ZMF Auteur Thread
Feb 1, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #4,486 of 8,342
Hello guys I've been using Auteur for some time (pads are perforated auteur lambskin). I like them with acoustic/folk/blues/jaz type of music. But from time to time they lack a bit of clarity in low mid/bass area - maybe not clarity per se but things seem a bit congested not as fast as I would like them to be. It's even more so in classical music during some of the intense passages.
And I'm wondering if any pad change could help to bring a bit more clarity in this low mid/bass area ? By clarity I don't want to make them brighter or shifting frequency response in any way.
I've been thinking about Auteur perforated suede pads, is it good choice ?

ps. I have other pads I think they are perforated lambskin eikon - and I prefer auteur pads.
I was finding Auteur lambskin pads a bit bass-light as well after a year or so of steady use, and rather than moving to a different pad I simply replaced them. Don't know if it's due to better seal or some other factor but very content now wit the new Auteur lambskin pads.

And don't forget it may be other components of your chain producing the low-end congestion. Earlier this week I rolled some wonderful tubes into my amp. (Feliks Elise, GEC KT88 powers / Sylvania VT-107A drivers). Listening to the live stream below (and the accompanying 24 bit album "Force Majeure")) is the best bass I've ever heard from Auteur: tight yet tuneful, perfect quantity / great quality, slam with finesse! Not too shabby on the harp's sweet mids and clarion highs either. Great marriage of gear and music!

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #4,487 of 8,342
First off, I truly love music through the Auteur (limba) which was purchased in the past November sale. I have been using the perforated pads and rotate slightly each pad in the earcup, while wearing the Auteur, to get the “best” fit and orientation of the pad, as music is playing. To paraphrase the defense attorney Johnnie Cochran: if the headphones fit, you just don’t quit. If the sound is right, you’re up all night...

Feb 1, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #4,489 of 8,342
I was finding Auteur lambskin pads a bit bass-light as well after a year or so of steady use, and rather than moving to a different pad I simply replaced them. Don't know if it's due to better seal or some other factor but very content now wit the new Auteur lambskin pads.

And don't forget it may be other components of your chain producing the low-end congestion. Earlier this week I rolled some wonderful tubes into my amp. (Feliks Elise, GEC KT88 powers / Sylvania VT-107A drivers). Listening to the live stream below (and the accompanying 24 bit album "Force Majeure")) is the best bass I've ever heard from Auteur: tight yet tuneful, perfect quantity / great quality, slam with finesse! Not too shabby on the harp's sweet mids and clarion highs either. Great marriage of gear and music!

I'm sure it's not due to my source. I'll probably try universal pads. It's similar congestion/muddiness that can be heard on hd600 but of course not to the extent.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #4,490 of 8,342
Good gravy these sound amazing. They adore my LP with Amperex Bugle Boy tubes.

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #4,491 of 8,342
Posting this here to hopefully get some advice based upon people who own the Auteur:

I very recently got a pair of Hifiman Ananda and really love them, especially their sound signature and how balanced and clear everything sounds.

However, I do have the upgrade bug and was thinking of getting the ZMF Aeolus or Auteur. If I get an upgrade, I'd prefer something different in sound signature than the Anandas so that my Anandas can still fill a role rather than being redundant. I'm looking for a soung signature that is similar to the Ananda but warmer, with a more full-bodied sound in the lows and mids. Something that feels rich while still having clarity and image separation. Are the Aeolus or Auteurs the right way to go, perhaps with a pad swap, or should I look elsewhere? A part of my heart tells me to get the ZMFs, and another tells me to be satisfied with the Anandas and stop chasing the dragon.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #4,492 of 8,342
I'm pretty sure either of the ZMFs would be complimentary enough to the Ananda IMO. Your description of:
similar to the Ananda but warmer, with a more full-bodied sound in the lows and mids. Something that feels rich while still having clarity and image separation.
Would definitely apply to either the Auteur or Eikon with Aeolus being more full in the mid-bass & Auteur more sub-bass focused. Both headphones I think are more full bodied overall, but I imagine the Aeolus would be the more of a contrast if that's what you're looking for. Keep in mind I have only a passing familiarity with the Auteur and @Pharmaboy 's HEX V2 (in the same family the Ananda) but I'm pretty sure I'm not steering you off a cliff.
A part of my heart tells me to get the ZMFs, and another tells me to be satisfied with the Anandas and stop chasing the dragon.
Of course that is just as valid an option, but only you can determine how severe a case of upgraditis you have...good luck!!

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #4,493 of 8,342

That's a gorgeous piece of music...thank you!!

Feb 1, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #4,494 of 8,342
Posting this here to hopefully get some advice based upon people who own the Auteur:

I very recently got a pair of Hifiman Ananda and really love them, especially their sound signature and how balanced and clear everything sounds.

However, I do have the upgrade bug and was thinking of getting the ZMF Aeolus or Auteur. If I get an upgrade, I'd prefer something different in sound signature than the Anandas so that my Anandas can still fill a role rather than being redundant. I'm looking for a soung signature that is similar to the Ananda but warmer, with a more full-bodied sound in the lows and mids. Something that feels rich while still having clarity and image separation. Are the Aeolus or Auteurs the right way to go, perhaps with a pad swap, or should I look elsewhere? A part of my heart tells me to get the ZMFs, and another tells me to be satisfied with the Anandas and stop chasing the dragon.

I have the Ananda and Auteur, also briefly owned the Aeolus.

I'm looking for a soung signature that is similar to the Ananda but warmer, with a more full-bodied sound in the lows and mids. Something that feels rich while still having clarity and image separation.

That is pretty much how I would describe the Auteur when compared to the Ananda.

The Aeolus is drastically different, to the point where I think there's a big chance it's too warm for your liking if you enjoy the Ananda's that much, at least it was for me. Unless you know you want the biggest contrast you can get.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #4,495 of 8,342
20210122_142247.jpg

I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to compare two Auteur's, one in Blackwood and one in Silk. Right off the bat, the blackwood is noticeably heavier in the hand. On the head I don't notice it too much unless I move/turn my head quickly.

Listening impressions... they are very, very similar. The only thing I can immediately pick up on that differs between the two is the perception of a slightly larger stage on the BW, which I think can likely be attributed to the snappier notes with quick transients and faster decay the denser wood provides. I think I am hearing bass notes especially last a touch longer on the Silk. This maybe gives the sense of a slightly more intimate sound with less space and air between instruments since the notes seem to have a quicker, shorter decay on the BW. After a bit more listening, I would say the BW Auteur has a bit more bass impact, with quicker hitting notes. Bass drum hits seem to appear out of nowhere and disappear just as fast. The notes are there, then they are not. In contrast, on the Silk Auteur bass notes seem to be a tad slower with more decay, giving the perception that they last a touch longer and this results in a perceived overall slightly bassier, warmer tonality. I detect no notable difference in treble presentation between the two.

Now, I talk about these things like they are obvious and easy to discern, but in reality, the tonality of these two woods is extremely similar. This is still an Auteur regardless of wood. Expectation bias may be at play as well since it was very difficult to even detect the perceived sonic differences noted above. They are that subtle to my ears. Another thing to keep in mind is I am comparing the lightest/softest wood ZMF offers to the densest/hardest wood on the Janka scale, so you might expect the tonality differences between these two woods on the opposite ends of the spectrum to be night and day. For better or worse, that is simply not the case to my ears.

So, after this little experiment, I have learned I may be in rare company as I think I slightly prefer the slower decay of the Silk to the quicker transients of the Blackwood for my listening preferences. Not to mention the fact that for comfort, the Silk absolutely slays the BW as the BW is noticeably heavier on the head. This isn't so bad when your head is stationary, but as soon as I move or turn my head, I can definitely feel the extra weight.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts as I am sure many of you may be wondering how the tonality imparted by different wood compares. I am only one data point, but I'd say sticking to Zach's recommendation to choose wood based primarily on aesthetics rather than perceived differences in tonality is a wise choice. I'm not stating differences don't exist, they just aren't as night and day as going from a lighter wood to a darker wood aesthetically.

Thanks for an epic post on a topic often discussed here...

Feb 1, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #4,496 of 8,342

AEOLUS!

Feb 1, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #4,497 of 8,342
Anyone running some EQ on the Autuer?

Care to share
I added a 1dB bass shelf, with another 1dB around 80 Hz to give it a little bit of a midbass boost. I also did very slight -1dB 5.0Q cuts at 4K, 6K, and 10K per metal571's recommendation on his youtube review. The Auteur, like the Aeolus, doesn't really need much in terms of EQ. They're tuned very well already.

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #4,498 of 8,342

Not having heard the Ananda, but having had the Edition XX for a while, which is in the same family, and some reviewers found similar, I'd think the Aeolus is more what you're looking for. The Aeolus is very changeable with pads too. The Verite or BE-2 pads make it more neutral, and I found with the suede BE-2 pads they were similar to the Verite, though less resolving and not as large of a soundstage or 3D-ness.

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #4,499 of 8,342
This is off the ZMF website. It gives you an idea how the Aeolus and Auteur Compare depending on pads. There’s obviously a lot of overlap.

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmfpads

I think the biggest difference is in the drivers- The Auteur uses a bio-cellulose driver which is smooth and euphonic with (IMHO) great imaging. The Aeolus uses a TPE driver which I think is a little faster and perhaps closer to a planar in that sense.

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #4,500 of 8,342
IMG_0633.jpeg

Better image of the limited almond Auteurs from ZMF November

Users who are viewing this thread

Back