ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 21, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #978 of 8,330
That won't generate any controversy :)

That's a question which has been bouncing around for quite a while now, and the answer is not obvious. Both are wonderful headphones.

I've got a new DAC (Denafrips Pontus -- arrived last Thursday) and a preamp coming today (Emotiva XSP-1). That will let me A/B the two cans, mixing and matching DAC/amp combos with the two sets of headphones. I plan to spend a couple weeks doing that, to come up with my favorite pairings.

My current thinking is (factors weighted 1 - 5, with 1 being the least significant noticeable difference, and 5 being a deal-breaking difference):

- Utopia best with DAPs, especially paired with Cowon Plenue 2, because it's more sensitive/easier to drive +1
- Utopia has most detail +1
- Utopia has most precise soundscape +1
- Utopia is a little more comfortable +1

- Auteur is significantly less fatiguing +2
- Auteur has preferred tonality -- Utopia (to my ears) emphasizes some high frequency information a bit much +2
- As a consequence of the above, Auteur has slightly preferred bass +1
- Auteur is acceptable with Opus#2 -- haven't heard it with my P2, since it's off in Korea getting a sloppy 2.5mm jack repaired -1 (subject to revision when/if my P2 comes back)
- Auteur comfort isn't an issue, just a bit heavy, with slightly too little clamping -1

- Soundstages are similar in size

Obviously, all this is to my ears, on my system.

I really wonder if I'm going to notice significant differences in dynamics/impact when A/B comparing the two. Also, will the difference in detail become more or less noticeable? I haven't really been able to get a good sense of the differences in these characteristics yet, but I suspect the differences will become clearer once I can do a quick switch between the two headphones.

I know it seems silly to worry about performance with DAPs -- neither of these sets go outside. But I do some portable listening around the house (while doing chores, watching sports on TV with the sound off...)

My expectation bias is that I will prefer the Pontus with the Utopia, and the Sonica with the Auteur. I have no clear expectation regarding preferred amp pairing between my Violectric v280 and Bryston BHA-1 although I won't be surprised if I prefer the Utopia with the Bryston.
=================
All that said, the succinct answer to your inquiry is the old 'Magic 8-ball' standby:

Reply hazy try again

Cheers!

Thanks for your insight. From where I live (down under) I can only audition the Utopia and can only judge Auteur based from others perspective. I'm searching another headphones that complement the EFO with Utopia/Auteur being the finalists so I'm trying to get as much info from owners who have both Utopia/Auteur with their thoughts between the two. So anymore comment will be much appreciated.

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #979 of 8,330
Not sure what you're waiting for but maybe my review can help!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmf-auteur.22744/reviews

All I know is there is going to be no waiting from me tomorrow - I'm getting my paycheck and I've been craving these things ever since I got my Atticus. It literally seems like the best all rounder headphone up to $2k - the literal holy grail. I'm super pumped, I bought all new tubes to compliment the sound signature further (warm preamp, and warm rectifier, and another bright detailed preamp).

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #981 of 8,330
Been patiently waiting for my Auteur (Assembly phase so it shouldn't be too long!) so in the meantime, I've been hoarding amps to figure out what it'll best pair with. Finally got a hit on my WTB ad and just got a new toy in the mail!

XsaJqAL.jpg

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #982 of 8,330
Been patiently waiting for my Auteur (Assembly phase so it shouldn't be too long!) so in the meantime, I've been hoarding amps to figure out what it'll best pair with. Finally got a hit on my WTB ad and just got a new toy in the mail!

what is the big black box in front? is that your new toy?

(i see my favorite cheap-but-good SS to its left)

XsaJqAL.jpg

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #985 of 8,330

Great amp!! I owned a Crimson for about a year. It should be absolutely phenomenal with the Auteur. Hard to think of a more perfect amp for it. Was really, really special with the Atticus as well (along with the HD800, HE1000 and Denon/Fostex models). :)

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #986 of 8,330
Great amp!! I owned a Crimson for about a year. It should be absolutely phenomenal with the Auteur. Hard to think of a more perfect amp for it. Was really, really special with the Atticus as well (along with the HD800, HE1000 and Denon/Fostex models). :)

Anyone runs their Auteur with Audio-gd amps?

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #987 of 8,330

Good to hear! Can't wait to get my Auteurs in. Can't complain right now though since the Crimson sounds pretty good with my HD650s and AFO. :)

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #988 of 8,330
What do you guys recommend as a good balanced SS amp for around $1,000 for the Auteurs? I already have a OTL, just want a mix and match for the bass heavy genres.

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #989 of 8,330
What do you guys recommend as a good balanced SS amp for around $1,000 for the Auteurs? I already have a OTL, just want a mix and match for the bass heavy genres.
Cayin iha-6 is a surprisingly great ss amp has bass for days and at only 700 dollars. Read up on it at earphiles innerfidelity and headfonics. ps its at its best when using it through balanced fyi

Mar 22, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #990 of 8,330

The HeadAmp Gilmore Lite MK2 sounds pretty much exactly like the GSX, except it’s $499 instead of $3K. I’m hard pressed to think of a better sounding solid state under $1,000, and I’ve heard most of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back