ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 23, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #6,091 of 8,322
Wow, looks like there's going to be a mass Auteur sell off.
Maybe but not sure why. Having the Atrium on hand and planning to buy one, I have zero intention of selling my Auteur.

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #6,093 of 8,322
Maybe but not sure why. Having the Atrium on hand and planning to buy one, I have zero intention of selling my Auteur.
Yeah you've got such a unique Auteur! What would bring you to listen to the Auteur over the Atrium on occasion?

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #6,094 of 8,322
I guess we won't know until we hear the Auteur "Classic".
True, though we should all keep in mind that “different” doesn’t always mean “better”. 😊

I stand by my prior post that with the right components, the “OG” Auteur is awfully close to head-fi Nirvana.

Yes, there will always be innovation and improvement (thanks ZMF!), but we are IMHO well into the realm of diminishing returns. Hence budget vs. the smaller incremental improvements really becomes the barrier.

Aka “do I want the supercar that reaches 0-60 mph (0-100 km/h) in 2.8 seconds, or the one that can do it in 2.6 seconds” dilemma. 🏎🎧

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #6,095 of 8,322
Yeah you've got such a unique Auteur! What would bring you to listen to the Auteur over the Atrium on occasion?
Vocals are even more prominent on the Auteur than the Atrium so I think I'll use them more when I really want to focus on vocals.

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #6,096 of 8,322
Vocals are even more prominent on the Auteur than the Atrium so I think I'll use them more when I really want to focus on vocals.
Nice, vocals are mainly why I use the Auteur as well. Thanks!

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #6,097 of 8,322
Nice, vocals are mainly why I use the Auteur as well. Thanks!
Another way I described it, if you recall your listening to the Verite Open, I experience that as having just so much going on and really being enveloped in this 3d soundscape while the Auteur is a more "traditional" (for lack of a better word) experience. The Atrium sort of splits the difference. It just feels like there is more there on the Atrium and it's got different staging than both. It also sort of splits the difference on details, really closer to the Verite in that regard so I could see in some cases the Auteur still being the more forgiving headphones on bad recordings.

The bass is more present and full and feels like it lingers more giving body to the soundscape while on the Auteur it's more like it comes and goes. The Atrium bass is maybe my favorite aspect of it, while the forward mids is my favorite aspect of the Auteur along with just the ease of the listen. I keep doing some direct comparisons with both today with same suede pads on both out of the TT2 which makes for very easy A/B since it plays 2 headphones at once. The problem is I prefer the Eikon suedes on the Auteur and don't especially like the Auteur ones, while on the Atrium the Auteur suedes may be my favorites. I also love the suede BE2 on the Atrium, but find them a little much (in terms of treble) on the Auteur.

Anyway, just spent some time revisiting my youth with several Joan Jett songs, which are all a bit loud/harsh. I prefer the Auteur, which were a more exciting listen, while the Atrium it felt more like I was at a distance.

Then I spent some time with Bjork's most recent album and on the Auteur her voice is closer to sibilant which is distracting. The treble on the Auteur stands out more than on the Atrium, so overall I think it's going to be the better choice for tracks with sibilance. I think a case can certainly be made for having both headphones, especially for those not enamored with the Verite.

Keep in mind with all of the above I only use suede pads so I'm going to hear things differently than most who have the Atrium in their hands right now, with the suedes being brighter than lambskin equivalents and diffusing some of the bass slam.

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #6,098 of 8,322
Oh, I've got a pair of original run Teak Auteur! Not sure I want to sell mine, as the market might be flooded!

8bkUUuLh.jpg
That is a very handsome headphone!

Mar 23, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #6,100 of 8,322
True, though we should all keep in mind that “different” doesn’t always mean “better”. 😊

I stand by my prior post that with the right components, the “OG” Auteur is awfully close to head-fi Nirvana.
Most of the time there's a major model "upgrade" like this there is a rush of people that sell their old model and then a whole other bunch of people that like the old model better.

Mar 24, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #6,101 of 8,322
How is it so many people are demoing the atrium?!? HOW!!!

really the question is...how is it not me :). My jealousy is shining forth.

As far as selling the auteur for the atrium, that’s a tough call. I’m really going to need quite a few auteur vs auteur classic impressions. Then I’d have to wait for a cocobolo model :).

I don’t allow myself soft woods With my clumsy monkey hands.

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #6,102 of 8,322
I’m really going to need quite a few auteur vs auteur classic impressions.
That's a smart move IMO. Zach is constantly improving his tuning, so there's no telling what the "new classic" is going to sound like. The only real upside to early adoption is that ZMFs hold their value well on the re-sale market, so it's more like renting them if you choose to jump ship.

Mar 27, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #6,103 of 8,322
I’m really hoping there will be some nostalgic ZMF buyers out there that want the original LTD Auteur, African Blackwood. Now that there’s an Auteur Classic and the new Atrium on the horizon, it’s hard to say. I thought I’d sell my Blackwood set really quickly, but they’re still available somehow. If anyone is interested, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Thanks to Chris I have his Blackwood Auteur coming soon:beyersmile:. They will compliment my current DCA Aeon Closed X.

Mar 27, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #6,104 of 8,322
Well I recently got a new/old Wenge Auteur off the classifieds. Should be arriving here in a day or 2. I can't wait!

I have a few amps/dacs to power them with. Bifrost2/Mjolnir1 + Asgard3, Burson Composer 3 + Soloist 3xp and a decware Csp3. I wonder which will sound the best? I need to sell one or 2 of these eventually. I have quite a pile already!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back