ZMF Auteur Thread
Aug 2, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #2,131 of 8,419
Ya but I would have to buy the non vegan material first and then change the pads which is a no go.

I wonder what you would think of the atticus with the suede pads to make it more linear and boost the sub bass. Ya I'd like to hear some tubes and the atticus.
I agree with @Gambitek on this one. I actually tried the Atty with the suede pads in an attempt to drop some of the ‘bloom’ I was hearing from the midbass, and indeed it worked - AND they were the most luxurious feeling earpads I ever tried - but as soon as they started collecting dust and lint, and as soon as I realized I was missing some of that ‘visceral’ Atticus character, I switched back to stock.

IMO earpads should be leather (or pleather if you’re vegan). Just makes more sense from a practical point of view. The worst in this regard are the Elear and Clear stock pads; Elear because they fall apart and soak up all your skin oils, Clear for the same reason - except they’re light grey so unless you’re cleaning them after every use they’ll soon look like a motel bedsheet. :mask:

Thankfully the Atty pads are far superior material and jet black, but still not for me.

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #2,132 of 8,419
I agree with @Gambitek on this one. I actually tried the Atty with the suede pads in an attempt to drop some of the ‘bloom’ I was hearing from the midbass, and indeed it worked - AND they were the most luxurious feeling earpads I ever tried - but as soon as they started collecting dust and lint, and as soon as I realized I was missing some of that ‘visceral’ Atticus character, I switched back to stock.

IMO earpads should be leather (or pleather if you’re vegan). Just makes more sense from a practical point of view. The worst in this regard are the Elear and Clear stock pads; Elear because they fall apart and soak up all your skin oils, Clear for the same reason - except they’re light grey so unless you’re cleaning them after every use they’ll soon look like a motel bedsheet. :mask:

Thankfully the Atty pads are far superior material and jet black, but still not for me.

Maybe we should take this to the Atticus thread but man I really love the suede pads. Of course I am not actually comparing them to the leather but compared to many other headphones I've tried they are probably the most comfortable pads I've ever felt. They also give you a great sensation of being locked into the experience vs thinner pads on some open headphones like hd800S which feels like theres nothing on your head. Both experiences are good for different reasons.

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #2,133 of 8,419
Ya but I would have to buy the non vegan material first and then change the pads which is a no go.

I wonder what you would think of the atticus with the suede pads to make it more linear and boost the sub bass. Ya I'd like to hear some tubes and the atticus.

I really appreciate your dedication...I'm much weaker. I ordered the vegan pads from Zach for my Eikon, but it just didn't sound right. I think they were tuned for the Ori, and Zach does put a lot into his tuning...what works for one doesn't always work for another set of cans.

Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for (and keep us posted!)

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #2,134 of 8,419
Will do jinxy

Anyone recommendations for a really solid headphone stand, something maybe steel with a heavy base? Only one that looks appealing so far is the woo audio stands.

https://wooaudio.com/accessories/hps

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #2,135 of 8,419
Will do jinxy

Anyone recommendations for a really solid headphone stand, something maybe steel with a heavy base? Only one that looks appealing so far is the woo audio stands.

https://wooaudio.com/accessories/hps
I went through the same search over a year ago. I went with the Woo stand. Get it. You'll love it. There isn't anything out there that really compares. I'd suggest going with the double instead of the single.

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #2,136 of 8,419
I went through the same search over a year ago. I went with the Woo stand. Get it. You'll love it. There isn't anything out there that really compares. I'd suggest going with the double instead of the single.

Might get 2 double stands for my headphones then. I'll use my cheap plastic mocreo for my lighter headphones (650 and DT 990 pro)

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #2,137 of 8,419
Maybe we should take this to the Atticus thread but man I really love the suede pads. Of course I am not actually comparing them to the leather but compared to many other headphones I've tried they are probably the most comfortable pads I've ever felt. They also give you a great sensation of being locked into the experience vs thinner pads on some open headphones like hd800S which feels like theres nothing on your head. Both experiences are good for different reasons.
Sorry, you're quite right, but you're also right these are some of the most comfortable pads I've ever tried. First prize goes to the brown LCD-3 leather pads, which are like two warms bosoms on my ears, for want of a more modest description :hushed:

I wonder if the Auteur has similar suede pads on the way - fenestrated of course.

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #2,138 of 8,419
Sorry, you're quite right, but you're also right these are some of the most comfortable pads I've ever tried. First prize goes to the brown LCD-3 leather pads, which are like two warms bosoms on my ears, for want of a more modest description :hushed:

I wonder if the Auteur has similar suede pads on the way - fenestrated of course.

I am listening to the auteur perforated suede pads right now. They sound and feel very deep, smooth and luxurious. Also got the Eikon perforated suede pads with my auteur.

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #2,139 of 8,419
I am listening to the auteur perforated suede pads right now. They sound and feel very deep, smooth and luxurious. Also got the Eikon perforated suede pads with my auteur.
Good to know. I wonder how they affect the Auteur's sound compared to the leather originals?

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #2,140 of 8,419
I was doing a little casual listening last night while watching baseball. Cowon Plenue 2 ==> AlgoRhythm Duet ==> HD-6xx (what the heck, I hadn't listened to them in a while). I started thinking...'Hey, these sound pretty good, maybe I don't need those expensive headphones.'

Random play brought up 'Mother's Daughter' off Santana Abraxas. At that point, I decided to pop on my Auteur and replay the track. There's a percussion instrument which comes in at about 8 seconds on the left channel. On the 6xx, I could hear it, but it had no character. On Auteur, it was much clearer, like the guy was actually standing over there playing. It's a small thing, but the difference was really night-and-day. I went back to the 6xx, and while I could hear more of the character of the instrument (presumably because Auteur had trained my ear/brain what to listen for) it was still quite recessed and less distinct.

And the moral of the story is...Sennheiser veil is a real phenomena, but Auteur rips the veil aside.

Also, for $200, 6xx is a pretty great value. As others have said, it does a lot of things quite well, and nothing really badly.

You gotta feed those 6xx's right to get rid of the veil. :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #2,143 of 8,419
Also replacing the ear pads with tiny inner tubes, being sure to adjust the air pressure for altitude of course!

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #2,145 of 8,419
You gotta feed those 6xx's right to get rid of the veil. :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:
Same story with my desktop rig, (see my sig) -- I think they're well fed. Actually, I'm quite happy with the sound from my portable rig as well. Drive my Auteur and my HEKv2 & HE-560s just fine. And my Utopia sound great directly out of the P2.

I see a lot of mod suggestions, but...nah. I don't dislike them, and I really want to keep them stock -- they're sort of a baseline for comparison to other cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back