ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 28, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #5,101 of 8,334
now... is there somewhere inside this huge thread a chart with indication about the main differences, in terms of sounds reproduction, between the different possible woods available?
I've read the page about wood in ZMF site and... ok, nice and interesting... but Teak is not there :thinking:

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #5,102 of 8,334
now... is there somewhere inside this huge thread a chart with indication about the main differences, in terms of sounds reproduction, between the different possible woods available?
I've read the page about wood in ZMF site and... ok, nice and interesting... but Teak is not there :thinking:

Nope, but overall the suggestion is to base your choice on weight and aesthetics (interchangeably as YMMV) first, and the sound differences afterwards, as generally speaking the wood types produce minimal sound differences (per Zach as well).

Jun 28, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #5,103 of 8,334
I don't think there's much more to add beyond what is on their site. I'd just search for Teak hardness and see which woods ZMF does lists are similar. I've been following all the ZMF threads here and on other sites for a couple years and it seems pretty universal that sound differences are minimal to most.

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #5,105 of 8,334
just received mine three days and it has been great
using jot 2 and bifrost 2 atm
Would you tell us ( me ) some more about your Auteurs paired with Bif/Jot.?
Thanks!! Those are my dac-amp and I’m ready to jump and buy the Auteurs, but most of the actual owners talk about how good they sound with tube amps so I don’t know about Jot 2 .

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #5,106 of 8,334
Would you tell us ( me ) some more about your Auteurs paired with Bif/Jot.?
Thanks!! Those are my dac-amp and I’m ready to jump and buy the Auteurs, but most of the actual owners talk about how good they sound with tube amps so I don’t know about Jot 2 .

sry, i am not too good at describing sound too much. the jot does pair well with it to my ears though, a nice full sound. i do have a liquid platinum as well and i alterante between the two currently for use with eikon, auteur and atticus. i might get a feliks amp in the near future

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #5,110 of 8,334
I was wondering how many Auteur owners use EQ for these headphones. I experimented today using Peace to use the suggested Harmon target settings from:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...F Auteur (perforated Auteur lambskin earpads)

My initial impressions were positive, but I would love to hear others who have tried EQ with their Auteurs.

ZMF Auteur (perforated Auteur lambskin earpads)​

Fixed Band EQs​

In case of using fixed band (also called graphic) equalizer, apply preamp of -4.6dB (if available) and set gains manually with these parameters.

Type​
Fc​
Q​
Gain​
Peaking​
31 Hz​
1.41​
4.4 dB​
Peaking​
62 Hz​
1.41​
0.6 dB​
Peaking​
125 Hz​
1.41​
-0.3 dB​
Peaking​
250 Hz​
1.41​
-1.1 dB​
Peaking​
500 Hz​
1.41​
0.5 dB​
Peaking​
1000 Hz​
1.41​
-2.2 dB​
Peaking​
2000 Hz​
1.41​
1.3 dB​
Peaking​
4000 Hz​
1.41​
-1.1 dB​
Peaking​
8000 Hz​
1.41​
3.5 dB​
Peaking​
16000 Hz​
1.41​
-2.1 dB​

Jul 5, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #5,111 of 8,334
I was wondering how many Auteur owners use EQ for these headphones. I experimented today using Peace to use the suggested Harmon target settings from:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle/gras_43ag-7_harman_over-ear_2018/ZMF Auteur (perforated Auteur lambskin earpads)

My initial impressions were positive, but I would love to hear others who have tried EQ with their Auteurs.

ZMF Auteur (perforated Auteur lambskin earpads)​

Fixed Band EQs​

In case of using fixed band (also called graphic) equalizer, apply preamp of -4.6dB (if available) and set gains manually with these parameters.

Type​
Fc​
Q​
Gain​
Peaking​
31 Hz​
1.41​
4.4 dB​
Peaking​
62 Hz​
1.41​
0.6 dB​
Peaking​
125 Hz​
1.41​
-0.3 dB​
Peaking​
250 Hz​
1.41​
-1.1 dB​
Peaking​
500 Hz​
1.41​
0.5 dB​
Peaking​
1000 Hz​
1.41​
-2.2 dB​
Peaking​
2000 Hz​
1.41​
1.3 dB​
Peaking​
4000 Hz​
1.41​
-1.1 dB​
Peaking​
8000 Hz​
1.41​
3.5 dB​
Peaking​
16000 Hz​
1.41​
-2.1 dB​
I just stay away from EQ as a whole. If I don’t like a HP stock sound after brain burn-in and testing with different sources, then it’s for me. I don’t like to bother fixing a HP if I don’t think it sounds fine. I don’t mind other people EQing, it’s just not for me.

Jul 6, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #5,112 of 8,334
I just stay away from EQ as a whole. If I don’t like a HP stock sound after brain burn-in and testing with different sources, then it’s for me. I don’t like to bother fixing a HP if I don’t think it sounds fine. I don’t mind other people EQing, it’s just not for me.
Well, I understand what you are saying and agree that a headphone that is poor without EQ is not for me. That is not the case with the Auteur, I have enjoyed them very much with no EQ. I just want to find out if a bit of tweaking with EQ can raise them to an even higher level :)

Jul 9, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #5,113 of 8,334
I just ordered one of the new Bocote Auteurs to replace my original Blackwood set. This has remained my all-around favorite pair of headphones for quite some time. I have wanted get a brand new pair with a more exotic and warmer-looking wood for awhile. This picture is what sold me, let the waiting game begin!

DSC06313_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Jul 9, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #5,114 of 8,334
I just ordered one of the new Bocote Auteurs to replace my original Blackwood set. This has remained my all-around favorite pair of headphones for quite some time. I have wanted get a brand new pair with a more exotic and warmer-looking wood for awhile. This picture is what sold me, let the waiting game begin!

DSC06313_1024x1024@2x.jpg
That's a very appealing advertisement for Bocote -- I think I'd go for the black grills as in the picture.

Do you still have your Blackwoods? It'll be interesting to learn if you hear much difference. They're probably pretty close together in terms of hardness (Blackwood a little harder) and density (Bocote more dense?).

I've heard lots of 'wood doesn't make that much difference' statements, including from Zach, but what does he know :)

Jul 9, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #5,115 of 8,334
That's a very appealing advertisement for Bocote -- I think I'd go for the black grills as in the picture.

Do you still have your Blackwoods? It'll be interesting to learn if you hear much difference. They're probably pretty close together in terms of hardness (Blackwood a little harder) and density (Bocote more dense?).

I've heard lots of 'wood doesn't make that much difference' statements, including from Zach, but what does he know :)
Yeah I went with the black grills and rods, same as the example pictured.

Yes, I still have the Blackwoods. I did not choose the Bocote wood for a different sound. The Blackwoods are gorgeous under bright light or outside but my basement office is not well lit so they just look black and bland down here. Also, given that this is my daily driver and favorite set of headphones I wanted a brand new set as I purchased the Blackwoods second hand. I will likely sell the Blackwoods once I get the Bocote set in and ensure they sound just as good!

On another note, do any Auteur owners have some recommended tube amp pairings? I listen to my Auteurs out of my GS-X Mini which I absolutely love but I would like to get a nice versatile (good with many other headphones too, like my Utopias) tube amp to compliment the solid state amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back