ZMF Auteur Thread
Jan 29, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #7,411 of 8,329
Yep the RCA 5751 triple mica BP has been my 12AX7 type of choice for years. It sounds great in every circuit I've tried it in. I'm just glad I bought a good many of them 10-12 years ago because their current prices are šŸ˜².
i dont know if the ones i bought were triple mica :xf_eek: i paid 175$ matched pair, if that can help telling what it is ^^

Jan 29, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #7,412 of 8,329
After a frank conversation with my wife last night where she disagreed with an upgrade from my Woo Audio WA2 to the WA4 (formerly owned by ClaytonSF, now part of his estate), it became clear that four headphones are the limit in our householdā€¦ so getting a low-impedance planar (such as the Caldera) wonā€™t be in the cards.

So it makes sense to upgrade what I have- Iā€™ll use that ā€œloopholeā€. šŸ˜ So thatā€™s my next move, unless moving from an Auteur OG to an Atrium Closed (and not having any open-backs) makes sense. I guess weā€™ll see what the verdict is on soundstage for the Atrium Closed once itā€™s in production!
I think you will like the improvements upgrading to the Auteur Classic. Its an improvement in technicalities across the board while retaining most of the good characteristics of the OG. I think it's especially a good upgrade if you don't have the Atrium as the upgrade pushes the Auteur closer in performance to the Atrium than the Auteur OG imho.

Jan 29, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #7,413 of 8,329
i dont know if the ones i bought were triple mica :xf_eek: i paid 175$ matched pair, if that can help telling what it is ^^
Please share some pictures when they come in. The double micas are nice as well. IMHO the triple mica black plates > triple mica grey plates > double mica. Having said that all of them sound great. I've always been a fan of the RCA house sound: warm, smooth, excellent bass, creamy mids, great soundstage, and smooth yet detailed highs.

Jan 29, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #7,414 of 8,329
Please share some pictures when they come in. The double micas are nice as well. IMHO the triple mica black plates > triple mica grey plates > double mica. Having said that all of them sound great. I've always been a fan of the RCA house sound: warm, smooth, excellent bass, creamy mids, great soundstage, and smooth yet detailed highs.
Sure will do :)
Really happy with the stock tubes as well for now, i was really just curious :) im really enjoying the audio-gd19 dsp with the quicksilver right now, for 250$CAD ( found good deal used ), that audio-gd dac is really a steal. did not expect that much from it. what started as a temporary option while i get some money for a big boi r2r could end up permanent ^^

Attachments

• auteur qs.jpg
    auteur qs.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #7,415 of 8,329
In Tylerā€™s live stream with Zach and Bevin they talked about the Atrium Closed and iirc it is not as big as atrium open, itā€™s more intimate. Not sure where that scales it relative to auteur but just some early $0.02
Thank you- sounds like the Atrium Closed may be more related to the Eikonā€™s intimate soundstage and spacing, in which case an Auteur upgrade would make more senseā€¦ but no hurry, Iā€™ll probably have time to read Atrium Closed reviews before sending my OG in for the upgrade.

Jan 29, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #7,416 of 8,329
I think you will like the improvements upgrading to the Auteur Classic. Its an improvement in technicalities across the board while retaining most of the good characteristics of the OG. I think it's especially a good upgrade if you don't have the Atrium as the upgrade pushes the Auteur closer in performance to the Atrium than the Auteur OG imho.
Thank you! I think Iā€™d enjoy the upgrade as well. Retaining the Auteurā€™s timbre with my OTL WA2 while adding further soundstage detail and other improvements, plus getting the driver warranty is very likely the way to go.

Iā€™d be hard pressed to not have one open-back headphone for when no one else is around, and most likely I wouldnā€™t spend the money for an Atrium given my limited usage of an open-back. Iā€™ve already fine-tuned cabling and other tweaks. The only other (ā€œreasonably pricedā€, so to speak) step up is ponying up for some 5998s to sub in for my Tung-Sol USN 7236sā€¦

Jan 29, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #7,417 of 8,329
Sure will do :)
Really happy with the stock tubes as well for now, i was really just curious :) im really enjoying the audio-gd19 dsp with the quicksilver right now, for 250$CAD ( found good deal used ), that audio-gd dac is really a steal. did not expect that much from it. what started as a temporary option while i get some money for a big boi r2r could end up permanent ^^
You really got a great deal on your Audio GD. Congrats!

Jan 29, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #7,418 of 8,329
Thank you! I think Iā€™d enjoy the upgrade as well. Retaining the Auteurā€™s timbre with my OTL WA2 while adding further soundstage detail and other improvements, plus getting the driver warranty is very likely the way to go.

Iā€™d be hard pressed to not have one open-back headphone for when no one else is around, and most likely I wouldnā€™t spend the money for an Atrium given my limited usage of an open-back. Iā€™ve already fine-tuned cabling and other tweaks. The only other (ā€œreasonably pricedā€, so to speak) step up is ponying up for some 5998s to sub in for my Tung-Sol USN 7236sā€¦
The 5998s are a great upgrade as well. I really enjoy them with my BHCs.

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #7,420 of 8,329
I will, of course, let my ears decide, but these charts on the ZMF site are contradictory when it comes to pads and sound. For Auteur headphones, one shows Universe pads to be brightest, then Auteur middle and Eikon warmest. The other chart shows the opposite. Any consensus out there about which perf lamb pads are brighter and which warmer?

Also, has anyone tried any of the cowhide pads on an Auteur?

67B5F5EB-F240-4994-92F1-E1366C3ABB76.png

535047FB-9BCA-4C72-B1F6-73B62323C50E_1_201_a.jpeg

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #7,421 of 8,329
I will, of course, let my ears decide, but these charts on the ZMF site are contradictory when it comes to pads and sound. For Auteur headphones, one shows Universe pads to be brightest, then Auteur middle and Eikon warmest. The other chart shows the opposite. Any consensus out there about which perf lamb pads are brighter and which warmer?

Also, has anyone tried any of the cowhide pads on an Auteur?
I believe the first pad chart is accurate as far as the Auteur pads go. The Eikon pads are definitely warmer than the Auteur pads. I will let @zach915m confirm that though.

FWIW the Auteur pads just sound right to me on the Auteur compared to the Eikon and Universals. No pad rolling necessary.

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #7,422 of 8,329
I believe the first pad chart is accurate as far as the Auteur pads go. The Eikon pads are definitely warmer than the Auteur pads. I will let @zach915m confirm that though.

FWIW the Auteur pads just sound right to me on the Auteur compared to the Eikon and Universals. No pad rolling necessary.

We definitely need to do an audit of the charts and were just redoing them a bit with the new Caldera pads on them.

But yes Eikon are warmest and Universe are most linear with auteur in the middle. I'll get on the audit of those charts shortly, we were just working on them.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 3, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #7,423 of 8,329
Was there ever an Auteur Classic Upgrade opportunity in Jan, or did I miss it? I've decided it's time to do the thing.

Feb 3, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #7,424 of 8,329
Feb 3, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #7,425 of 8,329

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back