ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Sep 8, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #4,876 of 6,196
Has anyone here compared the Atrium with the Caldera Ultra Perforated pads to the Caldera?

I own both, and I really like the Atrium with the stock Universe Leather pads, but the Ultra Perforated pads sound very intriguing. I was wondering would the Atrium with the Ultra Perforated pads sound too similar to the Caldera or is the sound still distinct enough between the two of them?

I am using my Caldera with the stock Caldera Lambskin pads and with the Mantle Mesh installed.

Sep 8, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #4,877 of 6,196
Has anyone here compared the Atrium with the Caldera Ultra Perforated pads to the Caldera?

I own both, and I really like the Atrium with the stock Universe Leather pads, but the Ultra Perforated pads sound very intriguing. I was wondering would the Atrium with the Ultra Perforated pads sound too similar to the Caldera or is the sound still distinct enough between the two of them?

I am using my Caldera with the stock Caldera Lambskin pads and with the Mantle Mesh installed.

I have the Caldera (stock lambskin) and AO (ultra perf) and they remain very different from each other with very distinct presentations.

The AO isn’t changed in character by this pad swap, so all the changes discussed between these headphones remain. The ultra pads just create some extra space and clarity. But the AO retains its thick bass and lush presentation full of decay and reverb, while the Caldera offers its speed, more linear and extended frequency response, and energetic presentation. They are quite unique and very complementary imho.

Sep 8, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #4,878 of 6,196
It's striking how much the sound can change with a pad swap, while still retaining the Atrium characteristics. Fun stuff. Trying a new pair of pads today: Eikon suede. I've only seen very few impressions of them but they remind me a bit of Auteur lamb (makes sense considering they're the same size, just a slightly smaller ear cavity). Compared to Auteur lamb they seem to add warmth, smooths out the highs and any peaks, shrinks the soundstage slightly. I think for a lot of people they might be too warm and overly smooth, depending on source and gear. Addicting though.

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #4,879 of 6,196
Listening to the Auteur OG with the Eufonika H5 miflex and Gustard R26. Currently listening to The Stone Roses 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition and I have never heard it sound this good. Not even on the classic midfi headphone, the ATH-AD2000 which is much faster and leaner. Those intro drums on the track Elephant Stone are just blowing my mind. I was already anxious to get my Atriums and this didn't help lol.

Sep 8, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #4,880 of 6,196
Listening to the Auteur OG with the Eufonika H5 miflex and Gustard R26. Currently listening to The Stone Roses 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition and I have never heard it sound this good. Not even on the classic midfi headphone, the ATH-AD2000 which is much faster and leaner. Those intro drums on the track Elephant Stone are just blowing my mind. I was already anxious to get my Atriums and this didn't help lol.
Absolutely understand the feeling, running atrium and atrium closed on H5 Miflex with the Gustard x26 Pro and think it is a really great match! Think the Sabre dac is my cup of tea…
had the musician pegasus for before this but the gustard really took the otl to another level!

Sep 8, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #4,881 of 6,196
Absolutely understand the feeling, running atrium and atrium closed on H5 Miflex with the Gustard x26 Pro and think it is a really great match! Think the Sabre dac is my cup of tea…
had the musician pegasus for before this but the gustard really took the otl to another level!
Sweet, never knew there was someone else on here who owned ZMF headphones plus the Gustard and H5 miflex. They are an excellent match. The Gustard really improves the Auteur. Anyone who thinks it is lacking in dynamics needs to pair it with the Gustard. Dying to get my Atriums now! Btw, how would you compare the sound between the AC versus the AO.

Sep 8, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #4,884 of 6,196
Sweet, never knew there was someone else on here who owned ZMF headphones plus the Gustard and H5 miflex. They are an excellent match. The Gustard really improves the Auteur. Anyone who thinks it is lacking in dynamics needs to pair it with the Gustard. Dying to get my Atriums now! Btw, how would you compare the sound between the AC versus the AO.
As many have stated similar sound signatures, the AO bigger soundstage but the AC ohh the base … both pairs really well with this setup..
find myself hard to choose which one but which ever I choose it’s hard to let it go for the other..

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #4,885 of 6,196
Anyone have any idea where I can try this or other zmf headphones? Not sure if this is the appropriate thread to do this in but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Your best bet is to try and find a local Head Fi meet and hope someone brings some ZMFs to the meet, or better yet, set aside some time this coming February and attend Canjam NYC. Zmf will be there with more headphones than you can count, and lots of various amps and DACs to try with them as well.

Sep 8, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #4,886 of 6,196
Anyone have any idea where I can try this or other zmf headphones? Not sure if this is the appropriate thread to do this in but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Columbia, MO welcomes you brother, I have almost all the zmfs. Bring some bourbon and we are set.

Sep 8, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #4,887 of 6,196
What system do you have if you want to use the AO?
I don't want to say that the AO would not work if the chain is less good.
A good amplifier makes things easier.
Even though it's 300 ohms, it doesn't need excessive power, but the amp should at least be able to drive it.

Just buy the rest has been history with so many after that,even me.
You can also wait until another nice wood comes along for the Ao, if you don't like the stock Ao. (That's what I did and it took me 1 year to make the final purchase and I was not disappointed).

You can upgrade to a better amplifier at any time, as long as there are no problems with manufacturers 😉.
Surely you can ask here if there are Zmf supporters who live not far from your area why not, so that you are convinced.✌️

Sep 8, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #4,888 of 6,196
You are in luck, there is a meet in Massachusetts next month. Past meets have been amazing and helped me make a number of my headfi purchases. There will be many folks there with ZMFs including me and most of what is in my signature.

Sep 9, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #4,889 of 6,196
So the other day I went to my friend's place and brought another head fier to test his collection. The friend who was the subject of the tests normally uses a moondrop IEM and a dongle dap as his daily driver, so he is a casual head-fier. In addition to the HPs pictured, he got to try Diana TC, LCD-5 and DCA Expanse. Sadly I didn't bring my AC that day. The system was a Gustard R26 connected to Cayin HA-3A powering the HPs.

After trying all the HPs, he still preferred the AO out of all of them. He, with his unbiased ears, praised the AO for its huge soundstage, natural timbre, imaging and sense of space. He liked how everything "sounds natural, BIG, and can pick out where all the instruments are".

He tried the AO first, then the other HPs using the same two reference tracks, and still went back to the AO. He commented that it wasn't the last word on clarity as with the planar HPs, but he barely noticed the difference and liked everything else about it. He valued the other key sonic traits of AO more. Caldera was a close second.

Just thought it was an interesting test and how someone who is not educated about TOTL HPs, and has no expectation biases chose the AO out of all the other options purely on sonics.

20230830_165930.jpg
20230830_165922.jpg20230830_165953.jpg

One of many reason and it feel still like a first love that going strong, tried so many headphone available and still coming back to AO for more intimate session. aside from it's addictive sound, really love the overall design.

Sep 9, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #4,890 of 6,196
These are out for a while now, and i thought i'd offer a few personal observations...

Very good ZMF headphones. My Fav so far., and ive owned them all.
My Atrium's are Koa with True-Oil and look glossy.
I only use the Stock UV pads., and im using Class A power with an R2R Dac.

SOUND ... is More Linear, regarding the FR than the Verite Closed., with better soundstage and instrument separation.

What is the most Misleading and seemingly constant error that you read or hear about the Atrium, regarding its FR ?

A.) Soft treble... soft "leading edge".
B.) Very Warm headphones, VERY noticeable upper bass lower mid...
C,) Its all about the Midrange.

Ok, so, that's not my set.... at all.

Now, regarding the Treble, its not the HEKSE, but its very very good. Its not rounded, its not recessed. Its just very accurate, without being hyper-extended.

If you liked the Auteur, you'll love the Atrium.
If you wished the Verite' had more SS, then you'll love the Atrium.

I also read and watched a lot of reviewers say the Bass is perhaps, "what you notice the most"..
Well, i dont hear that at all.. I hear a well extended Bass, full, very satisfying,.... that is giving you what the music and your power source is telling the Atrium to present.]
It never violates the overall balance of the FR, but it is a real bass response.

One thing more. The "shop" setting of the headband is somewhat "clampy" and if you dont stretch the band a bit, then this will cause the SS to be less 3D, and the bass will also be more "punch".

-Happy Listenng

FB1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back