ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 25, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #3,031 of 8,365
The only other Auteur I did own and that can compare from memory is Teak. Compared to Blackwood, Teak was slightly more "thinner" sounding. Not that it was lacking bass but the higher frequency regions got slightly more emphasis due to the nature and resonant frequency of the wood. The Blackwood on the other hand showed a more "heavy" tone, notes that stroke you more and it presented a more sub-woofer like effect down low. And the speed was a little better on Blackwood even thought Teak sounded somewhat airier, like the sound was "breathing" more. I've long sold my Teak to get the Blackwood so can't remember any better, sorry :)

Great thoughts, I too owned the teak and blackwood and eventually ended up selling the Teak. The main difference for me was the blackness of the background. When comparing the two, there is almost a haze in the teak (maybe owing to the longer decay) when compared to the blackness of the background in the blackwood. One other difference I noticed was a drier sound in the teaks vs. a more lush/sweet sound in the blackwoods. These differences are hard to glean at first (at least for me they were) and it took extended listening before I began to really notice it on a consistent basis.

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #3,033 of 8,365
Well... I just impulse purchased a cocobolo Auteur to go along with my Atticus! RIP wallet. I asked Zach to try and make it similar to the set @L0rdGwyn posted a few pages back. That set is so gorgeous!

I'm kinda nervous. I hope it's worth it!

Just interested in asking, why get Auteur and not Verite when you already got Atticus? Imo Verite and Atticus compliment each other really well..

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #3,034 of 8,365
Just interested in asking, why get Auteur and not Verite when you already got Atticus? Imo Verite and Atticus compliment each other really well..

A few reasons:
1. The Verite is a little out of my price range at the moment.
2. I've seen the Atticus/Auteur combo a lot in people's signatures, so I assumed that those two complemented each other well and were different enough to justify having both. Who knows, maybe the Auteur will end up replacing my Atticus.
3. I read a ton of reviews on ZMF headphones, and based on descriptions, it sounds like the Auteur is what I'm looking for tonally.
4. Not the best reason... but I really like the look of the cocobolo Auteur better than the current Verite editions.

Apr 25, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #3,035 of 8,365
Well... I just impulse purchased a cocobolo Auteur to go along with my Atticus! RIP wallet. I asked Zach to try and make it similar to the set @L0rdGwyn posted a few pages back. That set is so gorgeous!

Nice! I think you'll love it, no reason to be nervous, the Auteur has been lauded for good reason. I own the Atticus and Auteur. While the Atticus is a great "fun" headphone, the Auteur is a step up in soundstage and resolution. It doesn't have the midbass emphasis of the Atticus, the bass is more flat and it reaches lower, gives a good sub-bass rumble when called upon. It is just a very well-rounded headphone overall, does so many genres well. I was surprised, but I actually found it to have a more accentuated bass-presence than I remember from my old Blackwood, could be my bad memory, but I'm lovin' it. The Cocobolo sounds and looks excellent, enjoy!

Apr 25, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #3,036 of 8,365
Nice! I think you'll love it, no reason to be nervous, the Auteur has been lauded for good reason. I own the Atticus and Auteur. While the Atticus is a great "fun" headphone, the Auteur is a step up in soundstage and resolution. It doesn't have the midbass emphasis of the Atticus, the bass is more flat and it reaches lower, gives a good sub-bass rumble when called upon. It is just a very well-rounded headphone overall, does so many genres well. I was surprised, but I actually found it to have a more accentuated bass-presence than I remember from my old Blackwood, could be my bad memory, but I'm lovin' it. The Cocobolo sounds and looks excellent, enjoy!

Thanks, that's reassuring. It's good to hear that these are good all-rounders. That's actually another reason I went for these. That's a huge plus for me.

Apr 25, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #3,037 of 8,365
For the reasons above (more resolution, bigger stage, real sub bass, linear midbass) the Auteur (Wenge - only a few pairs made in this wood, which approaches Padauk in hardness) replaced the Atticus in my collection. It also replaced the LCD-3. And Elear/Elex. Read into that what you will :)

Apr 27, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #3,038 of 8,365

Atticus owner here. I also impulse bought an Auteur (teak) last week, can't wait for them to arrive! I think the Atticus and Auteur will be great compliments to each other.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #3,039 of 8,365
Atticus owner here. I also impulse bought an Auteur (teak) last week, can't wait for them to arrive! I think the Atticus and Auteur will be great compliments to each other.

That's awesome! I'm pretty pumped too. My only concern in terms of complementing is that I use the suede Eikon pads with the Atticus. The mid-bass is just too much for me with the stock pads. The suede Eikon pads seem to even out the frequencies a bit, so I'll be curious if the Atticus with suede Eikon pads ends up sounding closer to the Auteur.

Apr 27, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #3,040 of 8,365
Atticus/Aeolus driver is TPE which is a plastic

Eikon/Auteur driver is biocellulose which is organic material

Verite is PEN (again plastic) dusted with Beryllium

There is no way any of these drivers will sound overly similar irregardless of pad rolling.

Unfortunately this is why I feel like I need one of each. RIP savings account.

Apr 27, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #3,041 of 8,365
That's awesome! I'm pretty pumped too. My only concern in terms of complementing is that I use the suede Eikon pads with the Atticus. The mid-bass is just too much for me with the stock pads. The suede Eikon pads seem to even out the frequencies a bit, so I'll be curious if the Atticus with suede Eikon pads ends up sounding closer to the Auteur.
In that case i think you will love the auteur

Apr 27, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #3,042 of 8,365
Atticus/Aeolus driver is TPE which is a plastic

Eikon/Auteur driver is biocellulose which is organic material

Verite is PEN (again plastic) dusted with Beryllium

There is no way any of these drivers will sound overly similar irregardless of pad rolling.

Unfortunately this is why I feel like I need one of each. RIP savings account.

Gotta catch em all!!!

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #3,043 of 8,365

I also have the suede Eikon pads on the Atticus, I go back and forth with the stock Ori. The suede definitely bring the Atticus more into the realm of neutrality as the mid-bass is toned down, but as stated above, they are distinctly different in timbre from the Auteur due to the driver materials, not to mention closed vs. open back.

Apr 29, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #3,045 of 8,365
Can I briefly rekindle the headphone cable discussion a few pages back? I've always built my own cables, mostly using bulk Moon Audio Black Dragon. I've heard differences between cables, but I eventually adapted the mindset that once cable materials were of high enough quality, differences between high-quality cables were very difficult to confirm over placebo. Just wondering if it is worth reentering that space, do users of silver/silver plated copper really feel the differences are substantial? If so, I might give Norne or Zach's new silver cable a shot.

Here is my Black Dragon ZMF cable I built and use with the Atticus/Auteur. BTW, I wish the rhodium Oyaide 1/4" plugs I use were more widely available, they just feel rugged as hell, bulletproof quality, but are getting hard to come by. Highly recommended!

IMAG0489.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back