ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 25, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #4,261 of 8,441
Okay... I picked up a b-stock Auteur today and was conflicted on the pad choices. I understand the Eikon pads are warmer and the Auteur pads more neutral, but does anyone have a recommendation on suede vs lambskin? Thought I would get a set of Auteur perf. lambskin or perf. suede and an Eikon perf. lambskin or perf. suede, but can't decide which pad type to get in lambskin and which to get in suede. Can anyone help me settle this internal conflict?

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #4,262 of 8,441
Okay... I picked up a b-stock Auteur today and was conflicted on the pad choices. I understand the Eikon pads are warmer and the Auteur pads more neutral, but does anyone have a recommendation on suede vs lambskin? Thought I would get a set of Auteur perf. lambskin or perf. suede and an Eikon perf. lambskin or perf. suede, but can't decide which pad type to get in lambskin and which to get in suede. Can anyone help me settle this internal conflict?
Suedes give you a brighter sound, while lambskins are typically warmer. I can tell you that the Eikon lambskins turn the Auteurs into bass cannons.

My preferences for pads on the Auteur are lambskin pads, but I didn't personally like the Auteur lambskins because the ear hole was too big for my liking. However, the sound using the Auteur lambskins was best. I am going to try Universe pads for the ones I have on order now, which I think will be a really nice solution.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #4,263 of 8,441
Suedes give you a brighter sound, while lambskins are typically warmer. I can tell you that the Eikon lambskins turn the Auteurs into bass cannons.

My preferences for pads on the Auteur are lambskin pads, but I didn't personally like the Auteur lambskins because the ear hole was too big for my liking. However, the sound using the Auteur lambskins was best. I am going to try Universe pads for the ones I have on order now, which I think will be a really nice solution.

Thanks! I chose Suede Auteur and Lambskin Eikon but second guessing myself.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #4,265 of 8,441

I have overall not heard great things about Suede Auteur, but have never tried them myself. My favorite two pads are stock lambskin Auteur and perforated Eikon. I did not personally like lambskin eikon (I felt like it sucked too much air out of the presentation), but Suede eikon has a magic sort of quality. Just a bit more detailed somehow (or at least I perceive them as more detailed) and a very inviting presentation, everything just feels very cohesive.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #4,266 of 8,441
I also got back in the ZMF game this morning with a B stock Maple Auteur. Very excited about it, to say the least. Now the funny thing is, I didn't get the option to select lambskin pads; only suede, eikon, or universe. I ended up shooting Zach an email inquiring if it was an option, but ended up going with perforated suede auteur and eikon pads.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #4,267 of 8,441

I'm down to do a pad swap in the future if you are! I'm also second guessing myself.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #4,268 of 8,441
I'm down to do a pad swap in the future if you are! I'm also second guessing myself.

Yeah, I'd be up for that as well! My thinking was pick two options that were more different than alike. So with the suede leaning more neutral than warm, and the Eikon being the warmer pad than the Auteur pad, I chose suede Auteur and lambskin Eikon, both perforated. But more than once I've read the suede Eikons are a favorite, so thinking about asking Zach for a switch.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #4,269 of 8,441
Although the Eikon lambskin pads are great for mids and low end slam, nothing beats the stock auteur perf lamb pads with the Auteur. The soundstage isu matched, the depth and instrument seperation is something else with the Auteur pads. The Eikon pads sound congested, but rich and deep non the less. I have a set of Perf Auteur suede pads on the way. Will post direct comparison between the three pads next week.

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #4,270 of 8,441
Yeah, I'd be up for that as well! My thinking was pick two options that were more different than alike. So with the suede leaning more neutral than warm, and the Eikon being the warmer pad than the Auteur pad, I chose suede Auteur and lambskin Eikon, both perforated. But more than once I've read the suede Eikons are a favorite, so thinking about asking Zach for a switch.
I'm another vote for Eikon perf suede pads. I've only heard suede pads on the Auteur, and they're my clear favorites, and I agree they bring a bit of magic to them. I started with the Auteur suede when they first arrived and switched to the suede Eikons and fell in love at that point. I know one reviewer liked the solid suede with them, but they don't sound right at all that way.

Nov 30, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #4,272 of 8,441
Although the Eikon lambskin pads are great for mids and low end slam, nothing beats the stock auteur perf lamb pads with the Auteur. The soundstage isu matched, the depth and instrument seperation is something else with the Auteur pads. The Eikon pads sound congested, but rich and deep non the less. I have a set of Perf Auteur suede pads on the way. Will post direct comparison between the three pads next week.

I'm guilty of never taking the stock perf lamb Auteur pads off, because I like 'em so much. Will eventually get around to trying the Eikon pads, but not in a rush to fix that which is not broken 😎

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #4,273 of 8,441
I'm guilty of never taking the stock perf lamb Auteur pads off, because I like 'em so much. Will eventually get around to trying the Eikon pads, but not in a rush to fix that which is not broken 😎
Couldnt agree more. Im on the same boat here. After upgrading to the Feliks Audio Elise, the stock perf lamb auteur pads felt a little shy on bass. It was all there but not punchy enough. So I decided to pop in the Eikon perf lamb pads and now the bass is back. However, it cost me the grand soundstage that the Auteur pads provided. It felt a little congested, so much so that the soundstage (wideness) of my Auteur and Verite CLOSED sound pretty similar. I just received a pair of Auteur Perf suede pads in the mail this evening. So i m gonna slap those on tomorrow morning and do some testing. Honestly, dont know what to expect. I keep seeing people swearing by the Eikon suede pads to alleviate the slight congested sound of the Eikon Perf lamb pads but we ll see what these new pads sound like. Stay Tuned.

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #4,274 of 8,441
Couldnt agree more. Im on the same boat here. After upgrading to the Feliks Audio Elise, the stock perf lamb auteur pads felt a little shy on bass. It was all there but not punchy enough. So I decided to pop in the Eikon perf lamb pads and now the bass is back. However, it cost me the grand soundstage that the Auteur pads provided. It felt a little congested, so much so that the soundstage (wideness) of my Auteur and Verite CLOSED sound pretty similar. I just received a pair of Auteur Perf suede pads in the mail this evening. So i m gonna slap those on tomorrow morning and do some testing. Honestly, dont know what to expect. I keep seeing people swearing by the Eikon suede pads to alleviate the slight congested sound of the Eikon Perf lamb pads but we ll see what these new pads sound like. Stay Tuned.
Will look forward to your impressions of the Auteur Perf. suede in it's namesake HF, @shaffaaf27!

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #4,275 of 8,441
Just got in my upgraded amp/dac in preparation for my Auteur.

Decided on the Valhalla 2/Bifrost 2 combo and absolutely loving it on my 6XX’s. Coming from the Modi 3/Magni Heresy the setup really brings in the lows and to my ears opens up the soundstage.

Here’s to hoping for a shipping notice on my Auteurs this week! Happy December!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back