ZMF Auteur Thread
Feb 5, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #7,441 of 8,329
The mesh is not for physical protection.

That said, I went from (stock) closed mesh to no mesh to ‘open’ radial vented mesh — I prefer that ‘middle’ option over closed mesh or no mesh.
Yeah I found no mesh was a big fatiguing after a little while. I threw on the radial mesh and still loved it! Sticking with that for now :)

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #7,442 of 8,329
Please share some pictures when they come in. The double micas are nice as well. IMHO the triple mica black plates > triple mica grey plates > double mica. Having said that all of them sound great. I've always been a fan of the RCA house sound: warm, smooth, excellent bass, creamy mids, great soundstage, and smooth yet detailed highs.
they look exactly like that :) my potato machine is taking pictures like its the 2000's so it was better like that ^^ received them today :)

Attachments

• RCA 5751 (2).JPG
    RCA 5751 (2).JPG
    674.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 6, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #7,443 of 8,329
they look exactly like that :) my potato machine is taking pictures like its the 2000's so it was better like that ^^ received them today :)
Those are double mica black plates. They are a great sounding tube. Please tell us your impressions of them when you get a chance to hear them.

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #7,444 of 8,329
6DEF5433-02E8-45AF-8633-FDCCB32F86F9.jpeg

L) Auteur original (LTD Stabilised Takwin).
M) Icon Audio HP8 Mk-II Signature.
R) Verite Open (LTD Stabilised Green).

Feb 6, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #7,445 of 8,329
6DEF5433-02E8-45AF-8633-FDCCB32F86F9.jpeg
L) Auteur original (LTD Stabilised Takwin).
M) Icon Audio HP8 Mk-II Signature.
R) Verite Open (LTD Stabilised Green).
How satisfied are you with the icon Audio hp8 compared to your Linear Tube Audio MZ3 (ZOTL) and the Woo Audio Wa6 at the Auteur?
I'm trying to decide between the icon, which is unfortunately a bit older in terms of design and performance, and the Cayin Ha 3A.

Have also snooped in the Icon Threath some is older and almost not quite up to date.

Beatiful Auteur do you have,😉.

Feb 6, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #7,446 of 8,329
How satisfied are you with the icon Audio hp8 compared to your Linear Tube Audio MZ3 (ZOTL) and the Woo Audio Wa6 at the Auteur?
I'm trying to decide between the icon, which is unfortunately a bit older in terms of design and performance, and the Cayin Ha 3A.

Have also snooped in the Icon Threath some is older and almost not quite up to date.

Beatiful Auteur do you have,😉.
• I am bowled over by the sound HP8 (re)produces. Totally dynamic, expressive, FULL-range (clearest, deepest bass that I have heard from an OTC / OTL tube h/p/a). The MZ3 betters the HP8 on a technical front; but the HP8 has more force, gravitas, heft in music delivery when those count.
• The MZ3 is excellent, with great airiness, detail, depth, soundstage on low-Z headphones in its own right. That is, in my mind, its favoured match.
• As for Woo WA6, I use the 1st Generation: with the 6DE7 sockets. I can employ adapters to permit the use of 6SN7 or 12AT7 tubes. The WA6 sound is greatly affected by the choice of rectifier tube. My favourites are Brimar CV1863 and USAF 596 (with Woo adapter).
• Do not let the “age” of the Icon Audio design put you off. There have been subtle / noticeable improvements over time. It is the quietest OTC tube h/p/a that I have used. No hum! Plus, it takes a 6SN7 pair + a 12AX7 (or 5751 or 12AT7): none of these are esoteric types. To be sure, each category has its ‘holy grail’ members: these will be $$$$, €€€€, ££££ etc 🤷🏻‍♂️.
• The ZMF headphones (and others) sound wondrous when driven by HP8!!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #7,447 of 8,329
• I am bowled over by the sound HP8 (re)produces. Totally dynamic, expressive, FULL-range (clearest, deepest bass that I have heard from an OTC / OTL tube h/p/a). The MZ3 betters the HP8 on a technical front; but the HP8 has more force, gravitas, heft in music delivery when those count.
• The MZ3 is excellent, with great airiness, detail, depth, soundstage on low-Z headphones in its own right. That is, in my mind, its favoured match.
• As for Woo WA6, I use the 1st Generation: with the 6DE7 sockets. I can employ adapters to permit the use of 6SN7 or 12AT7 tubes. The WA6 sound is greatly affected by the choice of rectifier tube. My favourites are Brimar CV1863 and USAF 596 (with Woo adapter).
• Do not let the “age” of the Icon Audio design put you off. There have been subtle / noticeable improvements over time. It is the quietest OTC tube h/p/a that I have used. No hum! Plus, it takes a 6SN7 pair + a 12AX7 (or 5751 or 12AT7): none of these are esoteric types. To be sure, each category has its ‘holy grail’ members: these will be $$$$, €€€€, ££££ etc 🤷🏻‍♂️.
• The ZMF headphones (and others) sound wondrous when driven by HP8!!
Thank you for the information.
That helps.
Do you have the signature version or standard version on the HP8?
What I like about the Icon is that it has 6SN7 tubes and I have quite a few of those here from the Feliks Euforia amp I have.
So I would only need a couple of 12Au tubes to get straight into it.
I think that's good, and in the long term it's a good thing from a tube procurement point of view.
Regardless of the tube design and age.

It also sounds good that Icon Audio continues to make improvements even if they are small.

Somehow the Icon seems like the Quicksilver to me.
which is only available in US version and the Icon is the Eu version for Europeans.

The Cayin ha 3a also kind of turns me on, apparently it's not far off from the Euforia amp from a sound perspective.
It would probably annoy me a bit if I had two similar sounding amps, which is why I'm so torn between the Icon and the Cayin.
And I would be annoyed if it was.
The Icon gives the impression of going in a completely different direction from a sonic point of view.

Surprised to hear that the MZ3 tends to work best only on Low Z.
The Woo also sounds interesting where you have with the adapter conversion,reminds me a bit of the Feliks Elise/Euforia where they also respond very well to tube changes.

The Icon seems to me as a small Zmf headphone secret tip somehow.also that it has enough power for other headphones and planar headphones makes a good impression.

Feb 12, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #7,448 of 8,329
I may be biased (I am), but the Auteur Classic + Pendant SE is such a winning combo. The meeting of the Atrium damping system with a Telefunken G73-R opens up a supremely natural sense of space and timbre, with such hard-hitting bass from Zach's biocellulose driver and clarity from Justin's output transformer magic. I want to go to sleep, but I don't want to stop listening!

IMG_7052 2.jpeg

Feb 12, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #7,449 of 8,329
Thank you for the information.
That helps.
Do you have the signature version or standard version on the HP8?
The Signature version without Bluetooth. My HP8 also has SR Purple fuse - as do all my h/p/a.
What I like about the Icon is that it has 6SN7 tubes and I have quite a few of those here.So I would only need a couple of 12Au tubes to get straight into it.
The output may be a little low, the dynamics may be a little timid with a 12AU7 tube (20x gain). I am using 12AT7 (60x gain) and currently 5751 (70x gain: a 12AX7 variant).
Surprised to hear that the MZ3 tends to work best only on Low Z.
That is what I hear when directly comparing high-Z hps (Audeze LCD-4, Senn, ZMF) with low-Z hps (Audeze LCD-X, Focal Clear OG , Grado RS-1 Original). MZ3 has, for an OTL, a low nominal output impedance: 2.0 ohms.

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #7,450 of 8,329
Now that I have been listening to my Auteurs for a month or so, and loving them, I have resigned myself to the notion that I will have to buy the Verite open (which I ordered recently after too many cocktails) and the Atrium, and listen for extended periods to find out if one is my Goldilocks (just right) headphone. Or perhaps one is perfect for jazz while another is my favorite for rock. Can’t imagine keeping all three, but some of you have even more ZMFs than that!

As I sit here listening to Joe Henry’s new album, I am thinking it couldn’t get much better. However, on some music that is not as well recorded, the Auteurs have sounded a bit harsh and I know it is merely conveying the harshness of the recording itself. I have read that the Verite is unforgiving but amazing with well-recorded music. Would the Atrium be more “forgiving” and smooth out poor recordings?

00135025-19AE-4E8E-80FF-AC20F82FCD1C.jpeg

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #7,451 of 8,329
I really need to work on my patience ... ive been trying to sell my Auteur Classic for 1 week but somedays i just Freaking love it... and somedays, i wish i had a Faster and angry sound. The best scenario would be to have a angry boiii to compliment it, something like a great planar or a focal.. I love my AC and i feel like im gonna regret it if i let it go. Its not like i cant afford another headphone, i will be able to in the next months for sure... May the force be with me :nerd:

i added some NOS rca 5751 1960's black plates tubes ( double micas) to my quicksilver not long ago, The stock tubes are really Great and i still use them sometimes, the stock mullards 4004 have a bigger stage and a bit more clarity. the rca's are really sweet sounding and sound is much more focused, like if i zoomed on every instruments/sounds, the stage is a bit smaller but every sound is more detailed and textured, i find the low end is also better, you just feel it more. the overall tone is much better to my ears, really enjoyable pair ^^

Im looking to add a pair of NOS el84, probably some Amperex made in holland ( 1960's).

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #7,452 of 8,329
As I sit here listening to Joe Henry’s new album, I am thinking it couldn’t get much better. However, on some music that is not as well recorded, the Auteurs have sounded a bit harsh and I know it is merely conveying the harshness of the recording itself. I have read that the Verite is unforgiving but amazing with well-recorded music. Would the Atrium be more “forgiving” and smooth out poor recordings?
Au contraire! You already have a one of the more forgiving headphones in the ZMF lineup. I think the VO, like you said, will be less forgiving than the Auteur Classic in the highs, but the Atrium less forgiving in the upper mids. That’s what I’ve found anyway.

The only headphones that are more forgiving of bad recordings in the ZMF lineup are the Aeolus and Atticus IMO (though it’s been a while since I’ve heard the Atticus). The Aeolus are a great complement to the Auteur Classic for me, for times when I just want to get lost in music without worrying so much about picking it apart. It has a more forward sound than the Auteur Classic for sure, and a more noticeable 5khz peak (which can be tamed with the Aeolus lambskin pads), but for me it’s an overall warmer, more forgiving sound.

Of course you should really hear them all for yourself anyway 😉

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #7,453 of 8,329
Im looking to add a pair of NOS el84, probably some Amperex made in holland ( 1960's).
If you can find late 50’s D getter Amperex EL84’s (earliest in production), those have some amazing tone and bass slam.

For me the Auteurs, more than any other ZMF, had a tendency to grow on me over time. Maybe a little bit of burn-in and brain adjustment. Have you tried the Atrium? That might be more to your liking.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #7,454 of 8,329
Now that I have been listening to my Auteurs for a month or so, and loving them, I have resigned myself to the notion that I will have to buy the Verite open (which I ordered recently after too many cocktails) and the Atrium, and listen for extended periods to find out if one is my Goldilocks (just right) headphone. Or perhaps one is perfect for jazz while another is my favorite for rock. Can’t imagine keeping all three, but some of you have even more ZMFs than that!

00135025-19AE-4E8E-80FF-AC20F82FCD1C.jpeg

Hello,

definitely try other tubes from the Nos range.
The ones you have are not the best.
They are just labelled Stanadart Hifi Ps Vane tubes that used to be available.
There is definitely room for improvement, and there are also tubes that can be tamed in the treble range without sacrificing quality.

For example, 6SN7 Linlai ELite tubes are a great pair.
They have a very good resolution, but are tamer in the highs.
Otherwise, take a look at the Icon Audio Threath, where there are also some good suggestions.

The Auteur still works extremely well for me with R2R dacs.
With the Gustard R26 it is a real pleasure to listen to the Feliks Euforia.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #7,455 of 8,329
If you can find late 50’s D getter Amperex EL84’s (earliest in production), those have some amazing tone and bass slam.

For me the Auteurs, more than any other ZMF, had a tendency to grow on me over time. Maybe a little bit of burn-in and brain adjustment. Have you tried the Atrium? That might be more to your liking.
thx for the recommendation, i will look for them :) as a bass-head, i like seeing bass slam in a sentence ^^ yeah, i agree with brain burn-in^^ actually, i really love them but right before i had them, i had the focal clear MG and the speed and slam of them was unreal, not really comparable..unfortunately, that was the only thing i liked about them. i never tried the atrium and im sure i could love them but i like more the idea of having 2 complete opposite sound signature headphones vs 1 totl headphone. i have a feeling that the atrium will still miss the speed i need, i could be wrong, it could be the perfect balance i need? i will never know until i try!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back