ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 20, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #946 of 8,327
Sorry, I don't believe in burn in.....brain burn in maybe. I tried a couple of silver stranded cables, that made a big difference, and I will be changing to the Perforated Eikon pads to try. I don't like the idea of rolling tubes just to fit one headphone, as my other phones are a good fit with the Siemens E81CC. Where was that bottle of fine Italian wine that I was looking for, it wasn't in with the headphones? :ksc75smile:
Ha! Gladly but they wouldn't let me export alcohol otherwise the package would've been quite a few "liters" bulkier:wink:

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #947 of 8,327
Can someone suggest a few tracks that can help me with instrument separation? What I am hearing seems to be a blob of music on the left, and another blob of music on the right, vocals in my face. When I adjust the volume knob so vocals are at a listenable level, instruments seem to disappear. I must be doing something wrong, or need different material to hear what the Autuer is capable of. Bass heavy tracks can sound V shaped to me, on my familiar tracks. When I turn the volume up, vocals dominate everything else.

This track negates what I said above, one of my fav's.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #948 of 8,327
Now that the preorder is over are the Teak Auteurs just coming with the Auteur pads and not both?

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #949 of 8,327
Sorry, I don't believe in burn in.....brain burn in maybe. I tried a couple of silver stranded cables, that made a big difference, and I will be changing to the Perforated Eikon pads to try. I don't like the idea of rolling tubes just to fit one headphone, as my other phones are a good fit with the Siemens E81CC. Where was that bottle of fine Italian wine that I was looking for, it wasn't in with the headphones? :ksc75smile:

That's a bit like saying you don't believe in electricity.

These are mechanical devices, not vodoo black magic, you can measure it yourself with a couple of cheap microphones, a piece of foam and free software.

You can also mechanically measure it but you risk damaging the driver so please don't :p

The drivers do burn in significantly, especially over the first 24 hours and then slowly to about 150 hrs. The drivers have thick rubber surrounds that get flexed and "relaxed" as they get used. I like using pink noise and EDM etc. We haven't been able to burn the headphones in as much as I'd like to get them out the door.

Now that the preorder is over are the Teak Auteurs just coming with the Auteur pads and not both?

All auteurs will always come with both sets of pads. Sorry for any confusion on that front!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 20, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #950 of 8,327
Is there any more news about the new cable being made by Zach mentioned pages back by mysticstryk?

Nothing so far. I need to pay for mine before my blackwood brass gets shipped, all quiet on that front

Sorry for the radio silence. Just about everything is ready to go. Any questions just send me an email through our site.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 20, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #951 of 8,327
@cute, try the perforated Eikon pads. They are warmer sounding but imaging is clearer and timbre is IMO more accurate. They are my preferred pad.

OK, been with the Eikon pads, noticed immediately clearer imaging better timbre, but the soundstage seems smaller and more confined, maybe the Teak wood, but they sounded thin with the perforated Autuer pads. Similar on both amps, Kenzie and my integrated tube amp from speaker taps. Now maybe I just need to wait for the soundstage and holographic sound these should have. Right now my THX00 w/Padauk Lawton chambers and Tune Up mods has bigger soundstage and the holographic sound that I expected with the Autuer.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #952 of 8,327
OK, been with the Eikon pads, noticed immediately clearer imaging better timbre, but the soundstage seems smaller and more confined, maybe the Teak wood, but they sounded thin with the perforated Autuer pads. Similar on both amps, Kenzie and my integrated tube amp from speaker taps. Now maybe I just need to wait for the soundstage and holographic sound these should have. Right now my THX00 w/Padauk Lawton chambers and Tune Up mods has bigger soundstage and the holographic sound that I expected with the Autuer.

I'm surprised by your comments. I hear the soundstage as very holographic and precise. Not big though -- similar in extent to Utopia.

At first I wondered if it was a source chain issue, but looking at your profile, that's clearly not the case unless you're eschewing all your quality gear and listening to your Auteur from a cheap phone :)

I listen to tons of Loreena, and find the Auteur creates a wonderful soundscape -- Gates of Istanbul, Night Ride Across the Caucasus, Beneath a Phrygian Sky ...

Try the 2007 re-release of Sgt Pepper and then the 50th Anniv. remix. Super fun contrast. The 2007 mix is very sparse, and can seem 3-blobbish at first. But as you get into it, you hear lots of movement of instruments and voices. Meanwhile the 50th remix is very lush, with instruments and voices smeared around an enveloping space.

FYI, my Auteur are Blackwood, and all my listening is balanced. As always, your ears, my ears. Good listening.

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #953 of 8,327
What do you guys think the best sub 3k tube amp match is with the Auteur? I still have a hope that i might get it in place before my Auteurs arrive...

Mar 20, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #954 of 8,327
What do you guys think the best sub 3k tube amp match is with the Auteur? I still have a hope that i might get it in place before my Auteurs arrive...
I’ve heard good things about the Auteur running from the Kenzie Encore and Mogwai tube amps from Ampsandsound. Haven’t actually heard the Auteurs from those amps though. The older model Feliks Euforia that I’m running my Auteurs from sounds fine, but the tubes need changing and the new model is most likely not worth its increased price.

http://earphiles.org/2017/12/zmf-auteur-review/

Gbeast’s review of the Auteur with an amping section at the end.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #955 of 8,327
I can wholeheartedly recommend Eddie Current amps. Zana Deux Super should be excellent. I owned a Zana Deux original version with upgraded parts and now own the Aficionado. The sense of space and 3D layering including depth is just something to behold on Eddie Current amps. They also have great treble extension and air so unlike some tube amps they don't sound too warm. They also respond well to tube rolling so good tubes matter.

Ampsand sound are excellent amps. At their price point I can definitely recommend them. They are a little warmer and thicker than Eddie Current amps, which I felt was too much with Auteur but that could also be personal preference.

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #956 of 8,327
I can wholeheartedly recommend Eddie Current amps. Zana Deux Super should be excellent. I owned a Zana Deux original version with upgraded parts and now own the Aficionado. The sense of space and 3D layering including depth is just something to behold on Eddie Current amps. They also have great treble extension and air so unlike some tube amps they don't sound too warm. They also respond well to tube rolling so good tubes matter.

Ampsand sound are excellent amps. At their price point I can definitely recommend them. They are a little warmer and thicker than Eddie Current amps, which I felt was too much with Auteur but that could also be personal preference.

Only problem with that ZDS is those two big tubes (don't know if they're the power tubes) only last about ~750 hours give or take and are expensive to replace. The main benefit EC amps have is in their top end extension - I've read that the ZDS doesn't really slam much tho (at least not compared to its other offerings like the BW but that's to be expected because it's SS.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #957 of 8,327
Only problem with that ZDS is those two big tubes (don't know if they're the power tubes) only last about ~750 hours give or take and are expensive to replace. The main benefit EC amps have is in their top end extension - I've read that the ZDS doesn't really slam much tho (at least not compared to its other offerings like the BW but that's to be expected because it's SS.

What tubes are you talking about here ?

I don't know of any tubes that are said to only last 750 hours if they are NOS tubes ????

Most tubes are good for about 2500 hours and some are even good for 10,000 hours.

Would love to know what tubes these would be.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #958 of 8,327

Although I've not specifically heard an Auteur from a Torpedo III, I find it difficult to believe that it wouldn't be a good match up. I had the pleasure of listening to @cskippy's Blackwood in Phoenix and I currently own a TIII. So while I've not heard the two together, I feel that's sufficient basis to make the recommendation.

One can find a used TIII for sale with seemingly little difficulty of late. Just a thought. :wink:

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #959 of 8,327
Sorry for the radio silence. Just about everything is ready to go. Any questions just send me an email through our site.
Nah, I'm cool.

House renovation in the last two weeks, the world catches fire on a regular basis, no need to hurry up excitement, I can wait till what needs doing is done :)

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #960 of 8,327
I'm surprised by your comments. I hear the soundstage as very holographic and precise. Not big though -- similar in extent to Utopia.

At first I wondered if it was a source chain issue, but looking at your profile, that's clearly not the case unless you're eschewing all your quality gear and listening to your Auteur from a cheap phone :)

I listen to tons of Loreena, and find the Auteur creates a wonderful soundscape -- Gates of Istanbul, Night Ride Across the Caucasus, Beneath a Phrygian Sky ...

Try the 2007 re-release of Sgt Pepper and then the 50th Anniv. remix. Super fun contrast. The 2007 mix is very sparse, and can seem 3-blobbish at first. But as you get into it, you hear lots of movement of instruments and voices. Meanwhile the 50th remix is very lush, with instruments and voices smeared around an enveloping space.

FYI, my Auteur are Blackwood, and all my listening is balanced. As always, your ears, my ears. Good listening.

Back to the Autuer pads, what I was hearing has been corrected with a new cable that I just finished yesterday. Soundstage increased significantly, imaging is very precise, low end has gained weight, everything fell into place with just the cable. This is my first using this cable, but I ordered it targeting the Autuer for it's use. Good thing is it's a DIY cable, easy to work with compared to all the Litz I've used from DHC, this is OCC, not coated like Litz, no solder pot needed. It's light, supple, no microphonics. Now hearing the Autuer as I had hoped. Holographic, big soundstage, precise imaging!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back