ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 15, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #7,726 of 8,378
I believe the majority of the stabilized sets are going to be in the high 2000's of the Janka scale, regardless of their wood species.
Sentences like this are why I keep coming back to Head-Fi...

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #7,727 of 8,378
I just received my Bifrost 2 back from Schiit and I paired it with my ZMF Auteur OG and Eufonika H5 miflex yesterday. This is surprising to me but I actually prefer the Auteurs + Eufonika amp using my iphone 14 as a source (versus connected to the Bifrost 2). I had the Bifrost 2 on for less than an hour but it sounded too warm and smooth too my ears. Clarity wasn't as good and dynamics seemed muted in a way. Should I try leaving the Bifrost 2 on for a few hours to see if it makes a difference?

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #7,728 of 8,378
I do believe I've heard the bifrost needs to warm up, but seems like it could be a case of warm dac + warm tubes just being a bit too much together.

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #7,729 of 8,378
I do believe I've heard the bifrost needs to warm up, but seems like it could be a case of warm dac + warm tubes just being a bit too much together.
I think you are correct. I think the Bifrost 2 works great with my Jot 2 plus Beyer T1.2. But with the Auteur (already a warm and rich headphone) plus tubes, it's just too much. Any recommendations for a more neutral (but not sterile/analytical) DAC under 1000 dollars? One that will enhance dynamics, clarity, soundstage depth, etc?

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #7,730 of 8,378
I think you are correct. I think the Bifrost 2 works great with my Jot 2 plus Beyer T1.2. But with the Auteur (already a warm and rich headphone) plus tubes, it's just too much. Any recommendations for a more neutral (but not sterile/analytical) DAC under 1000 dollars? One that will enhance dynamics, clarity, soundstage depth, etc?
You are now exactly where I was a few months ago. The Bifrost I used happily with my 2-channel speaker system was not a good pairing with my tube headphone amp and ZMFs. As a temporary measure I got a ($340) Geshelli J2S with AKM 4493 and Sparkos opamp. In my system it is a huge improvement over the Bifrost, but I'm also still searching for a "better" DAC that will be the right fit. For what it's worth, I'm considering the (R2R) Audio-GD R1-NOS, but am worried it might sound too warm.

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #7,731 of 8,378
You are now exactly where I was a few months ago. The Bifrost I used happily with my 2-channel speaker system was not a good pairing with my tube headphone amp and ZMFs. As a temporary measure I got a ($340) Geshelli J2S with AKM 4493 and Sparkos opamp. In my system it is a huge improvement over the Bifrost, but I'm also still searching for a "better" DAC that will be the right fit. For what it's worth, I'm considering the (R2R) Audio-GD R1-NOS, but am worried it might sound too warm.
This hobby is exhausting sometimes lol. I appreciate the recommendation on the Geshelli J2S, you feel like it's much clearer and dynamic with your Auteur Classic?

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #7,732 of 8,378
This hobby is exhausting sometimes lol. I appreciate the recommendation on the Geshelli J2S, you feel like it's much clearer and dynamic with your Auteur Classic?
It is, compared to my old Bifrost, but it may not compete with other $1,000 DACs.

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #7,734 of 8,378
Makes me wonder if the Topping D90 would be a good fit here.Or the RME ADI-2.
The ADI-2 is a pro-audio device with a huge amount of adjustments available and great for tweaking your preferred parametric settings. The manual adjustments and menus do take time to learn. However, the good news is that RME just released a software interface/dashboard where you can select your preferences all together on a bigger screen and makes things much easier it looks like. It is out for Mac OS now and hopefully a Windows version will be following soon.

It is being mentioned over in the RME ADI-2 thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rme-adi-2-dac-thread.868015/page-378

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #7,735 of 8,378
The ADI-2 is a pro-audio device with a huge amount of adjustments available and great for tweaking your preferred parametric settings. The manual adjustments and menus do take time to learn. However, the good news is that RME just released a software interface/dashboard where you can select your preferences all together on a bigger screen and makes things much easier it looks like. It is out for Mac OS now and hopefully a Windows version will be following soon.

It is being mentioned over in the RME ADI-2 thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rme-adi-2-dac-thread.868015/page-378
Thanks, how would you describe the sound signature to your ears? It looks like another good option here would be the Soekris 1421.

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #7,736 of 8,378
@Nuge, I acquired my ADI-2 a few years ago when they were using the AKM 4490 for the DAC. I think they're using ESS Sabre now. It is mostly neutral by itself with no adjustments but it has excellent parametric EQ options, auto reference, loudness, separate tone controls etc. I lot of users post presets for the ADI-2 with specific headphones, for example:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets/
I have not played around much with the presets. I think it can save up to 20 presets. I just make adjustments on the fly to what sounds good to me.

Jul 17, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #7,739 of 8,378
Yes, that's another one I've heard mentioned. Any experience with it?
I have not heard the Ares specifically but from what I've read it's going to lean warmer as well, being an R2R DAC.

Jul 17, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #7,740 of 8,378
If you're not opposed to a DAC that's not R2R, I think the Chord DACs are supposed to be pretty neutral or might even lean slightly bright right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back