ZMF Auteur Thread
Feb 5, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #8,131 of 8,329
I just did a little test again on some of my favorite songs and like i said before the 6xx and auteur classic do not compare, 6xx is great, it’s your first dip into audio, you will never sell it because you love it the way it is but auteur classic the 10/10, never fatiguing, engaging not excessively revealing of the recording’s defaults but at the same time quite detailed… i mean heck i don’t even know if you can get better for all day listening than that, most other headphones will tire you at some point or will not pair on some tracks/genre/albums, not the auteur classics, sure you can get a better sounding headphone for specific genre but i don’t think you can get better for an all ‘rounder. It’s not a jack of all trade it’s a master of all, i really mean it, it’s the first headphone i’ve decided to keep permanently and it will never change i think. Build quality outstanding and you can pad swap on top of all that to have different flavors of your headphone when you feel like it.
I think you really can’t go wrong with the auteur classic but this is just my view on the topic.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #8,132 of 8,329
I just did a little test again on some of my favorite songs and like i said before the 6xx and auteur classic do not compare, 6xx is great, it’s your first dip into audio, you will never sell it because you love it the way it is but auteur classic the 10/10, never fatiguing, engaging not excessively revealing of the recording’s defaults but at the same time quite detailed… i mean heck i don’t even know if you can get better for all day listening than that, most other headphones will tire you at some point or will not pair on some tracks/genre/albums, not the auteur classics, sure you can get a better sounding headphone for specific genre but i don’t think you can get better for an all ‘rounder. It’s not a jack of all trade it’s a master of all, i really mean it, it’s the first headphone i’ve decided to keep permanently and it will never change i think. Build quality outstanding and you can pad swap on top of all that to have different flavors of your headphone when you feel like it.
I think you really can’t go wrong with the auteur classic but this is just my view on the topic.
Can't say I disagree with you - I think being the middle-child ZMF, so-to-speak, it does feel like it gets a bit forgotten, as many people seem to aim for either the cheaper options as a ZMF intro, or jump straight to the flagships to get 'the best'.

The Classic is still firmly my favourite 'work headphone' (favourite for gaming too) because the ambrosia maple is beautifully lightweight, the choice pads are super comfy, it has absolutely zero fatigue factor and still sounds awesome with everything.

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #8,133 of 8,329
well said 👏 ... especially for a new Head-Fier! You seem to have your head ears screwed on straight! 👍🤣

Feb 5, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #8,134 of 8,329
The Classic is still firmly my favourite 'work headphone' (favourite for gaming too) because the ambrosia maple is beautifully lightweight, the choice pads are super comfy, it has absolutely zero fatigue factor and still sounds awesome with everything.
yes ! it's so good for gaming... i feel like it's effortlessly engaging you into it and you just forget about it while you are absorbed into the game then all of a sudden you get impressed by the footsteps of a wolf on the grass coming from the far left in the woods haha
well said 👏 ... especially for a new Head-Fier! You seem to have your head ears screwed on straight! 👍🤣
thank you man!

Feb 5, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #8,135 of 8,329
If we assume that the Fostex bass can't be replicated by the Auteur, then what does it offer over the 6XX in particular?
I agree with what others wrote already, the Auteur is providing a somewhat similar sound signature as the HD6xx models, but it plays in different league. There's really nothing I feel like my HD-650 would do better than my OG Auteur. My first ZMF headphone was the Aeolus, which sound signature (with stock pads) wasn't for me, luckily I purchased them from an EU dealer (the only one back then), which accepted my return. I loved the design though, and I liked how Zach conducted himself online and with customers, so I later on ended up buying the Auteurs blind as well. The Auteurs were so spot on to my tastes that I didn't look at other headphones for 3 years.

I somewhat recently wanted to start experimenting again and get some new flavors so to speak, which made me order the Atrium and the Bokeh, but like I mentioned here before I think the Auteur hold up pretty well to the much more expensive Atrium, and I guess I'm a full blown ZMF fanboy at this point, despite not even liking my first encounter with their headphones.

Feb 6, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #8,136 of 8,329
I've owned the Auteur Classic for a year now. I can definitely concur with what others are saying: this headphone is pretty much a "Super HD600/650" to me. This is high praise in my book, because it's exactly what I've been looking after owning an HD600 at the beginning of my journey. I just wanted a dang headphone that would sound as balanced, natural and delightful in its midrange... but BETTER (especially in terms of bass weight and definition, which is the biggest fault of the HD600/650, IMO). That seemed like too much to ask, until the Auteur Classic. (Mind you, I've not heard the Aeolus... but for reference, I've owned the Atticus, and it was not for me. I have reason to believe the Aeolus would not sway me away from my Auteur. :wink:)

The Auteur Classic literally makes me forget about my HD650 (which I still own). No, seriously: the HD650 is back in its box, in my closet. Other than weight, the AC outright beats the HD650 to me.

If you're a fan of the HD600/650, like I am, I think this headphone is a slam dunk. I hope to one day try the Verite and Atrium, but I wouldn't be surprised if I still preferred my Auteur Classic.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #8,137 of 8,329
I've owned the Auteur Classic for a year now. I can definitely concur with what others have are saying. This headphone is pretty much a "Super HD600/650" to me. This is high praise in my book, because it's exactly what I've been looking after owning an HD600 at the beginning of my journey. I just wanted a dang headphone that would sound as balanced, natural and delightful in its midrange... but BETTER (especially in terms of bass weight and definition, which is the biggest fault of the HD600/650, IMO). That seemed like too much to ask, until the Auteur Classic. (Mind you, I've not heard the Aeolus... but for reference, I've owned the Atticus, and it was not for me. I have reason to believe the Aeolus would not sway me away from my Auteur. :wink:)
Especially if you view Aeolus as an open-back proxy / version of Atticus.
The Auteur Classic literally makes me forget about my HD650 (which I still own). No, seriously: the HD650 is back in its box, in my closet. Other than weight, the AC outright beats the HD650 to me.

If you're a fan of the HD600/650, like I am, I think this headphone is a slam dunk. I hope to one day try the Verite and Atrium, but I wouldn't be surprised if I still preferred my Auteur Classic.
Verite Closed, Verite Open, Atrium, Auteur Classic - each has its set of 'charms'.

Feb 6, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #8,138 of 8,329
Hello,
Auteuer Og was my first pair of headphones.
I listened to it on the Euforia amplifier for over a year.
And then I bought the Atrium and preferred it.
Since then I only listen to Atrium, and occasionally I switch to Auteur to reset the head.
I got a new tube amp 6 months ago and the Auteur is very different to an OTL amp, much more vertical which I love and more bass.
I need to listen to it more often, but when I put it on I just love it, that's just the way it is.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #8,139 of 8,329
Literally out of words. Just sounds soooo gooood.

IMG_3810 (1).jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #8,140 of 8,329
I felt the same way until I recently got my Bottlehead Crack out again and plugged the 6XX’s in. Holy smoke, what an enjoyable, lush listen! For some reason, the Auteur Classic is the first ZMF dynamic I’ve heard that I actually prefer on a lower output impedance (from my Pendant SE in this case). It sounds like there’s a pretty intense midrange spike in the FR when it’s “un-dampened,” and while it adds dimension, stage, and more of that tube magic, I find it ultimately fatiguing.

The 6XX’s on the other hand really come alive with a high output impedance. Especially with an OTL amp. I now have a second setup with that 6XX/Crack combo, just so I can enjoy the lush, tubey goodness. That smooth, warm sound really complements the Auteur Classic’s more honest presentation.

Feb 6, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #8,141 of 8,329
While we're comparing the Auteur Classic with the 6XX/650.

I'm considering the Auteur Classic as a direct upgrade from my 6XX and Fostex TH-X00. I want an all-in-one headphone that excels with the musicality of the 6XX with the fun meaty bass of the X00 withou any other compromises. It's kind of annoying that I constantly switch between the two depending on what genre I'm listening to. I also have an X2 and AGK K371 which I barely use. I want to consolidate all those pairs into ONE pair that just does everything.

The Auteur Classic seem to be the best candidate so far at a price I can still justify (not interested in the Susvara, etc.). What do you all think? Is the Aeolus worth considering? Other ZMF options? How do they compare?

Agreed. If one wants a headphone that kicks bass, period, Fostex is it. I cannot think of the headphone that has Fostex bass "without any other compromises" [ext23's words].
When I crave a fun bass experience I reach back to the TR-X00's "Ma Thumpers." Before MassDrop transitioned to Drop I grabbed the mahogany versions of these when they did a limited release with detachable connections. The biodynamic bass is addictive and I imagine the Atrium Closed may come close to the sound but I have not tried one first hand yet. Hoping ZMF will have some at NYC CanJam.

20240206_152556[1].jpg

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #8,142 of 8,329
Guys, i have a mojo 2 as my dac, i still have my old ifi zen dac and the difference between the two are very apparent. As i am upgrading my system, the head 2 should arrive on tuesday of this week. I was looking at the holo spring 3 dac, then i saw a video of zeos switching between 3 dacs including the holo may and he could not tell them apart. I am worried the difference between my two dacs are just in my head and there will be no benefit if i buy the holo spring 3….
My question is, is there a difference in dacs ?
YES. Most definitely yes.

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #8,143 of 8,329
I'm considering the Auteur Classic as a direct upgrade from my 6XX and Fostex TH-X00. I want an all-in-one headphone that excels with the musicality of the 6XX with the fun meaty bass of the X00 withou any other compromises.
I have to mention a ZMF headphone that doesn't get talked about a lot any more, but that might do the trick for you: the Eikon, the closed-back headphone that uses the same bio-cellulose driver as the open-back Auteur.

If you like the TH-X00, you're probably OK with a closed back (Eikon). You're probably OK with an upper midrange that can seem a bit emphatic on certain tracks of certain genres (Eikon). As for the rest:
  • I thought the Eikon's bass was a master class in dynamic driver bass: it went very deep with authority (real sub-bass); sounded pretty flat through the entire bass range; and conveyed plenty of nuance and texture of each bass instrument
  • The rest of the frequencies were on par with bass quality: midrange is large, expressive, detailed, but not rubbing your nose in it. Upper mids could be a bit truthful at times, but choice of amp & DAC affected that greatly; and the treble was all there, but didn't shovel "air" into your ears, making the entire hp sound tipped up
  • But maybe the best things about the Eikon were above and beyond frequency response. The Eikon has spectacular dynamics, really upper tier. It also has far above average soundstaging for a closed back. I'm not sure I've heard better soundstage from a closed back, and this was way before ZMF's highly effective ADS feature
The musicality of the Eikon didn't hit my ears like that of a 650, but that was mainly because it was closed, had such great bass, dynamics, and soundstage. In any case, the musicality is definitely there (there's just something about a biodynamic driver).
  • I owned both a TH-XOO (mahogany) and E-Mu Teak.
  • To my ears the Teak was the better headphone, but neither one really is in the same league as the Eikon sonically (my 2 cents).
PS: The only reason I sold that gorgeous padauk Eikon was that closed back dynamics tend to aggravate headache and tinnitus for (especially when they sound great and I want to crank it!).

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #8,144 of 8,329
Sooo regarding the trafomatic head, it was a bit of a crap show 😂

Tldr at the end of the message for those who don’t care about the whole story.

The trafomatic head 2 had electric noise going on and the signal was mono… i contacted the guy explaining the situation, he told me to plug it into the emi filter and not the wall which i had already done. He told me to swap the tubes but it didn’t fix the problem. So he refunded me and i will send it back tomorrow. Even with no soundstage because it was in mono and with electric noise what i hear was really good, the bass was outstanding the timbre quite natural and spot on, voices were coming in super smooths and everything was very textured. But like i said the most impressive thing was the bass, actual insanity, even the 6xx was making me want to node my head in rythme with the bass !! He explained to me that he leant the unit to a guy for three weeks before and that he did not check if the unit was okay before sending it to me…Anyway, i am now thinking about maybe getting a holo audio bliss instead of just buying another trafomatic head 2 because of the problems encountered and all the hassle of dealing with tubes…so to summarize, the auteur on the head 2 seem at first listen quite amazing but i would not take anything i said as true because the unit was apparently damaged/not working properly….

Tldr : unit was broken, electrical noise, signal was in mono, the little bit of sound i heard through the head 2 seemed amazing but nothing can be taken seriously. View this as a fun read and nothing else.

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #8,145 of 8,329

Users who are viewing this thread

Back