ZMF Auteur Thread
Sep 1, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #3,976 of 8,456
Beatiful Auteur @Sschaffer24. I've used Auteur as daily driver for well over a year and every time I use another HF I am reminded of just how great they are as all arounders. I think it's the tonality that keeps me coming back, so musical, never showy, a hint of warmth but always tasteful. They may not be the last word in speed or resolution (I'm sure Verites are more so) but possess such lovely mids and overall tonal balance across the frequencies. I am interested in Verite closed but in no rush, and hope you get great joy from your Auteurs as I have.

I'm personally hoping to experience the exact same thing once I have these. I can't wait to be able to check out the wood grain in person as I feel the Padauk is going to be a very impressive wood in person. Overall I am definitely very excited to get my hands on these!

Does anyone here have experience with the Auteur on Ray Samuels the Raptor and Bifrost 2? I purchased the amp/headphones from the same seller and need to lock down one of these bifrosts as I hear this is a fantastic pairing all the way around.

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #3,977 of 8,456
My Auteur came on Thurs. Stock maple with brass. Really looks great in person.

My first ZMF anything, and my third crazy expensive phone after the Arya and CFA Solaris 2020.

Initial listening is positive, which is good, as usually if I don't like the sound of a piece of gear within literally the first 10 to 30 seconds, I'm not going to ever really like it no matter what I do (change the gear in the chain, EQ, pad/tip rolling, psychological burn-in, whatever).

I need a lot more listening with different amps, but tentatively I'm impressed enough to think that my Arya is headed for the door and I'm already interested in the Verite and possibly the Aeolus (not better, just different!) to compare and keep which one (or two, or three!) I like the best.

But for now, just enjoying getting to know the Auteur... :gs1000smile:

Edit: 3 terms come to mind with some critical listening - smoothness, cohesion, and realism.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #3,978 of 8,456
Hey people! I'm not a regular on here but I could really use some advice from people who've heard the Auteur and Verite.

I'm a huge HD650 lover. I don't like the HD600 due to some coldness and shoutiness I'd get with it on certain tracks. The 650 for me smoothes out the treble, pushes vocals forward, has a bass boost, and I find that sort of lush and velvety rich sound to be super addictive.

I want another open back pair to compliment my HD650 but I do want it to be a significant step up. Initially, I thought the Meze Empyrean would do this for me but I found the bass to be too bloated and a bit muddy. Maybe I just prefer dynamic slam over planar slam. I'm a bit of a Sennheiser fangirl so I do have the 800S but find them a bit cold and fatiguing. Totally in the mood for that sometimes but also want something more laid back. Detail retrieval is not something that has to be Utopia or LCD-4 level because that often comes with listening fatigue which I want to avoid. I do want a warm and dark headphone that just feels indulgent and has forward vocals that just sound really present.

After lots of research, I think that the Auteur beats out the Verite in this category, but it's so odd to look at reviews for either because many people make it seem like the Auteur and Verite could both be what I'm looking for. I suspect that the endless array of pad choices for all ZMF models allows you to tweak the sound signature until you get what you want, but, even that has my mind spinning. So if someone does recommend the Auteur over the Verite to fit the bill of what I describe, which pads are you guys using that bring it closer to that lush and warm sound?

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #3,979 of 8,456
Hey people! I'm not a regular on here but I could really use some advice from people who've heard the Auteur and Verite.

I'm a huge HD650 lover. I don't like the HD600 due to some coldness and shoutiness I'd get with it on certain tracks. The 650 for me smoothes out the treble, pushes vocals forward, has a bass boost, and I find that sort of lush and velvety rich sound to be super addictive.

I want another open back pair to compliment my HD650 but I do want it to be a significant step up. Initially, I thought the Meze Empyrean would do this for me but I found the bass to be too bloated and a bit muddy. Maybe I just prefer dynamic slam over planar slam. I'm a bit of a Sennheiser fangirl so I do have the 800S but find them a bit cold and fatiguing. Totally in the mood for that sometimes but also want something more laid back. Detail retrieval is not something that has to be Utopia or LCD-4 level because that often comes with listening fatigue which I want to avoid. I do want a warm and dark headphone that just feels indulgent and has forward vocals that just sound really present.

After lots of research, I think that the Auteur beats out the Verite in this category, but it's so odd to look at reviews for either because many people make it seem like the Auteur and Verite could both be what I'm looking for. I suspect that the endless array of pad choices for all ZMF models allows you to tweak the sound signature until you get what you want, but, even that has my mind spinning. So if someone does recommend the Auteur over the Verite to fit the bill of what I describe, which pads are you guys using that bring it closer to that lush and warm sound?

I own the Atticus and Auteur, and have listened to the remainder of the ZMF stable. I also owned the HD650 and various headphones of similar sound profile.

I think you should take a closer look at the Aeolus, actually, than either the Verite or the Auteur. I think the Verite will get you closer to what you want than the Auteur will, but the Aeolus is likely the best fit for a true linear progression of the HD650 sound signature.

If you do go the Auteur route, the Eikon pads may prove to be the best fit for what you are looking for, although the bass might be a bit too bloomy for you.

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #3,980 of 8,456

I had the exact same reaction to Empyrean.

I don't disagree with @ScornDefeat re: Aeolus but like the suggestion of Auteur rolling the Eikon pads. I prefer the more neutral Auteur pads, but found bass from Auteur w/ Eikon pads more acceptable than from Empyrean. I also think if you go for Auteur that you should look for one in a softer wood, say Teak.

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #3,981 of 8,456
Hi all, brand new here to Head-fi. Just ordered my Auteurs over the weekend! Will be coming from a 6XX, and purchased the Auteur solely based off of reviews and confidence in Zach and ZMF as a whole.

Super excited! I plan to run them from my Modi 3 and adding a Valhalla 2. Has anyone done similar? Am I holding them back in any way with that setup?

This is going to be a VERY long 5-10 week wait!

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #3,982 of 8,456
I was going to suggest Aeolus too, or even Atticus. That's probably the way to go if warm/dark is what you're wanting. I have them all except the VC and Eikon, with VC arriving this week. The Auteur is the most neutral, but it's up there with the Verite open for me. I have the 800 SDR, which isn't quite the S. When I go from the Auteur to the 800 it feels like much of my music is missing, which surprised me. Doesn't have the amount of detail or width of soundstage, but I don't miss it.

I wouldn't call any of the ZMFs laid back. They're all quite detailed, but the Verites are hyper-detailed and demand attention more than the others, much as the 800 series do. They also don't play as well with poorly recorded music, again much as the 800. If I had to, I'd say the Atticus is the closest to "laid back" but it's really more lush and warm.

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #3,983 of 8,456

I've heard the Verite Open at length in my system; heard the Auteur a number of times at shows & once IMS; own a heavily modded HD650 I compared at length vs a stock HD650; and am a past owner of the Empyrean. A few reactions to your post:
  • I, too, am a fan of the HD650. It combines relatively high resolution w/a merciful, ear-friendly tuning and detailed, open midrange. It's very easy to see why this design is still a standby in so many systems after all these years.
  • I, too, found the bass of the Empyrean less than stellar (though this HP is IMO a visually arresting example of modern design). I'm a huge fan of planar bass & planar sound in general, but impactful bass is not the Empyrean's strong suit.
I may be the wrong person to advise you because I never really got anywhere with the Auteur. It's a lovely headphone (all the ZMF dynamics are gorgeous), but the sound never locked in with me. But if the HD650's tuning is your reference, I see 2 other ZMF dynamics that would take you to a higher level:
  • The Verite Open w/Verite pads is a relatively close match to the tuning of the HD650. It has perhaps the most resolution & detail of any headphone I've heard (definitely more than the above-average resolving HD650), but conveys all that detail in a very musical, ear-friendly way. I'm told the perforated universe pads bring out even more bass on the VO, though I never tried that (I thought the bass was excellent w/stock pads, if not really in bass-head territory). The midrange is the star in both the HD650 & Verite.
  • The Aeolus w/Verite pads is also a relatively close match to the tuning of the HD650. IMO this headphone takes the best things about the HD650 and pushes them into reference territory. The Aeolus w/Verite pads has more resolution than the HD650, mainly because of its better, more detailed, more dynamic bass & treble. The Aeolus is more comfortable than the HD650, and for lack of a better word, definitely more fun.
So I'm with @ScornDefeat--I think you should consider the Aeolus. Good as it is with Verite pads, when you switch to the perforated universe suede pads (my favorite), the Aeolus takes everything even higher.

I think you'll go far in this hobby using the HD650 as your sonic reference.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #3,984 of 8,456

I know you are probably looking at open back headphones, but don't ignore the Verite Closed.

The Auteur and VC are my favorites, and I too love the HD650.

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #3,985 of 8,456
Why choose? Collect them all. :) I am up to four so far. Just missing the Eikon & VC I believe.
(edited for detail)
IMG_20200823_114711.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #3,986 of 8,456
Why choose? Collect them all. :) I am up to four so far. Just missing the Eikon & VC I believe.
(edited for detail)
IMG_20200823_114711.jpg

I also have four; Ori, Auteur, Eikon and Atticus.

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #3,987 of 8,456
(edited for detail)
Same 4 here with a VC arriving any day now. May eventually sell my Aeolus for an Eikon or the VO & Aeolus for an LTD VO.

Sep 15, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #3,988 of 8,456
Anyone hav any insight into a good signal chain for less than $500 or so? Right now I run my 6XX through a Modi 3/Magni Heresy. I initially planned to keep the Modi and upgrade the Magni to a Valhalla, but wanted to get opinions on what Auteur owners are actually using.

thanks!

Sep 15, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #3,989 of 8,456
Anyone hav any insight into a good signal chain for less than $500 or so? Right now I run my 6XX through a Modi 3/Magni Heresy. I initially planned to keep the Modi and upgrade the Magni to a Valhalla, but wanted to get opinions on what Auteur owners are actually using.

thanks!

For under $500, my JDS Labs EL II stack works.....but I will admit, the Auteur absolutely and noticeably improves through my Chord Qutest (can be found used for around $1,200) / ampsandsound/ZMF Pendant tube amp (can be found used for around $1,500) stack.

If you can stretch to around $800-1,000, any generic AKM-based DAC (Schiit stuff for around $100-200) / Feliks Echo (around $600) would probably be damn near as good as my Qutest/Pendant stack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back