ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 13, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #5,131 of 8,456
I really need to bite the bullet and read back through this thread I know. I would say my budget will be sub $2k for the tube amp. I am not a fan of overly colored sound from any of my equipment. I like a piece of the chain that makes me want to revisit all of my music library not just one specific genre. I would say I am more after a quality spacious and holographic sound than the gooey warm sound. The closest thing I have to a tube amp is the Liquid Platinum which is obviously not a true tube amp. And while I much prefer the GS-X Mini over the LP, the LP does offer just a hint more shape to the sound. Hopefully there are some options that provide that stage depth without sacrificing much or any of what I love about the Mini.
If you can find a built Bottlehead Mainline (believe there is one for sale now in the classifieds) you will a get a reference tube amp for a great price. The Mainline is not the most powerful amp, but the sound is clean, clear and sweet. It is holographic, but not overly spacious. However, instrument placement is spot on. Bass is fast and tight, and the midrange is just about perfect. I absolutely love the Mainline and can't recommend it enough. Especially with the Auteur. I am only 2 hrs into my listening with them together but couldn't be happier. I also love the Mainline with my Stellia. Great tube amp!

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #5,132 of 8,456
Here are a couple pics... Loving my Mainline and Auteur. Will post more later...

Attachments

• 20210713_123149.jpg
    20210713_123149.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210713_122957.jpg
    20210713_122957.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 13, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #5,133 of 8,456
Little better pics. On my Salire stands. Hifiman Code X in the background. The Auteur and Code X make a great 1-2 combo in my system. My.closed back is the Stellia. Loving my line-up. The Auteur has completed my stable for the foreseeable future.

Attachments

• 20210713_165046.jpg
    20210713_165046.jpg
    819.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210713_165031.jpg
    20210713_165031.jpg
    909.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210713_165038.jpg
    20210713_165038.jpg
    879.1 KB · Views: 0
Jul 13, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #5,136 of 8,456
Awesome set!

How would you describe the tuning differences between Auteur and Aeolus?

I'm terrible at describing sound differences. If you can afford it, it's worth having both. They each have their strengths and different enough to compliment each other.

Neither is fatiguing, but the Aeolus sounds a little more rounded off, maybe. It's hard to tell because there is definitely a noticeable mid bass bump on the Aeolus that is very addicting.

The Aueteur is definitely more "ZMF Neutral”, with a slightly wider sound stage.

A/B them back and forth and the Aeolus will sound a little thicker and the Auteur will sound a little leaner. Both are great. Use one at a time for awhile and they each sound correct, and addicting.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #5,137 of 8,456
The term "ZMF Neutral" is a great way to describe the Auteur. They have the most pleasantly musical & neutral tuning. I can't get enough. My fun meter is going to "11". Everything just sounds right. I don't find them too lean at all... Although I am not comparing them to the Aeolus. I do have an LCD-4z in house on loan that I have spent the last 4 weeks learning its charms.

The Auteur is not the LCD-4z, which is my favorite headphone, however, the Auteur is great in its own way and on its own terms. It looks and sounds like twice its price.

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #5,138 of 8,456
The term "ZMF Neutral" is a great way to describe the Auteur. They have the most pleasantly musical & neutral tuning. I can't get enough. My fun meter is going to "11". Everything just sounds right. I don't find them too lean at all... Although I am not comparing them to the Aeolus. I do have an LCD-4z in house on loan that I have spent the last 4 weeks learning its charms.

The Auteur is not the LCD-4z, which is my favorite headphone, however, the Auteur is great in its own way and on its own terms. It looks and sounds like twice its price.

The Auteur is not lean, it only sounds so in direct A/B comparison with the Aeolus.

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #5,139 of 8,456
I received an email from ZMF yesterday. My bocote wood has been picked and is in machining….. exciting!

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #5,140 of 8,456
Jul 15, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #5,141 of 8,456
That's a very appealing advertisement for Bocote -- I think I'd go for the black grills as in the picture.

Do you still have your Blackwoods? It'll be interesting to learn if you hear much difference. They're probably pretty close together in terms of hardness (Blackwood a little harder) and density (Bocote more dense?).

I've heard lots of 'wood doesn't make that much difference' statements, including from Zach, but what does he know :)
I had a pair of Teaks and Blackwoods (which I still own) at the same time, and there was definitely a noticeable difference. Teaks were brighter and more airy, and felt much closer to neutral (especially for ZMF's). The Blackwoods have a much more rich, lush romantic sound. Of course there's a much bigger hardness difference compared to Bocote/Blackwoods.

The bass on the Blackwoods is just so satisfying. About as planar like as you can get get out of a dynamic driver. After listening to my Verite Open's for the last several months for my pad review, I've been listening to my BW's for the last week and it's been a real treat. Everything just sound so good from them.

Jul 16, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #5,142 of 8,456
If you can find a built Bottlehead Mainline (believe there is one for sale now in the classifieds) you will a get a reference tube amp for a great price. The Mainline is not the most powerful amp, but the sound is clean, clear and sweet. It is holographic, but not overly spacious. However, instrument placement is spot on. Bass is fast and tight, and the midrange is just about perfect. I absolutely love the Mainline and can't recommend it enough. Especially with the Auteur. I am only 2 hrs into my listening with them together but couldn't be happier. I also love the Mainline with my Stellia. Great tube amp!
There might actually still be a pre-built Mainline for sale in the classifieds on Head-fi (just checked: there are two, one in the UK and one in the US). I was about to buy it, but just passed it up and was glad I did...came upon a Wenge Auteur that I bought instead :) I know it's not the same thing, but I can't wait to hear it on my BH Crack. Glad to hear the synergy is good with the Mainline though! Maybe I'll build one down the road :sunglasses:

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #5,143 of 8,456
There might actually still be a pre-built Mainline for sale in the classifieds on Head-fi (just checked: there are two, one in the UK and one in the US). I was about to buy it, but just passed it up and was glad I did...came upon a Wenge Auteur that I bought instead :) I know it's not the same thing, but I can't wait to hear it on my BH Crack. Glad to hear the synergy is good with the Mainline though! Maybe I'll build one down the road :sunglasses:
Sounds like you scored. Loving my Auteur. Clean and musical. Pacing is really good.. I know most are attracted to that ZMF midbass and musicality, but I prefer the Auteurs tuning. I was the same with his T50 mods. I preferred the Blackwood over the Ori.

I bet the Crack and Auteur will sound fantastic together. Please provide your impressions when you can.

Jul 16, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #5,144 of 8,456
A good move IMO...the old adage "transducers before components" I find to be true. You get more sonic improvement overall with new headphones (assuming they're to your liking) than new amps/DACs. Not that upgrading components can't give a good audio kick in the butt too of course. Enjoy!!

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #5,145 of 8,456
A good move IMO...the old adage "transducers before components" I find to be true. You get more sonic improvement overall with new headphones (assuming they're to your liking) than new amps/DACs. Not that upgrading components can't give a good audio kick in the butt too of course. Enjoy!!
Then there’s the HD600 and 650. On high end equipment oh my goodness do they scale!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back