ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 13, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #6,031 of 8,329
I owned a Rosson RAD-0 First edition (#22 of 100). It is the best sounding planar-magnetic headphone that I have heard. Powered by the HeadAmp GSX-mini, the RAD-0 was superb+. However, the enjoyment was always short-lived, and at $2600…🤬…because…
I hear you. I'm less sensitive to uncomfortable headphones than many other folks here -- was able to tolerate the RAD-0 for over a year. However, I was never able to get over the '... but damn, I wish these didn't make my head hurt ...' thing.

On the other hand, I also agree with your impression of the sound -- high quality open-back planars indeed.

But if you can't stand wearing them, what's the point?
I've had 3-4 exposures to the RAD-0 at shows, and each time I found the comfort issues unendurable--also unfixable, since that bulging-downward piece of padding is integral to the headband.

IMO it's crazy for this mfr to put out a headphone of this cost with a comfort issue that glaring. And I'm not even addressing head size vs this HP (it's too small for me, but some HPs are). Because that obtrusive padding affects everyone, regardless of head size, it's the main thing I notice about the headphone. So I never had enough head time to figure out the sound...

By comparison, the Auteur (any ZMF headphone) is extremely comfortable, and the exact fit can be readily dialed in.
I don't mean to take over the conversation on the Auteur thread but fixing the Rosson's comfort takes less time than swapping a ZMF pad and looks perfect. Just install the suspension strap and they are all day listens.

Here is some additional information of the suspension strap modification.

https://www.thesoundapprentice.com/2021/11/rosson-audio-design-RAD-0-suspension-strap.html?m=1

@puck is the HeadFi user that makes the suspension strap. He’s very easy to deal with and I highly recommend his system.

RAD-0 destroys every other Planar i've tried in most categories and is easily my top recommendation if you're into the ZMF warmth and euphony but want a Planar.

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #6,032 of 8,329
Finally I can have the first look & touch since they were delivered last September.

AuteurBocote.jpg
Beautiful! Congratulations!

(It seems to me that the matte-silver hardware hardware isn’t used that often in Auteur material combinations, and this is a great example of the silver coloration working GREAT with a gorgeous wood.)

Mar 13, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #6,033 of 8,329
I don't mean to take over the conversation on the Auteur thread but fixing the Rosson's comfort takes less time than swapping a ZMF pad and looks perfect. Just install the suspension strap and they are all day listens.

Here is some additional information of the suspension strap modification.

https://www.thesoundapprentice.com/2021/11/rosson-audio-design-RAD-0-suspension-strap.html?m=1

@puck is the HeadFi user that makes the suspension strap. He’s very easy to deal with and I highly recommend his system.

RAD-0 destroys every other Planar i've tried in most categories and is easily my top recommendation if you're into the ZMF warmth and euphony but want a Planar.
As a card-carrying member of the Big Head club, I feel compelled to point out the flaw in the following statement:

"...fixing the Rosson's comfort takes less time than swapping a ZMF pad and looks perfect. Just install the suspension strap and they are all day listens."​

That downward-facing padding under the headband already made the RAD-0 rather tight for my head vertically. Installing a suspension strap would consume even more vertical space (not a lot, but when you have a big head, it's meaningful).

I'm a BIG fan of high-end planars and would love to give this headphone a real try. But unless that bulge under the headband is somehow removed, the HP just won't fit well enough to make this possible.

(apologies for a post not about the Auteur)

Mar 13, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #6,034 of 8,329
As a card-carrying member of the Big Head club, I feel compelled to point out the flaw in the following statement:

"...fixing the Rosson's comfort takes less time than swapping a ZMF pad and looks perfect. Just install the suspension strap and they are all day listens."​

That downward-facing padding under the headband already made the RAD-0 rather tight for my head vertically. Installing a suspension strap would consume even more vertical space (not a lot, but when you have a big head, it's meaningful).

I'm a BIG fan of high-end planars and would love to give this headphone a real try. But unless that bulge under the headband is somehow removed, the HP just won't fit well enough to make this possible.

(apologies for a post not about the Auteur)
…in effect it is ‘about’ the Auteur since the Auteur does not have the RAD-0 headband problem…

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #6,035 of 8,329
…in effect it is ‘about’ the Auteur since the Auteur does not have the RAD-0 headband problem…
So true. That comment reminds me to give a shout-out to ZMF for designing a most effective, comfortable suspension system that worked wonder with all its dynamics from day-1.

That suspension has been improved incrementally in a couple ways, but all iterations render these rather heavy wooden earcup headphones very comfortable on my large head. I never felt a hot spot or other typical headphone discomfort with any ZMF headphone (currently have 3).

I heard the Auteur repeatedly at CanJam 2018 & 2019 and found it exactly as comfortable (and beautiful) as all the other ZMF dynamics. I never actually owned one, but IMO the Auteur's comfort is interchangeable with any of the other high impedance dynamics--ie, excellent.

Mar 13, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #6,036 of 8,329
So true. That comment reminds me to give a shout-out to ZMF for designing a most effective, comfortable suspension system that worked wonder with all its dynamics from day-1.

That suspension has been improved incrementally in a couple ways, but all iterations render these rather heavy wooden earcup headphones very comfortable on my large head. I never felt a hot spot or other typical headphone discomfort with any ZMF headphone (currently have 3).
Not only that, but ZMF has great added padding options in the Pilot/Co-Pilot pads for a very reasonable price.

I added the Co-Pilot pad to my Auteur to make it even more comfortable than it already was. Now putting on the Auteurs is like sinking into my favorite armchair.

(And that’s without even factoring in the excellent range of ear pads!)

Mar 14, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #6,038 of 8,329
Finally I can have the first look & touch since they were delivered last September.

AuteurBocote.jpg
That is really a beautiful piece of headphone, very, very nice! Congratulations.

Mar 14, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #6,039 of 8,329
Good Day.
May I ask if anyone here has tried the Auteurs with the Vioelectric DHA 226? Hope you guys can share your thoughts. So far I can see very few reviews in the net.
Thank you in advance.
Hi there,
While I have not used the new DHA-226 model, I have the Violectric V200, and I will say it s quite complementary to the Auteur. However, the Feliks Audio Echo with good tubes is an even better choice. 😁 But I usually use the V200 while the tubes warm up, and it sounds very good indeed.

Mar 14, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #6,040 of 8,329
Hi there,
While I have not used the new DHA-226 model, I have the Violectric V200, and I will say it s quite complementary to the Auteur. However, the Feliks Audio Echo with good tubes is an even better choice. 😁 But I usually use the V200 while the tubes warm up, and it sounds very good indeed.
Same here. V200 is wonderful with Auteur (& Aeolus & Atticus & Eikon). The high voltage swing capability in the V200 makes it complementary to high input impedance headphones. Plus the V200 has a touch of warmth without blurring its excellent detail retrieval.

Mar 15, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #6,042 of 8,329
Hi there,
Same here. V200 is wonderful with Auteur (& Aeolus & Atticus & Eikon). The high voltage swing capability in the V200 makes it complementary to high input impedance headphones. Plus the V200 has a touch of warmth without blurring its excellent detail retrieval.

Thank you for your replies. I actually have the Feliks Echo 2 on stock tubes connected to Hugo2. Just toying with the idea of adding a good solid state amp as an alternative (damn that itch :sweat_smile:).
My current cans are the Auteur and the Aeolus.

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #6,043 of 8,329
Mar 18, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #6,044 of 8,329
Mar 18, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #6,045 of 8,329
wonder how different Auteur OG and Auteur Classic will sound like......

and also wonder if Zach will offer existing Auteur owners to upgrade the drivers/damping to Classic spec....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back