ZMF Auteur Thread
Jun 29, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #7,681 of 8,456
I love both of these! Both the glossy finish and the wax finish like mine. The lines and colors of the Ambrosia maple and cathedral like grill make me think of an old church.

Now I’ll have to share pics of my Ambrosia Maple pair again when I get home from work tonight lol
Here. My submission to the Ambrosia lovers club 😂
IMG_7567.jpeg

You’re both right, the warmth and smoothness of the wood is really hard to capture on (iPhone) camera.

Jun 29, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #7,683 of 8,456
Been a nice, kinda slow-paced work day and I was taking a moment to just, take in my Auteur Classics. No other headphones I've owned have that effect for me where I just want to move them around in my hands and appreciate all the details and the feel and look of them.

Also, I know the LTD, stabilized and resin sets get a lot of love (for good reason, I'm hoping to own one as well someday) but I really love the character the stock ambrosia maple Auteur can have despite seeming a bit more plain at first glance.

20230629_142905.jpg

Picture Perfect! Drop this in the thread --> Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS!

Jul 7, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #7,686 of 8,456
I had my Auteur OG listed in classifieds for a while, but uhhh. Well I pulled it back out of the case and started listening to it again and... I delisted it.

I have a problem. All my headphones do something I like, and I found they each have a purpose. The HEDDphone is on my head right now and it's the best for late night relaxing, with its slightly subdued dynamics. The Arya Stealth does movies and games the best, and music without vocals when I want to be pulled into the music. My vintage Stantons are my bass cannons.

And the Auteur does vocals, pop, and classic rock super well with a bit more dynamics than the HEDDphones.

I just... I need them all, OK? There's nothing wrong with that! There's nothing wrong with that...

Jul 7, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #7,687 of 8,456
I had my Auteur OG listed in classifieds for a while, but uhhh. Well I pulled it back out of the case and started listening to it again and... I delisted it.

I have a problem. All my headphones do something I like, and I found they each have a purpose. The HEDDphone is on my head right now and it's the best for late night relaxing, with its slightly subdued dynamics. The Arya Stealth does movies and games the best, and music without vocals when I want to be pulled into the music. My vintage Stantons are my bass cannons.

And the Auteur does vocals, pop, and classic rock super well with a bit more dynamics than the HEDDphones.

I just... I need them all, OK? There's nothing wrong with that! There's nothing wrong with that...
I agree indubitably!!!

Jul 7, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #7,688 of 8,456

Then just be sure to NEVER try ANY OTHER ZMF’s! Especially not the Atticus, Aeolus, Verite Open, or Atrium Closed (still haven’t heard one yet though) if you like rock…sometimes I find myself pining over a Verite Open because they do live music better than any other headphone I’ve heard, but how often will I really use them? I use the Auteur so much, they’re an easy keeper. Glad you’re hanging into yours!

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #7,689 of 8,456
I totally sympathize with this statement. It gets a little out of control at some point. Wait until you setup different rigs that sound different with different headphones. Then you tweak cables. Then you tweak pads. Then you tweak source. Then you tweak amp. Then you tweak dac. It never ends. Until you die. I guess it ends there in some way. But then you pass it on to the next one and then they are like "oh, this is what they meant by music."

🤷

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #7,690 of 8,456
Here is one of the sets I picked up at Chicago. This company just creates art.

Attachments

• 20230625_160751.jpg
    20230625_160751.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 8, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #7,691 of 8,456
Wasn't burl supposed to drop today for a certain zmf? I thought they said the 7th?

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #7,692 of 8,456
Wasn't burl supposed to drop today for a certain zmf? I thought they said the 7th?
Burl is the 14th! There was a typo and then a correction, at least on the ZMF Instagram page. I also seemed to remember the new Ash Auteur Classics were dropping today though...maybe it's just all the 14th.

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #7,693 of 8,456
Jul 8, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #7,694 of 8,456
Then just be sure to NEVER try ANY OTHER ZMF’s! Especially not the Atticus, Aeolus, Verite Open, or Atrium Closed (still haven’t heard one yet though) if you like rock…sometimes I find myself pining over a Verite Open because they do live music better than any other headphone I’ve heard, but how often will I really use them? I use the Auteur so much, they’re an easy keeper. Glad you’re hanging into yours!
It's bad enough when you're just considering their sonic differences and abilities, but then you factor in the aesthetic desire and it's ridiculous. I've currently got the Classic and VC, and I'm still constantly looking at that selectstock VO...almost entirely due to loving how the VO looks, because from what I've read the VC is probably a better fit sonically for me (from what I've read the VO bass doesn't hit quite as hard).

I'm trying not to get into collection territory (I just don't have the space...or spousal acceptance) so it becomes this internal debate of 'Ok well if I did get the VO I'd have to sell the Classic and VC because I don't need multiple open-backs and the VC is going to be similar enough, so then maybe I get the Atrium Closed as the complimentary closed back to the VO...?'.

It's crazy, because the Classic and VC are both phenomenal and I love both of them, but it's so hard to just chill out and stop thinking about 'what if..' with all the other awesome looking ZMFs.

Jul 8, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #7,695 of 8,456
I totally sympathize with this statement. It gets a little out of control at some point. Wait until you setup different rigs that sound different with different headphones. Then you tweak cables. Then you tweak pads. Then you tweak source. Then you tweak amp. Then you tweak dac. It never ends. Until you die. I guess it ends there in some way. But then you pass it on to the next one and then they are like "oh, this is what they meant by music."

🤷

Well for my own sanity I have to draw a line somewhere when it comes to tweaking. It's part of the reason I don't EQ, because in the past I'd obsess over every half decibel change and drive myself mad until I'd just turn it off altogether and realize it sounded better as it was.

Also money limitations are a pretty great way of keeping from going overboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back