ZMF Auteur Thread
Feb 20, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #7,472 of 8,329

Well I'm sure that both the Classic and OG are great headphones. But they do sound different from each other right? Perhaps not completely different but there are some differences.

Feb 20, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #7,473 of 8,329
Just a small tip for everybody, especially for new people with zmf's. Pad angle is everything to get the best sound out of them.
i just found out that if i put them further up, the pads are really hugging the back of my ears from top to bottom resulting in the best sound ( to my ears ).

After finding the right angle, i bend the headband to get a good amount of pressure at the back bottom part of my ears, zach made a video about it :)

this could be also great to think about it for experienced people as well. especially the angle of the pads, its easy to forget or maybe its just me, i dont know :beyersmile: 2 years into zmf's wearing them at the middle line ( in my picture ) or the bottom line, further down, i never really realised that the back of the pads were not touching my ears well. helps alot to really feel the punch of that great bass, and i can really hear the bass sounds textures, they were a bit cloudy before. i also think that the stage has more cohesion that way, the transients are clearer!

Thats my experience, i would be really curious to know what you guys think about it and if its changing something for you, how did it go :) we all have different ears and that could be different for you i guess :)

Attachments

• thumbnail_auteur position pads.png
    thumbnail_auteur position pads.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #7,474 of 8,329
Well I'm sure that both the Classic and OG are great headphones. But they do sound different from each other right?
The biggest differences to my ears are:
Better and more dramatic staging on the classic
Classic is slightly warmer
Classic has slightly more midbass

Some have said that the mids are better on the OG, but I have not noticed much of a difference in my system.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #7,475 of 8,329
Just a small tip for everybody, especially for new people with zmf's. Pad angle is everything to get the best sound out of them.
i just found out that if i put them further up, the pads are really hugging the back of my ears from top to bottom resulting in the best sound ( to my ears ).

After finding the right angle, i bend the headband to get a good amount of pressure at the back bottom part of my ears, zach made a video about it :)

this could be also great to think about it for experienced people as well. especially the angle of the pads, its easy to forget or maybe its just me, i dont know :beyersmile: 2 years into zmf's wearing them at the middle line ( in my picture ) or the bottom line, further down, i never really realised that the back of the pads were not touching my ears well. helps alot to really feel the punch of that great bass, and i can really hear the bass sounds textures, they were a bit cloudy before. i also think that the stage has more cohesion that way, the transients are clearer!

Thats my experience, i would be really curious to know what you guys think about it and if its changing something for you, how did it go :) we all have different ears and that could be different for you i guess :)
Your Auteur is blue? Damn, that color is amazing for a headphone.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #7,476 of 8,329
Your Auteur is blue? Damn, that color is amazing for a headphone.
:sweat_smile::nerd: my auteur is cocobolo, i totaly forgot to mention that i have a potato cellphone right now and there was a bug with the paint software, it changed all the red tones into blue :thinking: haha

Attachments

• auteur coco classic.jpg
    auteur coco classic.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 0
Feb 20, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #7,477 of 8,329

Something that I do with ZMFs after checking the earpads ‘seam alignment’: when the headphone is on my head, I hold it in place with one hand on the headband; with the other hand, I carefully rotate each pad forward / backward a bit until the fit feels optimum. Then onto 🎼🎶🎵!!!

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #7,478 of 8,329
:sweat_smile::nerd: my auteur is cocobolo, i totaly forgot to mention that i have a potato cellphone right now and there was a bug with the paint software, it changed all the red tones into blue :thinking: haha
"potato cellphone" (laughing)

That cocobolo is pretty fine, even if it isn't blue!

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #7,479 of 8,329
Something that I do with ZMFs after checking the earpads ‘seam alignment’: when the headphone is on my head, I hold it in place with one hand on the headband; with the other hand, I carefully rotate each pad forward / backward a bit until the fit feels optimum. Then onto 🎼🎶🎵!!!
yeah i also did that for micro adjusting the last % needed for MAAAmaaMiiiiAaaa moment :nerd:

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #7,480 of 8,329
"potato cellphone" (laughing)

That cocobolo is pretty fine, even if it isn't blue!
Miles would have liked it even if it were Kind of Blue …… 🤣🤣 …… 🤔 😕 😣 👎 !!

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #7,481 of 8,329
Feb 20, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #7,482 of 8,329

Some have said that the mids are better on the OG, but I have not noticed much of a difference in my system.
I was literally about to post your review. I think you did a great job highlighting the differences. Here it is in case @MacMan31 wants to watch it.

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #7,483 of 8,329
• I am bowled over by the sound HP8 (re)produces. Totally dynamic, expressive, FULL-range (clearest, deepest bass that I have heard from an OTC / OTL tube h/p/a). The MZ3 betters the HP8 on a technical front; but the HP8 has more force, gravitas, heft in music delivery when those count.
• The MZ3 is excellent, with great airiness, detail, depth, soundstage on low-Z headphones in its own right. That is, in my mind, its favoured match.
• As for Woo WA6, I use the 1st Generation: with the 6DE7 sockets. I can employ adapters to permit the use of 6SN7 or 12AT7 tubes. The WA6 sound is greatly affected by the choice of rectifier tube. My favourites are Brimar CV1863 and USAF 596 (with Woo adapter).
• Do not let the “age” of the Icon Audio design put you off. There have been subtle / noticeable improvements over time. It is the quietest OTC tube h/p/a that I have used. No hum! Plus, it takes a 6SN7 pair + a 12AX7 (or 5751 or 12AT7): none of these are esoteric types. To be sure, each category has its ‘holy grail’ members: these will be $$$$, €€€€, ££££ etc 🤷🏻‍♂️.
• The ZMF headphones (and others) sound wondrous when driven by HP8!!
Is that a 5751 windmill getter I’m spotting in your HP8? I recently purchased one for my Kenzie II. Forgive me if I’m misidentified the tube as I‘m a relatively new tube amp owner and still learning the intricacies of tubes and their sonic attributes.

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #7,484 of 8,329

I was literally about to post your review. I think you did a great job highlighting the differences. Here it is in case @MacMan31 wants to watch it.

Thanks for the brief comparison and video review.

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #7,485 of 8,329
Is that a 5751 windmill getter I’m spotting in your HP8? I recently purchased one for my Kenzie II. Forgive me if I’m misidentified the tube as I‘m a relatively new tube amp owner and still learning the intricacies of tubes and their sonic attributes.
Indeed it is! It has a wonderfully clear sound with great extension at both ends of the frequency spectrum. I have been using 5751, 12AT7, ECC81 tubes rather than 12AX7 tubes in HP8. I feel that with lesser tube gain there is more headroom available without sonic compression or potential for circuit overload. Plus, I already have a nice collection of these tubes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back