ZMF Auteur Thread
Feb 25, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #4,606 of 8,322
FYI, I've been burning in an inexpensive tube/SS hybrid amp, the xDuoo TA-20, and am rather impressed. The sound is way better & more nuanced than I could have expected from this inexpensive unit. I had & sold the Loxjie (that buzz wore off fast), but this TA-20 so far is a real sonic winner. I don't have an Auteur, but the VO sure likes the TA-20. Soon I'll try the Aeolus on it, too.

I might end up selling the TA-20 in my never-ending quest for "the next new thing," but I could also say that about most things.
It looks like this is on Drop now. I'm not sure how much more you played with it after this post, but would you say it'd be a decent pair with an Auteur? I know you mentioned using it with your VO, so maybe you can't answer that question perfectly, and that's fine.

I don't actually have my Auteurs yet, but I'm currently using a Magni 2U with my 6XXs. I don't have experience with tubes so I'm a little nervous to switch headphones and amps at the same time, but everyone in this thread seems to strongly recommend tube amps with the ZMFs mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #4,607 of 8,322
It looks like this is on Drop now. I'm not sure how much more you played with it after this post, but would you say it'd be a decent pair with an Auteur? I know you mentioned using it with your VO, so maybe you can't answer that question perfectly, and that's fine.

I don't actually have my Auteurs yet, but I'm currently using a Magni 2U with my 6XXs. I don't have experience with tubes so I'm a little nervous to switch headphones and amps at the same time, but everyone in this thread seems to strongly recommend tube amps with the ZMFs mentioned in this thread.
I think that most Hybrids would pair well with the Auteurs. I used the MD CTH Tube Hybrid (SDAC combo) and I personally enjoyed the way it sounded, although I didn’t use it for long as I upgraded to a Little Dot Mk Viii SE which just gives me the warmness I was looking for. However I really want to try the Pendent SE but I no longer have the funds for that unless I sell my Little Dot.

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #4,608 of 8,322
My Ambrosia Maple Auteur came in today.

5D3_2595.jpg

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #4,609 of 8,322
My Ambrosia Maple Auteur came in today.
Holy smokes. I wish my local wood dealer had maple like that. I love the contrast of the ambrosia lines, I haven't found them to be as well defined in the wood I've tinkered around with. That's art, right there. Beautiful.

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #4,610 of 8,322

I did end up selling the TA-20 soon after this post, and I don't have an Auteur here, so can't help w/that specifically.

But the VO & Aeolus, both of which I heard on the TA-20, sounded very much like themselves, like I expect them to, with no problem getting to moderately loud volumes whenever I wished--which IMO establishes that this little amp can handle high impedance dynamic headphones pretty well.

There's a larger/different xDuoo amp on Drop right now, the TA-30 (all tube amp + a built-in DAC). That looks pretty interesting, too, though I would only use it for the amp, not the DAC.

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #4,613 of 8,322
IMG_0867.jpg

Still loving these. Stabilized VCs will arrive next week; thinking I've got my open/closed setup for the rest of my life (ha as if).

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #4,614 of 8,322
IMG_0867.jpg

Still loving these. Stabilized VCs will arrive next week; thinking I've got my open/closed setup for the rest of my life (ha as if).
You have the high-impedance open/closed hp covered.....Later, it will be the low-impedance open/closed hp + transformer-coupled tube h/p/a (or tube-ss hybrid h/p/a).....

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #4,615 of 8,322
You have the high-impedance open/closed hp covered.....Later, it will be the low-impedance open/closed hp + transformer-coupled tube h/p/a (or tube-ss hybrid h/p/a).....
Please stop speaking the inevitable truth to me

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #4,616 of 8,322
Please stop speaking the inevitable truth to me
I see that you are already on the way with the Liquid Platinum....that takes care of the tube-ss hybrid....

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #4,617 of 8,322
Anyone knows how often ZMF have sales? Interested in the Auteur but would prefer to have some savings since it’s gonna be a blind purchase and I’m not sure if I’ll like the sound signature.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #4,618 of 8,322
Anyone knows how often ZMF have sales? Interested in the Auteur but would prefer to have some savings since it’s gonna be a blind purchase and I’m not sure if I’ll like the sound signature.
Only at the end of the year for ZMF Nuvember to my knowledge. If you want to save money the only way will be buying second hand. And youll save on the wait time.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #4,619 of 8,322
Only at the end of the year for ZMF Nuvember to my knowledge. If you want to save money the only way will be buying second hand. And youll save on the wait time.

Only once a year during BF? Not even during 4th July, Labour Day, Easter, etc? Ouch 😓
Do you remember what % off during the sale?
And usually how much off for B stock?

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #4,620 of 8,322
Only once a year during BF? Not even during 4th July, Labour Day, Easter, etc? Ouch 😓
Do you remember what % off during the sale?
And usually how much off for B stock?
Typically $150-300 that I've seen, but sometimes that is off the price of the Limited sets. I think I've seen a couple Verite options that were more like $400 off, and I scored a couple years ago with a single Auteur was $400 off. My Eikon was $300, Aeolus $170 off. If you're unsure and don't want to wait nearly a year, just buy one used and if you love it then wait for a new one in November. You'll likely be able to sell it for nearly what you paid if you don't have it long and it's in good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back