ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 23, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #7,757 of 8,325
I feel like this is going to be the most common response I get regarding this question 🤣. Just want to see if there are any negative views on the update.
May be you have to put the question in right way…what is that you are looking for from this upgrade ? May be someone can confirm if you would get those upgrade or not

Jul 23, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #7,758 of 8,325
I think my only concern for the upgrade is losing the slightly forward upper-mids. I like them. Does the upgrade change that a lot? I like all the other changes I read about (soundstage, bass, dynamics).

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #7,759 of 8,325
I think my only concern for the upgrade is losing the slightly forward upper-mids. I like them. Does the upgrade change that a lot? I like all the other changes I read about (soundstage, bass, dynamics).
I think the Classic has even slightly more forward (more filled in) upper mids over the OG. The whole sound is also a little more even, especially in the upper midrange and treble.

Jul 23, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #7,761 of 8,325
Don’t do it man. Hang on to your OG. You can’t go back if you end up not liking classic or you miss OG.

And yet, not a single person has said they don't like the Classic.

Jul 23, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #7,763 of 8,325
Read up on the Merason Frerot. I have its big brother, the DAC 1 and it's stage is massive in all directions, highly detailed and insane dynamics. In a word, this DAC moves.

Only thing to consider is the Merason DACs do not do DSD or MQA, or bells and whistles.****
**** neither does live music … 🎼🙂🎵

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #7,764 of 8,325
I just know how much I love my OG Blackwood. Zach isn't going to make any more OG. I know people love the new classic though.

Blackwood Classic isn't bad either especially when it comes to looks.:wink:

PXL_20230516_173631372.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Jul 25, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #7,765 of 8,325
So which version has the more pronounced upper mids (not to say the s-word (shouty)?
The classic or the OG? or does it depend on the pads?

I have an OG and contemplating, if it makes "sense" to buy a classic form the HotCupSummerOfBurl...
or should I complement my Auteur OG with another ZMF headphone from the HCSOB which is more different?

So many so great ZMF headphones around......

Jul 25, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #7,766 of 8,325
I have an OG and contemplating, if it makes "sense" to buy a classic form the HotCupSummerOfBurl...
or should I complement my Auteur OG with another ZMF headphone from the HCSOB which is more different?

I've only heard the Classic and VC, but unless you've heard a great deal of ZMFs and know that the Auteur is the sound that you prefer, I'd personally go with a different flavour of ZMF instead of having both the OG and Classic. Just a matter of figuring out which one .. :sweat_smile:

Anecdotally, when I first got the stock Classic (first ZMF) I was ready to pick up a stabilized fancy version and call it a day. But now having the VC, that's the one I gravitate towards.

Jul 25, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #7,767 of 8,325
So which version has the more pronounced upper mids (not to say the s-word (shouty)?

I would suggest a different ZMF. The Auteur and the Auteur Classic will be more similar than different. Other models will give you more of a contrast, allowing you to choose the one you prefer for different genres or even your mood.

Jul 25, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #7,768 of 8,325
Read up on the Merason Frerot. I have its big brother, the DAC 1 and it's stage is massive in all directions, highly detailed and insane dynamics. In a word, this DAC moves.

Only thing to consider is the Merason DACs do not do DSD or MQA, or bells and whistles.
I’ve been reading up on this and this is awfully compelling as an upgrade to Bifrost 2. Thanks!

Jul 25, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #7,769 of 8,325
I’ve been reading up on this and this is awfully compelling as an upgrade to Bifrost 2. Thanks!

You should consider the Gustard R26. It is a similar price to the Frerot. Using the LAN input, the sound is such an upgrade to the Bifrost 2. The sound is still has weight but somewhat less so but you gain so much in clarity, definition and soundstage depth.

Jul 25, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #7,770 of 8,325

Yeah it might make more sense to get another ZMF and send your Auteur in for an upgrade if you decide you want the Classic. Those Burl Verite Opens would be my top pick 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back