ZMF Auteur Thread
Sep 27, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #2,417 of 8,456
Apologies, I thought you were referencing the photo. I'll get back in my box now :)
get back to your jethro tull!! :)

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #2,418 of 8,456
get back to your jethro tull!! :)
Hehe - busy working my way through a SoundProLab demo disc actually. Whenever I'm having doubts about the quality of my system I put one of these on to remind myself that when it's mastered properly, my system delivers!

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #2,419 of 8,456
Hey guys :)

Kinda new to headphones, been primarily using iems thus far, but think i wanna get into them.

If anyone is able to help me out, looking for a pair of headphones that has good non-recessed mids, vocals clear and upfront, bass not as important but pref it to have presence (punchy), non sibilant.

Currently looking at focal clear, elex, elear, zmf eikon, auteur, Aeon flow closed/open but open to more options as I don't know much

I listen to mostly kpop, english pop, alt rock and little bit of screamo-kinda songs

Thanksss!!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #2,420 of 8,456

Kinda new to headphones, been primarily using iems thus far, but think i wanna get into them.

If anyone is able to help me out, looking for a pair of headphones that has good non-recessed mids, vocals clear and upfront, bass not as important but pref it to have presence (punchy), non sibilant.

Currently looking at focal clear, elex, elear, zmf eikon, auteur, Aeon flow closed/open but open to more options as I don't know much

Thanksss!!
Of the headphones you listed, I would start with the Auteur. It has all the qualities you just named.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #2,421 of 8,456

Thanksss!!
Impossible to hear how you hear, so I'd personally go test out a few headphones before making any decisions. I wouldn't drop $1000+ on someone's say-so. That's a good list you have, so try audition as many of them as you can before deciding.

Sep 27, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #2,422 of 8,456
Of the headphones you listed, I would start with the Auteur. It has all the qualities you just named.

haha!! i like how you said "would start with". That was what happened with iems for me, rolled on to no end in sight. Thanks for recommending me!! ^^

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #2,423 of 8,456
Impossible to hear how you hear, so I'd personally go test out a few headphones before making any decisions. I wouldn't drop $1000+ on someone's say-so. That's a good list you have, so try audition as many of them as you can before deciding.

That's true! Happened many times before when a person's opinion doesn't match another's. Just wanna see what are the thoughts of others as currently I'm unavailable to test em

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #2,424 of 8,456

Thanksss!!

I think it's better to describe which genres you listen to mostly will be easier for recommendation.

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #2,425 of 8,456
I think it's better to describe which genres you listen to mostly will be easier for recommendation.

I listen to mostly kpop, english pop, alt rock and little bit of screamo-kinda songs, around 70/30 female/male vocals

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #2,426 of 8,456

Thanksss!!
I think that, from your list, the Auteur and Clear are probably the most likely to fit your described preferences.

Aeon are probably a little V-shaped (so recessed mids). Elear/Elex get very mixed reviews, so you might love or hate them. Eikon probably close, with more bass emphasis.

You don't mention soundstage, open vs. closed, or dynamic vs planar magnetic. You're going to hear a lot of variability in soundstage, and you'll have to decide what you prefer, and how much it matters. Open vs. closed is both a factor in the sound character, and also may matter for practical reasons (e.g., you need closed because sound leakage in affects your listening experience, or sound leakage out causes problems with others). And you're going to hear a clear qualitative difference in the sound of planar magnetic vs dynamic driver headphones.

You also don't mention your source chain. It's tonality, detail retrieval, dynamics and power will all impact your listening, and will have a lot to do with how well you like various cans.

Honestly, you wouldn't be making a mistake to pick up a set of HD-6xx for $200ish (a little less used) as a beginner/baseline set. As many have said, they do many things well, and they don't do anything terribly badly. In addition, their sound is universally recognized, so they make an easy basis for comparison. By that I mean that I can tell you how my Auteur compares to my HD-6xx, and you'll have a good sense of what the Auteur will sound like.

Anyway, GLTY, have fun, and always remember:

Your ears, my ears.

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #2,427 of 8,456
I think that, from your list, the Auteur and Clear are probably the most likely to fit your described preferences.

Aeon are probably a little V-shaped (so recessed mids). Elear/Elex get very mixed reviews, so you might love or hate them. Eikon probably close, with more bass emphasis.

You don't mention soundstage, open vs. closed, or dynamic vs planar magnetic. You're going to hear a lot of variability in soundstage, and you'll have to decide what you prefer, and how much it matters. Open vs. closed is both a factor in the sound character, and also may matter for practical reasons (e.g., you need closed because sound leakage in affects your listening experience, or sound leakage out causes problems with others). And you're going to hear a clear qualitative difference in the sound of planar magnetic vs dynamic driver headphones.

You also don't mention your source chain. It's tonality, detail retrieval, dynamics and power will all impact your listening, and will have a lot to do with how well you like various cans.

Honestly, you wouldn't be making a mistake to pick up a set of HD-6xx for $200ish (a little less used) as a beginner/baseline set. As many have said, they do many things well, and they don't do anything terribly badly. In addition, their sound is universally recognized, so they make an easy basis for comparison. By that I mean that I can tell you how my Auteur compares to my HD-6xx, and you'll have a good sense of what the Auteur will sound like.

Anyway, GLTY, have fun, and always remember:

Your ears, my ears.

haha ohmygod, I've forgotten I missed out so much stuff!! Soundstage isn't much of a factor, open is pref as I'm in a quiet environment anyway. Planar or dynamic both is fine too. I heard planar has like god-like bass tho.

Currently using a Creative X7 LTD as my source connected to my pc and yeah I've considered getting a mid-tierish hp like hd 6xx but having own lots of iems before I think jumping straight to the main stuff would be better rather than climbing my way up. I changed iems so much till I finally settled on EE's LX. Would have saved alot more if I jumped straight haha :frowning2:

Sep 27, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #2,428 of 8,456
moved to PM

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #2,429 of 8,456
Was the clamp too loose? It can be adjusted by bending the headband into more of a V shape. I've let my 12 year old niece use my Auteur and it fits her fine despite the cups being nearly the size of her head

The ear cups just hang too low on my head and do not make a proper seal around my ears. I think this is based on the overall weight of the cans and their general fitment on my head. Basically, my ears are not centered on the cups and no matter what I did, I could not get them to fit properly. (At least to my satisfaction). I think if the gimbles did not spin 360 degrees, I could make them work.

I still really enjoy the way they sound and my good friend who lives down the street owns a pair of Auteurs so I can borrow them if I need to so I can get my fix...

:thumbsup:

Sep 27, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #2,430 of 8,456
The ear cups just hang too low on my head and do not make a proper seal around my ears. I think this is based on the overall weight of the cans and their general fitment on my head. Basically, my ears are not centered on the cups and no matter what I did, I could not get them to fit properly. (At least to my satisfaction). I think if the gimbles did not spin 360 degrees, I could make them work.

I still really enjoy the way they sound and my good friend who lives down the street owns a pair of Auteurs so I can borrow them if I need to so I can get my fix...

:thumbsup:
its very possible to tighten the gimbals so they don’t spin so freely. I did that when I had an Auteur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back