ZMF Auteur Thread
Jan 3, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #4,396 of 8,329
Hey guys! I promised some photos of my setup with the wenge Auteur on the wenge salire but didn't get around to it until now. Just wanted to share!

I'm probably ~50 hours of music through these so still definitely within the burn-in period I would say. Truthfully, I don't notice a difference in sound between when I first received them and now, which isn't a bad thing because to my ears they are great. I absolutely love the cans and enthusiastically recommend them.

Hope everyone had a happy holiday and wishing everyone a healthy new year!

Attachments

• IMG_4756.jpg
    IMG_4756.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4752-2.jpg
    IMG_4752-2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4760-2.jpg
    IMG_4760-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 3, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #4,397 of 8,329
Hey guys! I promised some photos of my setup with the wenge Auteur on the wenge salire but didn't get around to it until now. Just wanted to share!

I'm probably ~50 hours of music through these so still definitely within the burn-in period I would say. Truthfully, I don't notice a difference in sound between when I first received them and now, which isn't a bad thing because to my ears they are great. I absolutely love the cans and enthusiastically recommend them.

Hope everyone had a happy holiday and wishing everyone a healthy new year!
I almost pulled the trigger on a wenge, but a cocobolo popped up during ZMF November and couldn’t resist. Yours looks beautiful in steel!

How’s the sound out of the Valhalla?

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #4,398 of 8,329
I almost pulled the trigger on a wenge, but a cocobolo popped up during ZMF November and couldn’t resist. Yours looks beautiful in steel!

How’s the sound out of the Valhalla?

Really, really nice. I wouldn’t say I’m an authority on the topic yet given this is the most high end gear I’ve ever had. To me the Bifrost opened up the soundstage vs. the Modi. The Valhalla to my understanding is a pretty neutral tube amp. I haven’t had experience with any other tube amps, and haven’t rolled the tubes on my Valhalla.

Straight stock, I think the Valhalla adds a bit more punch and clarity over the Magni I had. Overall the sound out of my chain is great. The lows are tight and punchy, mids clear and present, and highs that are fun but not fatiguing.

When the time comes for conventions and meets again, I’m eager to hear what the auteurs can do on a nicer amp than my Valhalla. But for the price, I’m extremely pleased. My unit in particular is great, no buzz or noise floor whatsoever.

Jan 3, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #4,400 of 8,329
The black cloth/filter behind the external grill detached a little from the grill on one of my Auteur cups.
Is the cloth glued to the grill? Is there an easy way to put it back in place without tearing down the entire headphone?
Thanks!

Jan 3, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #4,401 of 8,329
I thought about getting the Valhalla at one point, but decided to try something cheaper to begin with. I tried the Loxjie P20 hybrid amp, and while I did like the sound, it sounded too much like SS. I'm looking forward to receiving the Feliks Audio Elise this week to try with the Auteur and Aeolus.
Great call, @swervderv, Elise --> Auteur has been my daily setup for the last 1 1/2 years and has been an absolute joy / match made in heaven. Pack a lunch for the rabbit hole journey if you like to roll tubes, and both the Elise and Euforia forums contain a wealth of great information if you haven't already checked them out.

Jan 3, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #4,402 of 8,329
Great call, @swervderv, Elise --> Auteur has been my daily setup for the last 1 1/2 years and has been an absolute joy / match made in heaven. Pack a lunch for the rabbit hole journey if you like to roll tubes, and both the Elise and Euforia forums contain a wealth of great information if you haven't already checked them out.
Hi @LoryWiv, I've been doing a lot of reading in those forums. Some of the highly regarded tubes I've seen on there are very expensive and/or extremely rare, but will definitely be considered when I decide to roll tubes. The Elise I purchased includes the Euforia PSVane CV-181 MkII Gold driver tubes, so hopefully that will hold me over a while!

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #4,403 of 8,329
Hi @LoryWiv, I've been doing a lot of reading in those forums. Some of the highly regarded tubes I've seen on there are very expensive and/or extremely rare, but will definitely be considered when I decide to roll tubes. The Elise I purchased includes the Euforia PSVane CV-181 MkII Gold driver tubes, so hopefully that will hold me over a while!
Those pavane gold tubes are awesome. I have a pair myself and I really like them. However they are a little weird sounding at first. I heard that you need at least 200 hours of burn in before they settle. So far I have about 100 hours in and they sound a lot better than when I first got them. I actually burnt them in with my Auteur and the highs really settled in with my those cans.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #4,405 of 8,329
How are these for classical music? Compared to what I consider to be amazing at classical music, the Hifiman Anandas.
I haven't heard Ananda but use Auteur primarily for classical music, very satisfied.

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #4,406 of 8,329
I thought about getting the Valhalla at one point, but decided to try something cheaper to begin with. I tried the Loxjie P20 hybrid amp, and while I did like the sound, it sounded too much like SS. I'm looking forward to receiving the Feliks Audio Elise this week to try with the Auteur and Aeolus.

FYI, I've been burning in an inexpensive tube/SS hybrid amp, the xDuoo TA-20, and am rather impressed. The sound is way better & more nuanced than I could have expected from this inexpensive unit. I had & sold the Loxjie (that buzz wore off fast), but this TA-20 so far is a real sonic winner. I don't have an Auteur, but the VO sure likes the TA-20. Soon I'll try the Aeolus on it, too.

I might end up selling the TA-20 in my never-ending quest for "the next new thing," but I could also say that about most things.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #4,407 of 8,329
How are these for classical music? Compared to what I consider to be amazing at classical music, the Hifiman Anandas.
they're very good for classical as they're mostly neutral, with good resolution, and great staging. if you listen analytically to break down every aspect of the sound, and want to easily identify all the components of the mix, i'd suggest the Focal Clear. it's of similar tuning, though slightly cooler sounding, but one ups the Auteur in resolution. i find it's about on par with the HD800 for really picking apart what i'm listening to. that being said, i think the Auteur is much more engaging and musical sounding, and i just enjoy listening to them more for pleasure. they also stage much better. the Clear has a very intimate soundstage, with good but not great dimensional placement. The Auteur stage is both wider and more three dimensional. you get a better sense of space and spatial placement with it, imo. but it more naturally integrates all the elements of the mix, so that they don't stand out individually, which makes it a bit tougher to analyze. don't get me wrong though, the Auteur has plenty of resolution. just giving an alternative if you're listening style leans heavily into analytical.

Jan 4, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #4,408 of 8,329
they're very good for classical as they're mostly neutral, with good resolution, and great staging. if you listen analytically to break down every aspect of the sound, and want to easily identify all the components of the mix, i'd suggest the Focal Clear. it's of similar tuning, though slightly cooler sounding, but one ups the Auteur in resolution. i find it's about on par with the HD800 for really picking apart what i'm listening to. that being said, i think the Auteur is much more engaging and musical sounding, and i just enjoy listening to them more for pleasure. they also stage much better. the Clear has a very intimate soundstage, with good but not great dimensional placement. The Auteur stage is both wider and more three dimensional. you get a better sense of space and spatial placement with it, imo. but it more naturally integrates all the elements of the mix, so that they don't stand out individually, which makes it a bit tougher to analyze. don't get me wrong though, the Auteur has plenty of resolution. just giving an alternative if you're listening style leans heavily into analytical.

I also have the Audeze LCD-2Fs, which are still within return window. If anyone can compare them to that by any chance, I am also curious how it competes for clarity and resolution?

Jan 4, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #4,409 of 8,329
I also have the Audeze LCD-2Fs, which are still within return window. If anyone can compare them to that by any chance, I am also curious how it competes for clarity and resolution?

It’s been a long time since I’ve listened to a pair of LCD2Fs, but from what I remember, the LCDs are darker (less treble), less detailed and less dynamic, but faster on transients. The Auteur can be made more or less dark depending on pad choice, so something to consider if you like a darker sound. My personal preference, irrespective of the technical merits, would be the Auteur. It has a wonderful tone that is very low fatigue and yet allows you to look pretty deep into the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back