ZMF Auteur Thread
Aug 18, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #6,826 of 8,456
I can’t say I’ve noticed big differences when trying different headphone cables with any of my ZMFs, but I do like the look and feel of the 2K Copper cable Zach sells. I’ve been using it with my Meze Elite as well, and can’t decide whether or not it sounds any better than the ZMF OFC cable I was using. Ergonomics and build quality are certainly a solid step up on the 2K. I’ve never tried a silver cable, but I’d definitely like to try one with my Elite.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #6,827 of 8,456
New opinion.
===
From Post #17103179 above:
...The ventilated one should theoretically make the mid and treble range more pronounced than it actually is...
Yep, that's what I expect as well -- but I might want that.
... And the bass range might even be slimmer, I would guess...
No, this would be bad ... better not happen ... grrr!
===
Well, after 32 hours of burn-in I’m feeling like the female vocal politeness has been burned out, either out of my Classics, or out of my brain.

Aug 19, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #6,828 of 8,456
Listening to an Auteur Classic (Ambrosia Maple) care of Zach. Thank you Zach! Listening through my Icon HP8 and Exogal Comet+. My first impression was not the best. I pined for the immediacy of my Auteur Bocote OG. But, now that I have settled in, I completely understand why Zach made the change. I still love my Auteur OG, it is a marvelous headphone. Beautiful, one of a kind with sound taboot... The Classic just takes everything that you love about the Auteur and expands on it. By deepening the soundstage (especially the backend depth), the headphone's imaging prowess improves exponentially. Everything feels a bit more relaxed and it allows the music to open up and flow smoothly and powerfully. The Classic is still an unmistakable Auteur, just with more depth and a bit more there there. The stage depth cuts down on the Auteur's tendency to sound a tad lit up. Not really bright, lit up is the best way for me to describe it. Love it!

Aug 19, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #6,829 of 8,456
This song and the Classic makes life a happy place...

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #6,830 of 8,456
Listening to an Auteur Classic (Ambrosia Maple) care of Zach. Thank you Zach! Listening through my Icon HP8 and Exogal Comet+. My first impression was not the best. I pined for the immediacy of my Auteur Bocote OG. But, now that I have settled in, I completely understand why Zach made the change. I still love my Auteur OG, it is a marvelous headphone. Beautiful, one of a kind with sound taboot... The Classic just takes everything that you love about the Auteur and expands on it. By deepening the soundstage (especially the backend depth), the headphone's imaging prowess improves exponentially. Everything feels a bit more relaxed and it allows the music to open up and flow smoothly and powerfully. The Classic is still an unmistakable Auteur, just with more depth and a bit more there there. The stage depth cuts down on the Auteur's tendency to sound a tad lit up. Not really bright, lit up is the best way for me to describe it. Love it!

Deepening the soundstage (especially the backend depth) improves the imaging performance of the headphone exponentially.
What is the difference between Og and Classic? I can't really picture it right now.
The stage depth reduces the author s tendency to sound a bit enlightened
Personally, I would find that a bit of a bummer, since I like that.Maybe personal taste?

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #6,831 of 8,456
Personally, I would find that a bit of a bummer, since I like that.Maybe personal taste?
This is why I was wondering about changing the mesh. But after last night's session, I'm less concerned.

Personally, I don't find the Classic to be less 'lit up' as @geoffalter11 mentioned. And I'm using the perforated Eikon Suede pads, which tend to 'dim' the sound just a bit.

Once they're burned in a bit more (say by Sunday) I'll try some different pads. Especially interested in hearing how the perf lamb Auteur pads sound. I expect to give up some bass and gain some more air in the headstage.

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #6,832 of 8,456
This is why I was wondering about changing the mesh. But after last night's session, I'm less concerned.

Personally, I don't find the Classic to be less 'lit up' as @geoffalter11 mentioned. And I'm using the perforated Eikon Suede pads, which tend to 'dim' the sound just a bit.

Once they're burned in a bit more (say by Sunday) I'll try some different pads. Especially interested in hearing how the perf lamb Auteur pads sound. I expect to give up some bass and gain some more air in the headstage.
I am using the Auteur Lambskin Perfs. I don't lilke the Eikon Suede's, too warm for my tastes. At least on my Auteur OG. Haven't tried the Eikon Suede yet on the Classic.

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #6,833 of 8,456
What is the difference between Og and Classic? I can't really picture it right now.

Biggest difference I currently hear between the OG and Classic is stage depth. Especially back into my head. The OG sounds more forward and immediate. I like them both, for different reasons. I do really like the way the depth helps with image specificity as things sound a bit less cramped. Not that the OG was cramped, but the Classic has a bit more room. This is just what I am hearing thus far. I am not 100s of hrs into listening.

Aug 19, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #6,834 of 8,456
At the Og I stayed with the Auteurs.
I tried the Eikons, the bass was a little better at the expense of illumination and detail.
I didn't quite like that, even when using slightly higher resolution tubes.
The Auteurs sounded thin at the beginning, which improved over time when they were new.

I would still be careful with the pads on the Classic if they need to be played in.
If you don't have any problems playing in, you can actually neglect that for the time being, I think.

With the right tube combination, you can get great bass even with the Auteur pads.
I was amazed at how well it worked.
Personally I don't really know, I think I would miss the OG even if the Classic feels better.
I'm also a bit afraid of losing the great flexibility the OG offers.
That might be a little less the case with the Classic but that's just my guess and of course without wanting to badmouth it.
Most of the positive things I've read so far have been positive.

Aug 19, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #6,835 of 8,456
At the Og I stayed with the Auteurs.
I tried the Eikons, the bass was a little better at the expense of illumination and detail.
I didn't quite like that, even when using slightly higher resolution tubes.
The Auteurs sounded thin at the beginning, which improved over time when they were new.

I would still be careful with the pads on the Classic if they need to be played in.
If you don't have any problems playing in, you can actually neglect that for the time being, I think.

With the right tube combination, you can get great bass even with the Auteur pads.
I was amazed at how well it worked.
Personally I don't really know, I think I would miss the OG even if the Classic feels better.
I'm also a bit afraid of losing the great flexibility the OG offers.
That might be a little less the case with the Classic but that's just my guess and of course without wanting to badmouth it.
Most of the positive things I've read so far have been positive.
I would never give up my OG for the Classic either. I love both. I really like what ZMF has done with the Classic, but I wouldn't recommend upgrading the OG. I would keep it as is.

I love my Auteur and will never sell it or change it. However, for those getting an Auteur moving forward from ZMF, they will not be disappointed by the Classic. It has a lot of incredible qualities.

Aug 19, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #6,836 of 8,456
I would never give up my OG for the Classic either. I love both. I really like what ZMF has done with the Classic, but I wouldn't recommend upgrading the OG. I would keep it as is.

I love my Auteur and will never sell it or change it. However, for those getting an Auteur moving forward from ZMF, they will not be disappointed by the Classic. It has a lot of incredible qualities.
Your Icon Audio amplifier seems to work very well for Zmf headphones.
Are you happy with it so far?
Did you use it as standard or did you upgrade it with capacitors?

Aug 19, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #6,837 of 8,456
Biggest difference I currently hear between the OG and Classic is stage depth. Especially back into my head. The OG sounds more forward and immediate. I like them both, for different reasons. I do really like the way the depth helps with image specificity as things sound a bit less cramped. Not that the OG was cramped, but the Classic has a bit more room. This is just what I am hearing thus far. I am not 100s of hrs into listening.
☑️ What I hear, too (with Atrium)! With the ‘stage depth’ and astounding microdynamics, Atrium midrange seems ‘further away’, occupies greater space, yet is more detailed than the more proximate midrange of Auteur. EDIT: a purchase of Auteur Classic looks inevitable 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #6,838 of 8,456
Your Icon Audio amplifier seems to work very well for Zmf headphones.
Are you happy with it so far?
Did you use it as standard or did you upgrade it with capacitors?
I absolutely love my Icon HP8. Yes, it is an absolute wonder with ZMF headphones. But, it is equally as good with my Radiante and my LCD-4z. It is just a killer amp. Best tube amp I have owned. I have the upgraded Signature HP8 with the Mundorf Caps and the Ceramic Bottom CV181's.

Aug 19, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #6,839 of 8,456
☑️ What I hear, too (with Atrium)! With the ‘stage depth’ and astounding microdynamics, Atrium midrange seems ‘further away’, occupies greater space, yet is more detailed than the more proximate midrange of Auteur. EDIT: a purchase of Auteur Classic looks inevitable 🤷🏻‍♂️.
I agree. Technically, the Atrium is even better with impeccable pacing, image specificity and dynamics. I had the chills listening to the Classic, my Auteur OG and the Atrium last night. All for different reasons, but all gave me goosebumps.

Aug 19, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #6,840 of 8,456
"a purchase of Auteur Classic looks inevitable 🤷🏻‍♂️."
@jonathan c , come on in, the water's fine!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back