ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 3, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #4,652 of 8,325
Courier tracking says I should be receiving my Auteurs tomorrow, cant wait!!!

This will be my first ZMF headphone and venture into wood headphones in general.
You are in for a real treat when you get any ZMF headphones ! Enjoy !!

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #4,653 of 8,325
Courier tracking says I should be receiving my Auteurs tomorrow, cant wait!!!

This will be my first ZMF headphone and venture into wood headphones in general.
The matching of the ZMF Auteur with BHC+sb you will likely find to be sublime. I do.

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #4,654 of 8,325
The matching of the ZMF Auteur with BHC+sb you will likely find to be sublime. I do.

Im sure it does, unfortunately I sold my BH Crack recently after doing a head to head vs the Figaro, I decided I could only keep one OTL amp (limited desk space) and favoured the Figaro (it had the wider soundstage and smoother/euphoric sound).

I have heard an Aeolus on the BH Crack previously and it was amazing.

Im sure the Auteur will sound stunning on the Figaro too though.

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #4,655 of 8,325
Im sure it does, unfortunately I sold my BH Crack recently after doing a head to head vs the Figaro, I decided I could only keep one OTL amp (limited desk space) and favoured the Figaro (it had the wider soundstage and smoother/euphoric sound).

I have heard an Aeolus on the BH Crack previously and it was amazing.

Im sure the Auteur will sound stunning on the Figaro too though.
Looking forward to your impressions.

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #4,656 of 8,325
Mar 3, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #4,657 of 8,325
Any ZMF headphone ====> Many ZMF headphones...? 🤔🤞😃...
Here is my favorite thing about owning my ZMF headphones. When I haven't listened to them for a few days and I fire up my tube amp, I start up a playlist of music and the first track starts playing. Within seconds, I get this huge smile on my face in complete awe of just how good they actually sound. I never get tired of that feeling.

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #4,658 of 8,325
Here is my favorite thing about owning my ZMF headphones. When I haven't listened to them for a few days and I fire up my tube amp, I start up a playlist of music and the first track starts playing. Within seconds, I get this huge smile on my face in complete awe of just how good they actually sound. I never get tired of that feeling.
I enjoy listening to the Auteur perf lambskin pads and deciding they’re my favorite, then swapping in the eikon perf suede and deciding they’re my favorite, then returning to lambskin and deciding they’re m....

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #4,659 of 8,325
IT IS HERE!!!!

So far first listening impressions, it is very impressive and going to get all my head time for now.

Quick comparison to my HD800S:

I notice the Auteurs vocals bit more in focus, since details etc. are pushed back a bit, although most of the details are still there just not as obvious (in your face). Definitely much smoother sound, more body to everything, has a slight reverby/echo sound going on too which I like. Some songs with male vocals I notice more of a low growl in the tone which made it more engaging. Has a more natural tone overall as many have said. Also, some pop songs I listen to I definitely could hear more sub bass. Comfort is awesome too considering they are bit weighty (heaviest headphone I have owned). Overall an amazing headphone.

Attachments

• Photo 5-3-21, 10 46 42 am.jpg
    Photo 5-3-21, 10 46 42 am.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #4,660 of 8,325
IT IS HERE!!!!

So far first listening impressions, it is very impressive and going to get all my head time for now.

Quick comparison to my HD800S:

I notice the Auteurs vocals bit more in focus, since details etc. are pushed back a bit, although most of the details are still there just not as obvious (in your face). Definitely much smoother sound, more body to everything, has a slight reverby/echo sound going on too which I like. Some songs with male vocals I notice more of a low growl in the tone which made it more engaging. Has a more natural tone overall as many have said. Also, some pop songs I listen to I definitely could hear more sub bass. Comfort is awesome too considering they are bit weighty (heaviest headphone I have owned). Overall an amazing headphone.
I can't tell, is that the Ambrosia Maple? They are heavy -- consider it weight-training. Made it much easier for me to enjoy RAD-0 & Hedd.

Agree with most of your early impressions. Personally, I wouldn't stress about amps too much. I've heard my Auteur from many different amps, and it's never sounded diminished to me (well, except from Liquid Carbon X). Different yes, poorer, no.

Enjoy! And fix your signature man :)

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #4,661 of 8,325
I can't tell, is that the Ambrosia Maple? They are heavy -- consider it weight-training. Made it much easier for me to enjoy RAD-0 & Hedd.

Agree with most of your early impressions. Personally, I wouldn't stress about amps too much. I've heard my Auteur from many different amps, and it's never sounded diminished to me (well, except from Liquid Carbon X). Different yes, poorer, no.

Enjoy! And fix your signature man :)

These are teak wood.

Honestly been wearing it all morning and comfort is great, amazing the headband system on this. I actually notice the headband pressure more on my HD800S than these Auteurs.

Yes, I agree they sound equally great out of both my SS amp and tube OTL amp, if I want more clarity and aggressive sound I plug it into my CMA12, if I want a more soothing and relaxing sound then I go with my tube.

haha...yeah will fix my signature now. Thanks.

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #4,662 of 8,325
Holy smokes. I wish my local wood dealer had maple like that. I love the contrast of the ambrosia lines, I haven't found them to be as well defined in the wood I've tinkered around with. That's art, right there. Beautiful.
Thanks! It is different from other ambrosia sets I've seen so far. The spalted pattern on the maple really caught my eye.

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #4,663 of 8,325
Well, the auteur pads are bass shy, they have bass, just not a lot of it. Thats where the Eikon pads come in to play. The Eikon perf lamb is the bassiest pad for the auteur, at the cost of soundstage and airy, sparkly highs and vocals. The Eikon perf suede tames down the bass a little but while also bringing back some of the airy of the treble. If you have a warm amp/ tube amp, the Eikon perf suedes are the best.

Its been a long time since I’ve peaked in the Auteur thread but I have the Eikons now. Can you eloborate on what you mean by brings down the bass a little? Do you mean it reduces the quantity from the stock Auteur pads or it’s just a little less than the Eikon perf. lamb? I love my Eikons bass but the sweet mid range and more refined treble on the Auteur is amazing as well. I would have kept the Auteur if the bass had more slam (I had the Teak tho so I know it was more tilted towards treble). Would you say the Eikon perf. suede bring out good bass? When I had my Teaks and swapped in the Eikon perf. lamb I remember them sounding too warm oddly enough and killing the treble performance of the Auteurs.

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #4,664 of 8,325
Its been a long time since I’ve peaked in the Auteur thread but I have the Eikons now. Can you eloborate on what you mean by brings down the bass a little? Do you mean it reduces the quantity from the stock Auteur pads or it’s just a little less than the Eikon perf. lamb? I love my Eikons bass but the sweet mid range and more refined treble on the Auteur is amazing as well. I would have kept the Auteur if the bass had more slam (I had the Teak tho so I know it was more tilted towards treble). Would you say the Eikon perf. suede bring out good bass? When I had my Teaks and swapped in the Eikon perf. lamb I remember them sounding too warm oddly enough and killing the treble performance of the Auteurs.
Compared to the lambskin eikon pads, the suede pads tame the boomyness of the bass a little. It makes the bass a little more controlled and tight. You still get the same amount of punch and slam. Recently, i went back to the Auteur pads because i just rolled some warm sounding tubes in my Elise otl amp. In this way, the tubes provide some of the bass that the auteur pads may lack while the pads providing the magical soundstage and airy treble.

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #4,665 of 8,325
I’m traveling this week so I packed up my Auteur in its seahorse case for the trip- forgot just how good the timbre of this headphone is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back