the right balance between clean/fast/detailed and musical/warm/not boring for me. I'm in the downsizing equipment/maximising value kinda faze and have been searching for a versatile headphone that can do it all and do it really well for a while now and think the Auteurs Classic fits the bill just perfectly.

See, this is exactly my gut feeling: the Auteur Classic might be one of those rare 'Goldilocks headphones' for me.

Headphones with 'spot on' tonality are really hard to beat. I've owned higher tier headphones that could not outright beat (or even match) the HD650 in tonality, and it would always disappoint me a little. While the technicalities impressed, I would always end up missing the tonality of the HD650.

The only other headphone that won my heart with its tonality was the LCD-2 rev. 2 (pre-fazor). God, what a great headphone that was... Too bad one driver died, and they came back from RMA with 2016 fazor drivers. It was never the same. :,)

I feel like the Auteur Classic earns its place in my Pantheon of Top-Tier Tonality, alongside the HD600/650 and the pre-fazor LCD-2.

Feb 8, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #8,156 of 8,327
Never should have opened this thread. Y'all have convinced me. Saving for November starts now.
Haha that's what we're here for! It's an easily overlooked headphone. There wasn't as much press or reviews done on it compared with other ZMF models, but the people who have it really love it. Myself included!

Look out for a Mango Wood LTD drop for the Atueur Classic in the coming days/weeks. If you're looking for a unique set, this may be your chance.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #8,157 of 8,327
Haha that's what we're here for! It's an easily overlooked headphone. There wasn't as much press or reviews done on it compared with other ZMF models, but the people who have it really love it. Myself included!

Look out for a Mango Wood LDT drop for the Atueur Classic in the coming days/weeks. If you're looking for a unique set, this may be your chance.
As much as I would love a special edition, I simply can't afford to buy my set right now. Gonna just cross my fingers for something cool in November, and keep an eye out for used sales.

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #8,158 of 8,327
That's an interesting idea. Is the Eikon still in production?

Honestly I'd prefer an open-back even if the bass was not on quite the same level as the Fostex bass. And even though the idea is to replace my X00 and 6XX (and Fidelio X2 and K371) with one TotL pair, let's be honest, I will probably never part with the X00. So...for now...I think the Auteur Classic is still the frontrunner. But I'm not planning to purchase until the November sale (assuming it'll be happening again this year?), so plenty of time still to weigh up options.

Since pads are a big feature of ZMF headphones, which would give the Auteur Classic the closest bass to the Fostex? What are the other tradeoffs? I assumed I'd just stick with the default lambskin pads.
I only heard the Auteur Classic for a short time IMS (had heard the OG Auteur often at shows + a few times IMS). Sonic memory is imperfect, but I remember being impressed by the better, more impactful bass of the Classic (better & more impactful than I remember the OG Auteur having). Plus courtesy of the ADS, the Classic's soundstage was really wonderful.

It has been years since I owned a TH-XOO and E-Mu Teak, so really can't compare the Classic's bass to theirs. But I (a borderline basshead) certainly didn't feel deprived by the Classic's bass. Quite the contrary. I thought it worked and fit the rest of the frequencies perfectly.

PS: The Eikon is no longer in production. Used ones come up F.S. now and then.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #8,159 of 8,327
A new auteur Classic LTD is available March 1st. A tasty mango version. Really like the pop this wood has. It's nice and lightweight too.

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/stock-headphones

_DSC2619.jpg_DSC2636.jpg_DSC2641.jpg_DSC2768.jpg_DSC2772.jpg

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 7, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #8,160 of 8,327
Heard the Auteur (stock pads and CC cable) yesterday at @Cat Whisperer Bob 's home.

First with a Liquid Platinum w/ Amperex Bugle Boys (and Musician Pegasus w/ both amps) vs. my HD-600. Summary: It's like the Auteur's had 20% infusion of an LCD-4 (OG). Denser lower reaching bass, and a relaxed upper mid range/lower treble. I didn't listen to anything with an annoying treble, but quite sure the Auteur would have won that easily. Bigger stage - esp horizontal, and far better definition. I concentrated on Norah Jones first LP which is clean and not bright, and that was a clear win on all fronts for the Auteur.

Then vs his HFM Stealth and my HE-6 SE on his Aune S-17 Pro (which I hadn't heard before). On most cuts - esp several on Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus" the Auteur made the HFM's sound thin with a recessed midrange that was also lacking definition/focus/depth! It went that way with most cuts, although not as pronounced and the Stealth topped it w/ a few cuts that called for big soundstage and transparency, the 6 SE had better bass impact that was noted a few times, and probably had the lowest distortion/cleanest sound, but just was a bit wan overall vs the other two. Both HFM's did a bit better with Patricia Barber's "Cafe Blue", which was interesting.

Side note on Aune heat concerns: My tastes in volume are lowish by todays standards - (no non bass peaks over 90 db) was primarily set to 24 for ZMF, 30 for Stealth, and 47 for HE-6 SE and it did get a mite hot with the 6 SE. Looking at an internal pic, ventilation holes (or more heat sinking at the front and back plane) might be useful, or a internal fan or external fan pointed at one of the rear ventilation holes - because turning the output down when it senses it's too hot is frustrating to a user, and if the sensor ever gives while over driving it you'll get Aune flambe', which would suck in every way. I woudn't hook up a pair of Maggies to it for sure.

Have to get the ZMF up here before the tulips bloom to see how it fares in my set-up. As many before have discovered, it's a pretty damn fine headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back