ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 1, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,067 of 8,309
Ditto on your comments about the Auteur bass sounding like a planar. When I first tried on the Auteur, I mistook it as a planar as the bass is of that quality.

Yup, I was doing side-by-side comparisons of Auteur with my LCD2C. With the Eikon pads the bass quantity and quality was pretty damn close. I think because of how tightly LCD2C clamps the seal is insane (you can hear a crinkle in the drivers when moving the pads) and that helps give a small amount of extra weight, but it is just so close. And with Auteur pads the extension is still similar but quantity of bass decreases a little, putting it closer to how I hear Hifimans.

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #1,068 of 8,309
I found the LCD2C's mid bass impact utterly lacking. The quantity was also lacking so I felt justified when other knowledgeable reviewers recommended a 2 db boost from 10-120 hz on the LCD2C. Would anyone say the Auteur's midbass impact resembles that of the LCD2C? (that is , utterly unimpressive?)

Apr 1, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #1,069 of 8,309
I found the LCD2C's mid bass impact utterly lacking. The quantity was also lacking so I felt justified when other knowledgeable reviewers recommended a 2 db boost from 10-120 hz on the LCD2C. Would anyone say the Auteur's midbass impact resembles that of the LCD2C? (that is , utterly unimpressive?)
Um hell no especially with the suede pads midbass gets a boost

Apr 1, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,070 of 8,309
8DF35432-4BEF-475E-B909-77B6C78536D7.jpeg

Just finished building my Paduak stand. Could have kept piling on the Laquer but just wanted to use it today. Love the grain of this wood and how classy and beautiful it looks given the price.

Apr 1, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #1,071 of 8,309
Um hell no especially with the suede pads midbass gets a boost

What suede pads? I've only heard of people using the perforated Eikon or Auteur pads. I did see a review mentioning the solid leather Eikon pads to make it a bass cannon, but nothing about suede. I have some suede pads with my Atticus that actually neuter the mid-bass.

Apr 1, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #1,074 of 8,309

Yeah Audeze being planar is meant to have linear bass from sub to mid. In doing so, it is tight, controlled, and fast. But it doesn't impact and slam like dynamics that tend to have a wider bump across mid-bass. I will often add a little bass boost to LCD2C as well as a significant upper mid/low treble boost. I've owned LCD-2F and LCD2C now and I overall just don't care for them all that much. I always feel like Audezes have this sort of compressed feel to them. It is a very smooth and clean sound but they lack the dynamics that make a headphone engaging to me. I definitely don't have that issue with Auteur and the bass is a standout for me with Auteur, particularly since it is not a boosted bass like Atticus yet it still carries weight, impact, and texture.

Apr 2, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,075 of 8,309
Has anyone tried the 2K copper cable by Zach with the Auteurs? I just got in an LQI OCC copper and the micro-detail has improved very slightly, bass has gained some heft but the overall detail has been smoothed over a little too much for my liking w/ my current tube setup. Looking for an end game cable to match my endgame cans :wink:

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #1,076 of 8,309
So the EIkon suede bumps the mid bass on the Auteur but reduces it on the Atticus? Weeeeeird
The way bass changes with more/less ventilating isn't linear, like at all.

Like, on many closed cans (not all) venting the cups increases bass. On many open (not all!) it's the reverse. Doing it in different places, even if they're both in front or behind the driver, may have opposite effects. Venting a little bit may increase and then you vent a bit more and it starts decreasing at another frequency.

Voicing cans is basically the Twilight Zone.

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #1,077 of 8,309
Has anyone tried the 2K copper cable by Zach with the Auteurs? I just got in an LQI OCC copper and the micro-detail has improved very slightly, bass has gained some heft but the overall detail has been smoothed over a little too much for my liking w/ my current tube setup. Looking for an end game cable to match my endgame cans :wink:

Look in to Jenna Labs Ultra Wire, they sell to DIYers, you won't believe your ears. Best stranded copper wire, period...

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #1,078 of 8,309
Look in to Jenna Labs Ultra Wire, they sell to DIYers, you won't believe your ears. Best stranded copper wire, period...

Ive been considering a Solvine hybrid cable from Norne. Its weird but I think I prefer the stock cable as it sounds the most laid back and smooth while this OCC upgrade cable sounds clearer but a bit more aggressive and less natural.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #1,079 of 8,309
Ive been considering a Solvine hybrid cable from Norne. Its weird but I think I prefer the stock cable as it sounds the most laid back and smooth while this OCC upgrade cable sounds clearer but a bit more aggressive and less natural.

The best wires are neutral, just let the sound get from your gears to the headphones, so that could be something in your setup. I know that I can get things to change up in my setup. I use and iFi Ilink, fed by a Audioquest Diamond USB from my computer, and I have three SPDIF connections to my Amethyst, never tried USB direct to the Amethyst because it is not the best sounding, SPDIF, I use 1. Pure Silver, 2. Silver Plated Copper, and 3. Silitech Pure Glass selectable from the Amethyst, each sounds a little different. number 1, can be more harsh depending on the Tubes I roll in, and what Headphone and cable I use out of my Tube Amps, just an example. There is no silver bullet with cables. I've read where the Gumby sounds more agressive for example. Regardless, for me the Ultra Wire, being such pure stranded copper, just delivers. I've tried most of the DHC and Norne and Kimber offerings, and I still go back to pure copper OCC.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #1,080 of 8,309
I've heard stranded is technically inferior to pure solid core but the Jenna Labs uses cryotreatment which I have noticed with tube pins increases detail and dynamics. Easy to fall into a cable wormhole. Zachs offering looks gorgeous though and it seems like he tuned it with the Auteurs in mind. Smooth and detailed seems to be the best match for the Auteurs sound signature, but of course neutralness is where I should probably be looking.

I must say music that I've really enjoyed in the past, under a neutral sound signature sound way less appealing. It's fun getting to pick apart tracks by the production alone tho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back